Discussion What mechanics are you hoping for in Gen 8 TCG

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
Most likely v max will kinda be like breaks, but only last while pokemon is active if u retreat or opp switches it it loses the vmax card and it goes to lost zone

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Most likely v max will kinda be like breaks, but only last while pokemon is active if u retreat or opp switches it it loses the vmax card and it goes to lost zone

i highly doubt it. Imagine being a casual player, pulling a huge, rare and shiny V-MAX Pokemon, only for it to go the the Lost Zone the moment you bench it.

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
i highly doubt it. Imagine being a casual player, pulling a huge, rare and shiny V-MAX Pokemon, only for it to go the the Lost Zone the moment you bench it.
Vmax is a evolved pokemon so u cant bench it. V cards will he able too, I'm talking v max, in the game going into vmax u stay that way for 3 turns I believe and if u switch it out u cant g max anymore and it devolves.
So if v max cards prob have similar effect and are cards u put on top of v cards. Assuming like break cards. Odds are you wont be able to vmax a bench pokemon. And if it goes to bench it loses the vmax card. I'm almost certain this is how vmax mechanic would work.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Okay but “the moment you bench it” is kinda an exaggeration. Gust is played in lots of decks, by the time its in play it will go to the lost zone

imashbuttons

Aspiring Trainer
Maybe give more Abilities and decent effects to lower rarity Pokemon? Cause tbh I'm really tired of 80+% of the Pokemon in a set being useless and just taking up room waiting to be sold as bulk.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Maybe give more Abilities and decent effects to lower rarity Pokemon? Cause tbh I'm really tired of 80+% of the Pokemon in a set being useless and just taking up room waiting to be sold as bulk.
You would really hate Magic, then.
Pokemon is different in a sense, that every rare Charizard needs a Charmander to be played, immediately having at least one common card elevated to the "playable" status. Of course, once the format focuses on "big basics" like with EX-es and TT-s, this flies completely out of the window.
No matter how powerful you'd make a common, it would still be bulk, because it is a common. At best you could make one common stand out (like evolution Eevee), but that would promote needless power creep. We should rather cross fingers in hope that V-Pokemon aren't just basics.

Otaku

The wise fool?
You would really hate Magic, then.
Pokemon is different in a sense, that every rare Charizard needs a Charmander to be played, immediately having at least one common card elevated to the "playable" status. Of course, once the format focuses on "big basics" like with EX-es and TT-s, this flies completely out of the window.
No matter how powerful you'd make a common, it would still be bulk, because it is a common. At best you could make one common stand out (like evolution Eevee), but that would promote needless power creep. We should rather cross fingers in hope that V-Pokemon aren't just basics.

You just named one of the many reasons I never got into MtG. Another was the idea that they "needed" to intentionally design and release cards that weren't intended to be useful, for the folks who like to "discover" what is good, or want to come up with creative uses for bad cards. That is literally planning to fail; they'll mess up on cards they intended to be good so it isn't needed. ;) Even if they didn't, I have to wonder if that represents a large enough portion of the customer base to make it a good idea, y'know?

Let's not worry about any of that, though. Rarity schemes are totally artificial but they're an effective sales tool, so they are not going away. So let's justify them. Instead of making higher-rarity cards "good", let us just set aside more complex effects and the like for them. This way, simpler cards are easier to obtain (good for new players), and more complex cards take a bit longer to fully appear in the metagame (good for anyone wanting coherent rulings). Because Evolving Basic Pokémon and Evolutions need to be better.

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
I just hope Vmax are like Lv. X and you can only have 4 in deck for the V + the Vmax, counting them as the same pokemon (rather than as an evolution, just like Lv. X)

bunnybird12

Aspiring Trainer
Bring back the Team Battle format. That would be amazing (but unlikely).

In all seriousness, I wish they would stop the power creep and go back to one-prize Pokemon and some kind of different mechanic like others have mentioned.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Bring back the Team Battle format. That would be amazing (but unlikely).

Yeah, Team Battle would be great to see return. What is really sad is that apparently, it hasn't been gone long. The official rules for Team Battle were present as recently as the November 2017 version of the Play! Pokémon Pokémon Trading Card Tournament Game Rules and Formats document. Which really bums me out because I thought Team Battle died out about 12 years earlier!