'Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution' Debuting on Netflix on Pokemon's Anniversary!

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Will admit, I do find it a little weird that this movie's premiering as a Netflix exclusive instead of getting a cinema run like the previous films (Also mainly because some of the last few anime-based films that hit there as a 'Netflix Exclusive' tended to be just the teeniest bit dire - I'll just leave Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist as examples, there, not comparing it to those two at all, just saying XP), but I'm sure they've got their reasons for doing this, and it'll hit a wide-enough audience.

Also nice to see they got Dan Green back to reprise Mewtwo, so that's a bonus in itself.

silversalamence10

Top Hat Regulator
It's nice to see that it got dubbed, but I'm disappointed that it went straight to Netflix, then again Dragon Quest: Your Story was snapped up by the streaming platform as well, so I figured that this would end up being the case.

Also nice to see they got Dan Green back to reprise Mewtwo, so that's a bonus in itself.
Apparently some people are saying that it isn't Dan Green, but I will say that it's nice that they got the VA who voiced Dr Fuji to reprise his role.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know why they didn't promote this last year but they did promote it this year as a Netflix Exclusive movie, is it because the CGI is too bad that is unsuitable for cinema release

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Apparently some people are saying that it isn't Dan Green, but I will say that it's nice that they got the VA who voiced Dr Fuji to reprise his role.

If that isn't Dan Green, then it's a pretty convincing soundalike to say the very least :)

Winkachu

Aspiring Trainer
Will admit, I do find it a little weird that this movie's premiering as a Netflix exclusive instead of getting a cinema run like the previous films (Also mainly because some of the last few anime-based films that hit there as a 'Netflix Exclusive' tended to be just the teeniest bit dire - I'll just leave Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist as examples, there, not comparing it to those two at all, just saying XP), but I'm sure they've got their reasons for doing this, and it'll hit a wide-enough audience.

Keep in mind big-screen competition is getting more and more visible. It used to be that January - February and then September- October was a dumping ground for movies that will fail in the box office. But in the past few years that has changed, take an example, Marvel, they started to release their movies during the early spring season because with so many movies being released during the hot summer season they can't even have 1-2 week gap. And same thing other studios doing it. Pokemon simply isn't that huge a brand to attract a large audience and with only hardcore fans, it doesn't justify to release on the big screen. So yea cinema has evolved into the really exclusive ground for the big-budget movies.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
I’ll watch it, but the animation is even janky-er with dubbed voices. I can also see why this didn’t get a theatrical release anywhere but Japan and why the next movie is back to more traditional animation. It’s just awkward looking and off putting, especially the human characters.

aaron2310

Aspiring Trainer
I was hoping we'd get this in the cinema in November last year, like we have for the last couple of years of Pokemon movies, but I'm glad it's coming out somewhere. Looking forward to actually giving this a go.