Japan Getting a 'BW / XY Expanded Box' in October

Animegamer420

Aspiring Trainer
Awesome, a great way to get those steam seige and evolutions cards that are impossible to find /s

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Honestly, that's really cool, part because of my nostalgia for that time period. I hope they bring a Computer Search reprint to the west, but it's super doubtful. We kinda need some ace spec reprints though...

taveryri

Aspiring Trainer
Does anybody else foresee what I do? They are doing this because after this year they will make a rotation for Expanded and cut most of, if not all B&W out.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Black and White rotation confirmed. This is too easy.
Does anybody else foresee what I do? They are doing this because after this year they will make a rotation for Expanded and cut most of, if not all B&W out.

I’m seeing this more of them trying to better support a format that, despite having more support in the last couple years, is still regarded as a “red-headed stepchild” format.

Reprinting ace specs and some of the more popular Expanded stuff means it’s easier for people to get into Expanded.

Where it stands, unless you get your ace specs in the off season between NAIC and Worlds, you are going to pay through the nose to get them.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I’m seeing this more of them trying to better support a format that, despite having more support in the last couple years, is still regarded as a “red-headed stepchild” format.

Reprinting ace specs and some of the more popular Expanded stuff means it’s easier for people to get into Expanded.

Where it stands, unless you get your ace specs in the off season between NAIC and Worlds, you are going to pay through the nose to get them.
I suppose, but something really needs to change with that format. It's such a smoking crater right now, it might as well be Unlimited.

Winkachu

Aspiring Trainer
Actually I wouldn't mind if we got something similar, only less energy and trainer cards for bulk. I sure would love to get those XY common/uncommon and EX/Full art EX.

For those who really hate that much XY maybe send to someone who would want rofl. I for sure wouldn't mind.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I suppose, but something really needs to change with that format. It's such a smoking crater right now, it might as well be Unlimited.

Expanded is far from a mess. It’s pretty diverse and the meta is super mappable.

The only new factors is that Ray-Gx is virtually dead and Turbo Dark is tier 1, Pikachu & Zekrom-GX has lost a lot of footing, and Mewtwo & Mew-GX has made things slightly weird.

If you know what you’re looking at and what to look for, Expanded isn’t busted and hasn’t changed much

CynderDarkov

Aspiring Trainer
Reprinting Computer Search (and hopefully Dowsing Machine) would be so huge tho. They are must have cards that are expensive and often in poor shape

Nyan

She/They
Praying for no Tropical Beach reprint cuz I still have mine from worlds

Good for you, but not everyone was that fortunate. "Praying" for no reprint is super entitled cause it pretty much says you'd rather have your expensive card even if it means keeping up an extremely tall barrier that's plaguing a format for new players

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Expanded is far from a mess. It’s pretty diverse and the meta is super mappable.

The only new factors is that Ray-Gx is virtually dead and Turbo Dark is tier 1, Pikachu & Zekrom-GX has lost a lot of footing, and Mewtwo & Mew-GX has made things slightly weird.

If you know what you’re looking at and what to look for, Expanded isn’t busted and hasn’t changed much

I feel like its a mess because new standard cards have to walk on egg shells or they'll get banned in expanded basically day 1. Seems kinda silly to have to either kneecap Standard because Expanded is too degenerate (hypothetically, but you have to think expanded has some effect on the design of new Standard cards) or ban cards all the time in a "we give up, we've lost control" kind of move.

I think this quote from Andrew Mahone's Twitter on a recent Expanded game kinda sums it up: "The game lasted 2 turns each and was a 20 minute game." This is hardly unusual. That feels like a smoking crater to me. How fun is that??

Last edited:

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I feel like its a mess because new standard cards have to walk on egg shells or they'll get banned in expanded basically day 1. Seems kinda silly to have to either kneecap Standard because Expanded is too degenerate (hypothetically, but you have to think expanded has some effect on the design of new Standard cards) or ban cards all the time in a "we give up, we've lost control" kind of move.

If you're talking about Jessie & James, anyone who played Expanded had a good feeling it would get banned because hard hand disruption (as opposed to "soft" disruption like Red Card and Let Loose Marshadow) is way too powerful in Expanded.

I think this quote from Andrew Mahone's Twitter on a recent Expanded game kinda sums it up: "The game lasted 2 turns each and was a 20 minute game." This is hardly unusual. That feels like a smoking crater to me. How fun is that??

Play expanded control, you'll definitely get more than a couple turns in.