'Eruption Walker' Japan's Mini-Set for April!

Otaku

The wise fool?
Wouldn't say it's even good there, because it doesn't have a Trumbeak nor Jumpluff. You're limited to discarding your Pokemon with Roxie and Polteageist - which might be okay, but it's definitely slower, linear and predictable.
  • Acro Bike
  • Clay
  • Hapu
  • Ingo & Emmet
  • Jessie & James
  • Milo
  • Oleana
  • Professor's Research
  • Quick Ball
  • TAG TEAM Supporters
I left off pre-TEU cards like Mysterious Treasure as - for us - it will likely only be Standard-legal alongside "Mad Party" cards for a very short time, if at all.

As Professor's Research and Quick Ball are staples in general, I'm guessing they were supposed to be givens. I know, I know... few of these are probably going to be worthwhile, though I think Clay might have some potential if there was a way to get all your Twin Energy out of your deck before hand. Or to recycle them, preferably via Item card.

Note: This is not me saying that Mad Party will be a good deck, either in Standard, Expanded, or Yaginku's Single-Prize Only Format. His comment just got me wondering what other tricks one might use to discard said Pokémon in a post-TEU cardpool, and I figured I may as well share my list.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Since your main attackers will be Polteageist and Bunnelby you can run four Twin Energy and four Triple Acceleration Energy. The mad hatter (Mr. Rime) and the dormouse (Dedenne) are only there to be discarded with Polteageist. You also want one Mew and three copies of Big Parasol to protect you from spread.

You are right, though I would probably only run 2, or at best 3 TAE. Ideally you will be attacking with Bunnelby. The problem now tho, is devoting the 4 extra spaces for Sinistea. You are already at 20 mons with this, without taking into account Dedenne copies or techs like Mew. I guess the low energy count helps, since you would have 6 energies max + 25 mons + 29 trainers.

• Acro Bike
  • Clay
  • Hapu
  • Ingo & Emmet
  • Jessie & James
  • Milo
  • Oleana
  • Professor's Research
  • Quick Ball
  • TAG TEAM Supporters
I left off pre-TEU cards like Mysterious Treasure as - for us - it will likely only be Standard-legal alongside "Mad Party" cards for a very short time, if at all.
As Professor's Research and Quick Ball are staples in general, I'm guessing they were supposed to be givens. I know, I know... few of these are probably going to be worthwhile, though I think Clay might have some potential if there was a way to get all your Twin Energy out of your deck before hand. Or to recycle them, preferably via Item card.
Note: This is not me saying that Mad Party will be a good deck, either in Standard, Expanded, or Yaginku's Single-Prize Only Format. His comment just got me wondering what other tricks one might use to discard said Pokémon in a post-TEU cardpool, and I figured I may as well share my list.
Mad Party is at least warranted to be a rogue-tier deck in expanded, since it utterly outclasses Night March for all purposes. Dimensional Valley helps Dedenne, hitting electric weakness with Joltik doesn't matter nearly as much, and you still have the option for Marshadow GX if you are concerned about OHKOing Dark, Electric or Colorless, you don't need as much damage modifiers as Night March needed to main in the latest formats, and you hit OHKO numbers far more easily. Just get rid of 4 filler cards in the night march shell, and you have a ready to play Mad Party deck.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Basic Pokemon with easily usable Item Lock? What's basically Night March in the form of "Mad Party"?

.....I think they're trying to remake 2016 format.

Mcsonic00

Less Filler Cards Please
Why they have to do Kabu dirty? We need a Cynthia replacement (she is getting rotated when rotation comes around). Kabu should be changed to the following:

Kabu – Trainer
Supporter

Shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 6 cards. If you only have 1 Pokemon in play, draw 8 cards instead.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Last edited:

Otaku

The wise fool?
Why they have to do Kabu dirty? We need a Cynthia replacement (she is getting rotated when rotation comes around). Kabu should be changed to the following:

Kabu – Trainer
Supporter

Shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 6 cards. If you only have 1 Pokemon in play, draw 8 cards instead.

You may play ony 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Are you saying Cynthia isn't good enough? Because your Kabu is a Cynthia plus an added bonus. o_O

I wonder if Kabu is too weak, but I just think it should shuffle-and-draw for five, as that seems to be the minimum for solid draw power, and maybe shuffle and draw 10 since it can be very dangerous to have just one Pokémon in play. Which may be "too good" or "too poor" but whatever it is, it isn't a better Cynthia. A better Shauna, sure, but Cynthia already is a better Shauna. ;)

Mcsonic00

Less Filler Cards Please
Are you saying Cynthia isn't good enough? Because your Kabu is a Cynthia plus an added bonus. o_O

