Finished Mafia LX: Bad Cop, Insane Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
First and foremost, Hi, it's been a while.

Don't see how mass claim gonna work much, especially day 1, I for once not used to it anyway. but that just me, Anyway. I'm off to work
Why would the massclaim not work? It gets us two clears today and if one cop is nightkilled without their result being public, the other is near useless. This ensures we have at least three cop checks going into tomorrow and gives less room for fakeclaims.
This isn't a game doing what we're used to won't work. Unless we lynch scum today we are in LYLO. We need to start playing like it's endgame on Day 1.

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Hmm this is definitely very different than what I'm used to. I'm a bit rusty with Mafia but I suppose that doesn't matter as much here with such a different setup.

So here's the deal. This isn't a normal game of mafia and I'm not going to treat it that way. If we lynch a townie today, we're going into LYLO tomorrow and a single vote ends the game. We need to play with the advantages we have and that's our cops and the fact scum has no daychat.
Here are my two ideas for how we should go about the day:
Option 1: Cop Cover
With this option, every single person acts like they are a cop and says their Night 0 result today. Then, the cops will claim tomorrow. This means that even if a cop dies, we'll have the other cop's results which can help us ascertain sanities. Cops should be able to have a larger survival rate and we have a greater chance of getting both cops on Day 2, but it's worth noting that a cop's results on N2 are useless because of mafia frame so it can only serve as a clear.
Option 2: Massclaim
Everyone claims if they are/are not a cop. We get started with analysis today. Cops have lower life expectancy but this means LYLO fakeclaims can't be a thing.

Preferably, we decide what we're doing today and find an exact time for every player to post their claims tomorrow (probably 10 AM EST or so is best for timezones?). Of my two options, I think the second one is best because I'd like to get clears now and solve around that. I think no form of claiming is foolish but if you have another method lmk.
Option one here, at least from what how I understand it seems like it might be the best option here? Though it also seems the more complicated route, I feel that this could inhibit more of a chance of a possible scum-slip? Either way here, a cop dying tonight seems to be the most likely outcome? But then again the cops results are never guaranteed regardless I signed up before reading how this setup works and just figured it out, let's go.

Massclaim also works, we just have to come to a decision, as NP said.
May be missing something here or misunderstanding, but why do you say that the second option is best?

NinjaPenguin

Hmm this is definitely very different than what I'm used to. I'm a bit rusty with Mafia but I suppose that doesn't matter as much here with such a different setup.

Option one here, at least from what how I understand it seems like it might be the best option here? Though it also seems the more complicated route, I feel that this could inhibit more of a chance of a possible scum-slip? Either way here, a cop dying tonight seems to be the most likely outcome? But then again the cops results are never guaranteed regardless I signed up before reading how this setup works and just figured it out, let's go.

Massclaim also works, we just have to come to a decision, as NP said.
May be missing something here or misunderstanding, but why do you say that the second option is best?
I like the second option more because I prefer the idea of working with upfront info. The value of both cops surviving to N2 is significant, and if we can guaranteed lynch scum today cop cover is the best option imo, but I'd rather just have clears Day 1 than have chance of fake claims in LYLO and be unable to know who is lying and who isn't.
This is also the chance to make sure scum can't coordinate claims because they don't get daychat. If we can ensure a time when everyone is all online and must claim at the same time, it should work out.
The two options feel to me like a choice between safe play (massclaim) or risk-reward (cover). I'd rather take the clears and a likely associative.

Do you have any reads yet @Jadethepokemontrainer?

JadeGemTM

Forum Mod
I like the second option more because I prefer the idea of working with upfront info. The value of both cops surviving to N2 is significant, and if we can guaranteed lynch scum today cop cover is the best option imo, but I'd rather just have clears Day 1 than have chance of fake claims in LYLO and be unable to know who is lying and who isn't.
This is also the chance to make sure scum can't coordinate claims because they don't get daychat. If we can ensure a time when everyone is all online and must claim at the same time, it should work out.
The two options feel to me like a choice between safe play (massclaim) or risk-reward (cover). I'd rather take the clears and a likely associative.
Eh, fair, I get that. Didn't quite connect the part with the scum not being able to talk to each other with this. I'd say it's fair to consider that the scum had also considered this and coordinated something together, but that's dependent on who it is, not really worth thinking too much into.

