Pokemon VMAX, Sword & Shield Cards, Meowth V MAX Special Collection Revealed!

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
"3 prize cards"
No. Three prize card Pokemon are currently making the game absolutely dreadful.
I suppose these are marginally better by being evolutions, but they also lack GX attacks, removing a layer of complexity from the game.

The health pools have, again, been powercreeped, but I see that damage numbers aren't that high. In theory, that stops the game from being so reliant on OHKOs, but that's not how this works. These attacks can still OHKO regular Pokemon, which powercreeps regular Pokemon to deal with V-MAXes - and high health numbers mean that, if Full Heal or Scoop effects get a reprint, they'll be completely broken.

AlphaTheKineticGuardian

Aspiring Trainer
I absolutely love these V-Max cards, basically combines the raw power of Tag Teams with the option of running their smaller forms like regular GXs.

Just love the idea of strategising when is the best time to go V-Max (if at all) based on the power of the V-Max, your opponent's board state etc.

The Ultimate Umbreon

To Ultra space and beyond!
Okay, a lot I want to go over.

V-Max looks insane, but with only one attack, and none of the three revealed so far being mindblowingky good, we should be safe for now. The regular Pokemon V seem underpowered, at least compared to the GX cards we got with SM. Zacian and Zamazenta could both end up being good, as it looks like this first set will have plenty of steel support.
Of course there are full art V Pokemon. Honestly, like GX cards, we don't really need them, but as long as we don't see the Rainbow Rare or Alternate Art treatment for any of these it should be okay. It's not that those ideas aren't good on their own. It's having up to four prints of a single card, some of which aren't even playable, taking up slots in your pull ratio that could be valuable cards that irked me with Rainbow Rares. It will be fun to look back on them, but I'm relive do they seem to be gone. It's a shame the GX era is over so soon, but I get they wanted something new. 202 cards in one set is massive, and 17 V Pokemon for their debut set I still massive overkill, and those pull rates better be high. 35 trainer cards hosts a lot of new possibilities, and I hope at least 6 of our new unrevaled V cards are good.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
At this point there is no point to play any Stage 2 or non Pokémon V at all...
Zacian is really nasty and getting even a support trainer card in the same set!

I really hoped and wished the power creep in this game would come to a halt or even be turned down a bit (as they tried when S/W started and with HGSS) but they instead just kicked it into overdrive! :/

Alexandraka

Aspiring Trainer
I spy with my little an...a mother truckin' Evolutions pack.

For real though, the cards look REALLY good!

danieljf1989

Aspiring Trainer
I have one question about the "Meowth VMAX Special Collection". Dos it come with a PTCGO code? It doesn't say anything about that...

MilesEX

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, a lot I want to go over.

V-Max looks insane, but with only one attack, and none of the three revealed so far being mindblowingky good, we should be safe for now. The regular Pokemon V seem underpowered, at least compared to the GX cards we got with SM. Zacian and Zamazenta could both end up being good, as it looks like this first set will have plenty of steel support.
Of course there are full art V Pokemon. Honestly, like GX cards, we don't really need them, but as long as we don't see the Rainbow Rare or Alternate Art treatment for any of these it should be okay. It's not that those ideas aren't good on their own. It's having up to four prints of a single card, some of which aren't even playable, taking up slots in your pull ratio that could be valuable cards that irked me with Rainbow Rares. It will be fun to look back on them, but I'm relive do they seem to be gone. It's a shame the GX era is over so soon, but I get they wanted something new. 202 cards in one set is massive, and 17 V Pokemon for their debut set I still massive overkill, and those pull rates better be high. 35 trainer cards hosts a lot of new possibilities, and I hope at least 6 of our new unrevaled V cards are good.

Meowth V and VMax coming in their own box, so another 4 plus the starter three to reveal.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
So they’re like megas and Tag Teams had a love child. Interesting.

But mechanics aside...Can we just take a second to appreciate that the Snorlax and Lapras basic V cards are ACTUALLY 2D ART?! This is huge, the artistic variety is going to be way better this time around compared to the Sun and Moon era.

I’m interested in how the Full Arts are going to turn out. I hope they look nice, either make them akin to the BW/XY ones, or do something similar to the Sun and Moon ones where all the types are uniform, but with a little bit more detail. There’s a lot of potential here, I’m hoping they go for something cool. Just please, PLEASE GOD no more rainbows. If they’re gonna do secret rares, make it like... Six at most. Make them unique, like how the BW or late XY eras did it. Of course, they’re probably going to do like... Hyper Metal Chain-V Cards or something, lol.

Also after seeing these cards, I am absolutely PUMPED for a Hatterene-V (max). It’s going to be so good.

aschefield101

is behind you !
Meh to it all. Basic photoshop errors on stage 1, 2, V's and V-Max. Rebranded EX/GX's, far too much HP and dear god cut the set size already...

ascheCorp is not amused.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
VMAX are a lot more straightforward/boring than I was expecting. The "Gigantamax" label clearly hints that there will VMAX cards based on Dynamax (and Eternatus VMAX will of course say Eternamax and have 350+ HP). Obviously Pokemon like Mewtwo, Lucario, Mimikyu, and the Eeveelutions will probably get them. I'm also willing to bet we'll also see Dynamax cards for Pokemon hit by Dexit that are favored by PCL like Darkrai, Zoroark, Buzzwole, etc.

Neat that Bug is now properly referenced with the new Darkness weakness to Grass.

TheWicky

Random and evil: first one, then the other
Dude if Galar Linoone and Obstagoon have chip damage abilities Just like Zigzagoon it's gonna be XY Crobat shenanigans all over again. I'm absolutely building that deck

7master

Aspiring Trainer
Really beautiful cards, particularly V-MAX cards! The Pokemon-V is similar to Pokemon-EX. Only the Pokemon-VMAX has some differences to Mega-Pokémon-EX (After the evolution the turn isn't end, the opponent takes three price cards instead of two...). Actually, I think that the Pokémon-VMAX is better than the Pokémon-Ex-Mega, because it stands on it with an incomprehensible and disturbing Japanese word for us.

But I think that the Pokémon-GX is more exciting. Pokémon-V does not have it, really a pity.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Great, more turbo 3 prize tanks that will completely ruin the game and deplete all strategy from it