I wonder if Kabu is too weak, but I just think it should shuffle-and-draw for five, as that seems to be the minimum for solid draw power, and maybe shuffle and draw 10 since it can be very dangerous to have just one Pokémon in play. Which may be "too good" or "too poor" but whatever it is, it isn't a better Cynthia. A better Shauna, sure, but Cynthia already is a better Shauna. ;)

Only having 1 Pokemon in play literally happens once a match or not at all even. Most of the time it won't even work; it really only works once in the very early turns when you whiff a basic to bench. You have to put yourself at a disadvantage to pull off shuffle draw 8 multiple times. If the shuffle draw 4 was a shuffle draw 6 instead, the card would only barely be better than Cynthia. Sure, it would be a stronger version of Cynthia by a tad, but I think Kabu being the way I said lets it be more balanced with Professor's Research. Cynthia is going to rotate when rotation happens. Marnie needs to not be the only real shuffle-draw option, because constantly getting your hand disrupted would make many decks not viable. Having a shuffle draw option better than Marnie most of the time is a healthy thing I would say. You should only try to Marnie when the opponent is holding a bunch of cards/just searched their deck for specific cards, not because Marnie is the best shuffle draw option also combined with a disruption effect.

I don't think Kabu would be good enough if it was shuffle draw 5 cards instead of 4 because the shuffle draw 8 is so hard to pull off. I think they could do this if they go that route:

Kabu – Trainer
Supporter

Shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 5 cards. If you have 2 or fewer Pokemon in play, draw 7 cards instead.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Last edited:

Mcsonic00

Less Filler Cards Please
getting 3-4 manual attachments onto one Pokemon, a STAGE 2 Pokemon. That's ALOT to ask for

2 attachments if you Welder. That would be the fastest way to charge him up without using Karate Belt. Using Twin Energy and Karate Belt would be the ideal way to charge him up, but if you do that, you'd need a Zigzigoon to do 10 damage to get to 320 damage.

Last edited:

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
This could actually be really viable on the first turn of the game. Since you usually have only one pokemon to start if you go second this would be really good.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
He's really not viable. For every edge-case scenario where it draws 8 cards, there is a 1000 scenarios where he draws four. It would need an extremely specific deck, which I don't believe exists in Standard at the moment.

However, he's one of these supporters that help bad decks - if a beginner gets stuck on one Pokemon, they can use this one to great benefit. It's random, but beginners generally don't care about random as much. On the flipside, I don't believe he's "flashy" enough to draw attention of a beginner in the first place.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Can't wait to see how AMAZING this card looks in Rainbow form! Like all Rainbow cards and their charm, being totally not cheap-looking, not unappealing, not uneasy on the eyes, and totally not being an inferior looking card to their normal counterparts! Every set needs them, it's totally not padding! Haha!

Clam

Almost decent
WOW I really think this card isn't super amazing but I do like the art for this.

NOW GIVE ME SUPPORTERS THAT ARE DOING SOMETHING INSTEAD OF JUST LOOKING AT YOU LIKE THIS ONE IS PLEASEEEE

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
He's really not viable. For every edge-case scenario where it draws 8 cards, there is a 1000 scenarios where he draws four. It would need an extremely specific deck, which I don't believe exists in Standard at the moment.

However, he's one of these supporters that help bad decks - if a beginner gets stuck on one Pokemon, they can use this one to great benefit. It's random, but beginners generally don't care about random as much. On the flipside, I don't believe he's "flashy" enough to draw attention of a beginner in the first place.

I think the one potential argument here is that _first turn_, it's fairly common to only have one Pokémon out. It's one more out to a quicker start than Professor's Research or Cynthia would give you. While it won't be a good play on "good" starts, it would be a card that reduced the odds of total bombs.

Still not good in all that many decks - maybe only those that have relatively few basics to begin with; Malamar isn't using this, for example, that should have plenty of Pokémon out even turn one. But as a first turn supporter in, say, ADP Zacian? Where you are perfectly okay with just ADP out there - or just Jirachi even - until you've played this? But further, you really _need_ a good start? Professor's Research is still the primary choice I think, but - 8 over 6 is a big advantage isn't it (vs. Cynthia), if you're not going to play Marnie? Maybe that makes it worthwhile... I'm not sure, honestly, but I wouldn't write it off: anything that reduces the chance of a really bad start seems like it could be worthwhile.

dmein89

Aspiring Trainer
I like that is shuffles your hand so you can look at new cards, but I would rather play Lillie over this.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I like that is shuffles your hand so you can look at new cards, but I would rather play Lillie over this.

Lillie only works if you go second, though, while this can work in either seat (how many going-first hands have you played where you just attached and passed for your first turn basically?) Still works better going second, but at least it's not barred from being useful going first...

Z_dude

Aspiring Trainer
Lillie only works if you go second, though, while this can work in either seat (how many going-first hands have you played where you just attached and passed for your first turn basically?) Still works better going second, but at least it's not barred from being useful going first...
you can't play supporters on your first turn