'VMAX Rising,' Japan's February Set!

MeatBrick64

Aspiring Trainer
why are they making VMax cards without using Gigantimax forms? I get they aren't out in the games yet but I thought that was the whole purpose of Vmax. I guess in reality it's just their excuse to make Hyper Rares of the starters since they're only doing HR's of Vmax cards. But at the same time, they own the TCG. They can do whatever they want.

Nothing stopping them from making Hyper versions of normal V Full Arts. Also, looks like 5Ban somehow got worse? The models on these (especially Inteleon) just look gross lol. Just let Ryo Ueda or at the very least PLANETA take care of the FA's

Clam

Almost decent
why are they making VMax cards without using Gigantimax forms? I get they aren't out in the games yet but I thought that was the whole purpose of Vmax. I guess in reality it's just their excuse to make Hyper Rares of the starters since they're only doing HR's of Vmax cards. But at the same time, they own the TCG. They can do whatever they want.

Nothing stopping them from making Hyper versions of normal V Full Arts. Also, looks like 5Ban somehow got worse? The models on these (especially Inteleon) just look gross lol. Just let Ryo Ueda or at the very least PLANETA take care of the FA's
Yeah i do think its strange but maybe for variety plus the gigatamax are not here yet but knowing pokemon... money its probably so they can advertise there Gmax later

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Rillaboom VMAX - Although adding an evo card would be a mess in a Rillaboom deck like that, that VMAX is worth of an investment. 280 for 4 and Rillaboom can get it rolling is GOOD! The question is.. the looping of this atk because OK, you may discard 3 to do 280, how will you recover the energy back to do 280 again? Baby Cinderace #HeyNick! can loop doing 190 because of the ability, I dunno on this Rillaboom, maybe using 2 Fishing Rods? 1 Brock's Grit? I dunno, it'll be inconsistent. 4 Geodudes Run Weakness Guard since that drummer ape is still weak to Welder
  • Cinderace VMAX - Ok, 320 HP is a lot for Cinderace VMAX. Assuming you are not facing a Water deck and Cinder can tank the hit. Assuming Cinder receives 230 from Reshizard, 1 Welder can make Cinder hit for 260 and not even do a KO a Reshizard back (no Vital Band. Vital Band will KO it anyway) there are always downsides to this. 3 for 170 is enough to KO basic GXs and Mini Vs, but not enough to impress me (Burn doesn't count!) 4 Geodudes
  • Inteleon VMAX - 60 for 1 energy, KOs Snom, KOs evolving Basics. 160 for 3, fine! Don't like it. Without the weakness thing, this is basically 2HKO, which sometimes I don't like. You only KO non-Vs which is not worth of using QuagMoth. Sorry guys, I'm just too negative today. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Turfield Gym - Good for Grass Decks! 4 Geodudes
  • Water Bucket - Good for decks using Frosmoth! 5 Geodudes
  • Burning Scarf - Special Conditions are being ignored in the meta, why do we care about that? 3 Geodudes

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I don't get why the scarf has to work on Fire Pokemon only and the Bucket only finds Water Energy. Feels like pointless limiting of effects.

Poke_collector

Aspiring Trainer
The regular V cards aren’t our English promos because the artwork is different so we may get these versions in our SwSh 2 set

Wailord's Pokemon

Pokemon TCG player. 2019 Worlds Competitor.
  • Rillaboom VMAX - Although adding an evo card would be a mess in a Rillaboom deck like that, that VMAX is worth of an investment. 280 for 4 and Rillaboom can get it rolling is GOOD! The question is.. the looping of this atk because OK, you may discard 3 to do 280, how will you recover the energy back to do 280 again? Baby Cinderace #HeyNick! can loop doing 190 because of the ability, I dunno on this Rillaboom, maybe using 2 Fishing Rods? 1 Brock's Grit? I dunno, it'll be inconsistent. 4 Geodudes Run Weakness Guard since that drummer ape is still weak to Welder
  • Cinderace VMAX - Ok, 320 HP is a lot for Cinderace VMAX. Assuming you are not facing a Water deck and Cinder can tank the hit. Assuming Cinder receives 230 from Reshizard, 1 Welder can make Cinder hit for 260 and not even do a KO a Reshizard back (no Vital Band. Vital Band will KO it anyway) there are always downsides to this. 3 for 170 is enough to KO basic GXs and Mini Vs, but not enough to impress me (Burn doesn't count!) 4 Geodudes
  • Inteleon VMAX - 60 for 1 energy, KOs Snom, KOs evolving Basics. 160 for 3, fine! Don't like it. Without the weakness thing, this is basically 2HKO, which sometimes I don't like. You only KO non-Vs which is not worth of using QuagMoth. Sorry guys, I'm just too negative today. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Turfield Gym - Good for Grass Decks! 4 Geodudes
  • Water Bucket - Good for decks using Frosmoth! 5 Geodudes
  • Burning Scarf - Special Conditions are being ignored in the meta, why do we care about that? 3 Geodudes
Rillaboom is easily the best one imo. It'll be a 1-of in a Rillaboom (if that's good, the idea of it being good is my theory) deck as something to surprise your opponent (like Koko-GX in Vikabulu and Vikaray and like Bulu-GX in Vikaray).

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
Looks like Pokémon TCG revealed a new Slosher weapon for Splatoon.

Jokes aside, Full Bucket is pretty much tailor-made for Frosmoth. Just keep pouring buckets of Water energy on your pokémon and douse your opponent.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I don't get why the scarf has to work on Fire Pokemon only and the Bucket only finds Water Energy. Feels like pointless limiting of effects.
I think it makes it easier to balance the game, in particular with a thought towards expanded, when the effects are more limited for the stronger cards.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I think it makes it easier to balance the game, in particular with a thought towards expanded, when the effects are more limited for the stronger cards.
Bucket is objectively worse than Professor's Letter and Scarf's ability won't break no metagame.
It's obviously made so Rillaboom's deck has a Grass-focused card, Cinderace's deck has a Fire-focused card and Inteleon's deck has a Water-focused card. And while none of them are much to write home about, the ability to burn your opponent on damage is somewhat interesting and could find it's place in niche/casual decks.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Every TCG has archetype-specific cards. It's so that certain types are better at certain things and to prevent every deck from looking basically the same.