What really is there for them to coordinate though? There are only 2 roles other than Mafia that they could claim, that being vanilla and cop, so how much does the coordination even matter here? I do agree that the safe play over the risk-reward one would always be ideal in this situation but I'm curious about this. How much does it actually affect us the situation that the scum can't talk in a game like this?

Do you have any reads yet @Jadethepokemontrainer?
I mean, what is there to read so far? All of notice is our back and worth. Clearly you're leading right now, which doesn't clear you of course so make sure y'all remember that. TLS and Drac popped in, didn't contribute much at all but at least Drac said something related to the game, TLS had nothing. Gotta wait to see his response to you. Scattered posted first, just towards the beginning of the day, nothing since then. Haven't heard from the other two and that's about that there.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Nah man the first option is too much convuluted for first timers in this setup. We just mass claim.

So just so we clear, lets say someone received a cop role and a night result of lets say NP as Mafia - They can know for a fact that they are town, but they can't know for sure if their result is true cause they might be insane? Right?

NinjaPenguin

Eh, fair, I get that. Didn't quite connect the part with the scum not being able to talk to each other with this. I'd say it's fair to consider that the scum had also considered this and coordinated something together, but that's dependent on who it is, not really worth thinking too much into.

What really is there for them to coordinate though? There are only 2 roles other than Mafia that they could claim, that being vanilla and cop, so how much does the coordination even matter here? I do agree that the safe play over the risk-reward one would always be ideal in this situation but I'm curious about this. How much does it actually affect us the situation that the scum can't talk in a game like this?

I mean, what is there to read so far? All of notice is our back and worth. Clearly you're leading right now, which doesn't clear you of course so make sure y'all remember that. TLS and Drac popped in, didn't contribute much at all but at least Drac said something related to the game, TLS had nothing. Gotta wait to see his response to you. Scattered posted first, just towards the beginning of the day, nothing since then. Haven't heard from the other two and that's about that there.
I'm not going to talk about that right now.

You just gave me a ton of information. What there is indicative of alignment, if anything?
Nah man the first option is too much convuluted for first timers in this setup. We just mass claim.

So just so we clear, lets say someone received a cop role and a night result of lets say NP as Mafia - They can know for a fact that they are town, but they can't know for sure if their result is true cause they might be insane? Right?
You're correct (and that's not even factoring in the existence of a framer).
The only utility to cop checks comes when you have both cops' results because we're then able to figure out associatives at the very least (the two together can function as a sort of parity cop, though framer can mess with that).

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
So let’s say we mass claim do we let the cops go first or the vanillas? That’s also a question right there cause it might play a role in reading players.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Well, this is certainly a big start to the game. No RVS this time :p

Anyhow, I think the massclaim idea allows for a more straightforward game - the cop cover feels maybe too advanced.
I will have to give early reads later, been busy a little.

This is interesting, I don't think I've ever played a game like this, even IRL.

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
At this moment 4 people are agreeing with massclaim, hence that is majority choice. I didn't earlier said I don't much support it but I rather do it then the first choice to be honest since that choice seem a little bit complicated

NinjaPenguin

So let’s say we mass claim do we let the cops go first or the vanillas? That’s also a question right there cause it might play a role in reading players.
Neither, they all claim at the same time. Set up a synchronized massclaim, get everyone to agree to the timing, and go.
At this moment 4 people are agreeing with massclaim, hence that is majority choice. I didn't earlier said I don't much support it but I rather do it then the first choice to be honest since that choice seem a little bit complicated
Why don't you support it? What would you recommend we do instead?

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
Neither, they all claim at the same time. Set up a synchronized massclaim, get everyone to agree to the timing, and go.

Why don't you support it? What would you recommend we do instead?

what’s the strategy behind that? You just gave everyone an excuse for the time they chose to claim. You can’t control everyone posting at once anyway, there is a list of posts. If someone posted later it’s not indicative because irl they may have been interrupted.

NinjaPenguin

Can I ask about your reads NP?
Sure you can. But first answer my question. None of what you said was at all alignment reads you were just stating facts. What is towny and scummy to you from what you listed and why?
what’s the strategy behind that? You just gave everyone an excuse for the time they chose to claim. You can’t control everyone posting at once anyway, there is a list of posts. If someone posted later it’s not indicative because irl they may have been interrupted.
The only reason claim order matters is that people can lie, right? It's a lot harder to tell if you should lie if scum when you have literally no info on what everyone else has said.
If we set up an official timer and have everyone post within 15 seconds of it or explain why they couldn't, it should work.

