'VMAX Rising,' Japan's February Set!

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Every TCG has archetype-specific cards. It's so that certain types are better at certain things and to prevent every deck from looking basically the same.
Pokemon TCG is a really bad game to make an example out of in that case, since there's almost no correlation between types and playstyles/abilities.
Scarf is not a card that creates an archetype, it's a card that supports one. There's a couple of cards (mostly Grass) that work off the amount of Special Conditions an opposing Pokemon has. It would not make them playable, but it would give them an interesting option.

Bdez90

Aspiring Trainer
why are they making VMax cards without using Gigantimax forms? I get they aren't out in the games yet but I thought that was the whole purpose of Vmax. I guess in reality it's just their excuse to make Hyper Rares of the starters since they're only doing HR's of Vmax cards. But at the same time, they own the TCG. They can do whatever they want.

Nothing stopping them from making Hyper versions of normal V Full Arts. Also, looks like 5Ban somehow got worse? The models on these (especially Inteleon) just look gross lol. Just let Ryo Ueda or at the very least PLANETA take care of the FA's

Because V cards are not dynamaxed. VMax cards are either dynamaxed or gigantamaxed.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Vs arent dynamaxed. Vs are regular pokemon. They max with v max, hence the name and the red clouds on the card, along with it saying that its maxed.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon TCG is a really bad game to make an example out of in that case, since there's almost no correlation between types and playstyles/abilities.
Scarf is not a card that creates an archetype, it's a card that supports one. There's a couple of cards (mostly Grass) that work off the amount of Special Conditions an opposing Pokemon has. It would not make them playable, but it would give them an interesting option.
But Fire-types are typically the source of burns. And there are some aspects that are more common with certain types in this TCG, such as Grass using special conditions as you pointed out.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Arcanine - Sure Burning Scarf can give Arcanine 230 HP and Burns opponents when hit, but the atk, GOSH! So Vanilla and nothing too special. No reason to play with. And also Weakness to Frosmoth. 3 Geodudes

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
  • Arcanine - Sure Burning Scarf can give Arcanine 230 HP and Burns opponents when hit, but the atk, GOSH! So Vanilla and nothing too special. No reason to play with. And also Weakness to Frosmoth. 3 Geodudes
I disagree, the attack is good. It fits perfectly on a 230 beast that burns the opponent when it is hit. It 2-shots basically any tag team (with burn damage) and ohkos almost all non-gxs.

You basically said that tina should see no play because the attack is "nothing too special."

Wechselbalg

brb
I disagree, the attack is good. It fits perfectly on a 230 beast that burns the opponent when it is hit. It 2-shots basically any tag team (with burn damage) and ohkos almost all non-gxs.

You basically said that tina should see no play because the attack is "nothing too special."

This really is a stretch though because

a) Tina is a basic
b) it gets itself back from the discard in a meta where Pokemon recovery is very limited
c) does spread damage to the bench with its ability
d) can be powered up in a turn without having to use a supporter

And despite all this, Malamar builds have been quite lacklustre as of late because of high HP basics and Mallow&Lana. This makes a card like Arcanine look really unimpressive, and the +100 HP really won't matter when Frosmoth decks will most likely become meta.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
. This makes a card like Arcanine look really unimpressive, and the +100 HP really won't matter when Frosmoth decks will most likely become meta.

While i agree on the statement that the beforementioned comparison is a stretch and that Arcanine does not look like a power card I am more reluctant to believe the last statement that Frosmoth will be a dominant force. Pikachu and Zekrum seem to do fine in the Sword and Shield meta and Morpeko hit and run tactics are also viable. Note that Morpeko uses a hit and run tactic combined with hand reduction on the opponent's side and can switch into a more standard beatdown style later on. This means that there will be two decent decks that hit almost all attackers available to frosmoth for weakness. The remaining ones can neither tank as much as Lapras Vmax would be able to do without the weakness, nor are they able to achieve a ohko. Personally I believe that Frosmoth is a power card in waiting for a decent partner. However I would like to stress that I still agree on the conclusion regarding Arcanine. We are talking about a stage one Pokémon that does not hit hard enough and seems to be outclasses by various other attackers available to fire decks in the Sword and Shield meta.

Clam

Almost decent
arcanine looks nice 230 hp on a non V/GX and 130 dmg that can 2 shot most TTGX seem like a pretty decent card the only issue i see is getting burning scarf on it but still its just a good card

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
And here I am just hoping for a Vmax Arcanine card, so I can finally get my wish of a Rainbow Rare Arcanine....

Wechselbalg

brb
While i agree on the statement that the beforementioned comparison is a stretch and that Arcanine does not look like a power card I am more reluctant to believe the last statement that Frosmoth will be a dominant force. Pikachu and Zekrum seem to do fine in the Sword and Shield meta and Morpeko hit and run tactics are also viable. Note that Morpeko uses a hit and run tactic combined with hand reduction on the opponent's side and can switch into a more standard beatdown style later on. This means that there will be two decent decks that hit almost all attackers available to frosmoth for weakness. The remaining ones can neither tank as much as Lapras Vmax would be able to do without the weakness, nor are they able to achieve a ohko. Personally I believe that Frosmoth is a power card in waiting for a decent partner.

Frosmoth doesn't have to rely on Lapras V-Max alone though, it also has access to Palkia-GX, and with Misty&Lorelei you can realistically pull off a Zero Vanish twice per game, which is quite disruptive. Some other water pokemon that do not share Lapras' lightning weakness are: baby Lapras (130 HP, 10+30 dmg for every water energy attached) Blastoise&Piplup Tag Team, Magikarp&Wailord Tag Team, Vaporeon-GX (which also has scaling damage). Nothing in Pikarom has that much HP, and Morpeko is also quite squishy for a two-prizer, so it's not that hard to tech pokemon in Frosmoth decks that can deal with lightning types. Against dolls+Morpeko you can use Volcanion Prism to force the doll out of the active.

Last edited:

Wailord's Pokemon

Pokemon TCG player. 2019 Worlds Competitor.
This really is a stretch though because

a) Tina is a basic
b) it gets itself back from the discard in a meta where Pokemon recovery is very limited
c) does spread damage to the bench with its ability
d) can be powered up in a turn without having to use a supporter

And despite all this, Malamar builds have been quite lacklustre as of late because of high HP basics and Mallow&Lana. This makes a card like Arcanine look really unimpressive, and the +100 HP really won't matter when Frosmoth decks will most likely become meta.
They're talking about the nature of the attack, not what Pokemon it's on