JadeGemTM

Forum Mod
Sure you can. But first answer my question. None of what you said was at all alignment reads you were just stating facts. What is towny and scummy to you from what you listed and why?
Oh gotcha, that's what I had misunderstood about your question.

I was simply stating that there isn't much info to go off of yet in that sense. There hasn't been much by anyone to give a full read besides just kinda going off what I said, at least in my opinion. However I can certainly try.

NP could lean either way for me right now but currently I am reading more townie that scum. The massclaim idea could just be a way for him and his scum buddy to get information on what's what here, and if so it's brilliant, but it's not like there is many other options for the town either. So NP leans town as of now.
Scattered also leans town I guess? He's asked some valid questions, started the day off noting RVS would not be useful here, leaning townie on my radar so far.
TLS I'm just going to leave neutral right now. He's done next to nothing besides say he's bad at the game, so I'd like to see more from him. This could be seen as scummy, an excuse for misplays, so keeping that on the radar, but it's impossible to say anything for him right now.
Drac hasn't given much at all either, except claim that they don't really like either of NP's ideas. Would like to see how they respond to NP's questions before anything, so neutral.
Ephe's posted like once? TLS 2.0 in that regard. Can't say much besides that or maybe I'm just really bad at reads. Neutral.

That's my two cents. More than half this thread has been you, so it's hard to have too much on the others as of now. Would love to see what you have to say.

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
Somehow I can't do the quote properly..

1. "Why don't you support it? What would you recommend we do instead?"
- It's probably just me since I don't know how to read/react based on mass claim information. However as I don't particularly have a suggestion of my own, I would gladly support the majority decision if it meant information could be usefull for the others.

2. "If we set up an official timer and have everyone post within 15 seconds of it or explain why they couldn't, it should work."
- That would be most difficult espcieally with our different timezone and daily activities (myself living in a totally different timezone with everyone else and me working at the office where i can't exactly set a specific time to be on the forum while there)

3. This is how I see you guys at the moments
- NinjaPenguin & Jadethepokemontrainer - In a larger setup I would been totally convince if you 2 could be mafia partner who'se leading excellently. But with this numbers, 75% chance you guys are townie.
- Ephemera & scattered mind - Compare to the other 4, i would say you guys are in the middle, since the above 2 start their conversation first making them more involved. 50% chance you guys are townie. (I probably rate myself slighly below scattered if I view in the 3rd person perspective as I know I hardly say much.)
- TheAquaPiplup & The Last Shaymin - with the almost non-existence presence, could just be hard to be active. Wouldn't be surprise if one of them is actully scum who's laying low 25% chance you guys are townie.

NinjaPenguin

The massclaim idea could just be a way for him and his scum buddy to get information on what's what here, and if so it's brilliant,
If this idea is potentially brilliant for scum, why are you going along with it?
This could be seen as scummy, an excuse for misplays, so keeping that on the radar,
You say it could be seen as scummy. Do you see it as scummy?

JadeGemTM

Forum Mod
If this idea is potentially brilliant for scum, why are you going along with it?
It's brilliant for scum in the sense that it gives them info on the cops. However, I don't see what other options town has, and it helps us as well. It gives everyone information, both town and scum, but just about anything we do as of now would do this.

You say it could be seen as scummy. Do you see it as scummy?
I see it as possibly being scummy. Using the excuse of not being good could be a way to cover up for him being scum. So I want to keep an eye on them. So to answer your question, I could see the post as being scummy, but I'm not sure how that sits in regards to TLS.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
The only reason claim order matters is that people can lie, right? It's a lot harder to tell if you should lie if scum when you have literally no info on what everyone else has said.
If we set up an official timer and have everyone post within 15 seconds of it or explain why they couldn't, it should work.

Yeah I get it but what's the problem to lie if you have a specific time to prepare for?

I just think that it would be much more effective to see the order of people claiming on their own pace and read into their claim and timing. Which is why I also think it would be beneficial to decide to call townies/cops first - that way the scum need to really think through when and what they want to claim based on other people's claims- Not their pure mindset - Why? cause after town/scum flip- maybe we'll have a better chance to read into their interactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.