'Unbroken Bonds' Now Out of Print, Possible New Trend for Future Print Runs

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Really? Unbroken Bonds is one of my favorite sets. Yet they keep printing Evolutions packs because everyone loves that set.

But they're not. They keep putting XY packs into everything because those sets didn't sell as much as they printed of them and now they need to burn off the excess.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
So they are finally catering to collectors instead of players, wow.
Depends on the collector I guess. I collect because I like to, not as any kind of investment, so short term higher prices actually kinda sucks.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Anything competitive will go down after rotation, out of print or not. Sets like these are still printed a LOT, so I don't expect anything too dramatic in terms of changes, in terms of the long-run. Dedenne will probably go up quite a bit for a good while though. Glad I don't bother with 100% collecting Standard sets until they rotate.

iridoo93

Candy girl
Well I guess it’s a good thing they’re doing this, now hopefully we won’t be getting gen 7 packs (at least not ones that will be rotated out) in the upcoming sword and shield sets like how XY packs are still being pushed after a year of rotation

Winkachu

Aspiring Trainer
Unfortunately, Pokemon company haven't really bothered to expand their market to sell these products. Here in Latvia, I would say for years Pokemon TCG was never ever sold and even if it was it was mainly resellers selling for a much higher price, like once I saw a sealed booster box of Fates Collide being sold for 168 Euros. Even now I'm actually looking for the cheapest option and order products from the UK but since don't want to overpay for shipping then I do like 2-3 purchases a year and buy as many products once of each as I can.

Another problem is that pretty much none of the sets that I have tried to finish collecting are done, mainly because collectors are left with 2 options, buy it as single or buy some more boxes and hope you get right card, anyways in the end when it comes to special sets I noticed I have to spend at least 170-200 euros or gamble the money on sealed products. A Pokemon company could solve this a little bit better by pulling out from the set make sure these are included a set related Premium box that has no other random set booster packs included

Alexandraka

Aspiring Trainer
I really like that Pokemon is doing this : ) I can really appreciate that they don't want to have too much surplus and essentially create products to get rid of them. Environmentally speaking, this is awesome!

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
As a business standpoint it totally makes sense to produce enough to not have overstock. And really they probably printed enough to not be short for awhile. As for us consumers, it will probably be fine enough. But I would probably buy any full art/secret rares and Dedennes now rather than later.

Not really, if you can supply your demand and have more for more people than you have a good business. If your worried about inventory... then maybe it's time to look at something else.

Seng vang

Svang20
I like how they are doing this kind of method. That means 3-4 years down the line we won't have to worry about getting crappy packs in our boxes. Such as anicent origins, evolution....

Number51x

i read on fb that apparently this wasnt true and that another batch was scheduled for july, what of it?
Can you name a source? Facebook is hardly a reliable news source in and of itself. I think we're all painfully aware of that at this point.

Pone

Delta Species is best species
So they are finally catering to collectors instead of players, wow.
What part of this is catering to collectors? I collect the cards I can firmly say this is terrible news and makes it unnecessarily difficult and expensive to collect master sets.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Yeah it annoys me when people act like a card being widely unavailable is "good" for collectors. To me that discounts the many collectors who don't really care about the value of their cards in favor of acting like PSA grading and viewing the hobby as an investment to flip for profit. Ex: the people who think it is *bad* for collectors that GX Ultra Shiny is coming to the west is a concept that I don't gel with at all.

Number51x

Yeah it annoys me when people act like a card being widely unavailable is "good" for collectors. To me that discounts the many collectors who don't really care about the value of their cards in favor of acting like PSA grading and viewing the hobby as an investment to flip for profit. Ex: the people who think it is *bad* for collectors that GX Ultra Shiny is coming to the west is a concept that I don't gel with at all.

Only in the sense that a lot is being released in a short amount of time and includes a lot of popular Pokemon. It's going to be pretty expensive to collect is all.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
No the Pokemon TCG collector forum I'm on is genuinely upset it's getting released in English because their Japanese versions will become worth less. I really don't post much there anymore because their collecting philosophy is so very different from my own, which is fine, but doesn't interest me.

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
Not really, if you can supply your demand and have more for more people than you have a good business. If your worried about inventory... then maybe it's time to look at something else.
I'm sorry but I don't think you know much about business... one of the first things you learn is about stocking, and having too much stock is often worse than having too little. Think of it this way; if you have 100 items and all 100 sell, you definitely made a profit. If you have 300 items, but only 100 sell, then you may not have made as much profit (if at all) and you are now stuck with 200 dead stock, meaning you have to either reduce price to get rid of it or hold on to it making a loss every day that it is in the warehouse or on the shelf not selling.

They are making a great business decision by reducing production, even if to us, the consumers it may not appear to be the best, I think in the long run it is a good strategy.

Fafnirchaos

Aspiring Trainer
I'm sorry but I don't think you know much about business... one of the first things you learn is about stocking, and having too much stock is often worse than having too little. Think of it this way; if you have 100 items and all 100 sell, you definitely made a profit. If you have 300 items, but only 100 sell, then you may not have made as much profit (if at all) and you are now stuck with 200 dead stock, meaning you have to either reduce price to get rid of it or hold on to it making a loss every day that it is in the warehouse or on the shelf not selling.

They are making a great business decision by reducing production, even if to us, the consumers it may not appear to be the best, I think in the long run it is a good strategy.

I've worked as an inventory manager for the last 3 years and have 12 years in retail stores.

I may not know a hell of a lot about business managememt, however I do know about inventory, and based upon what they decided, sounds to me that they are having a hard time keeping people interested in their card game, which in turn will see less sales and less stock. Meaning that the value of everything for consumers is going to fluctuate, and how does someone deal with paying higher for a card they cannot get in card packs?

It makes sense now why we have cards like Pikarom, it's to get more consumers into the game who don't understand it and can be competitive right away.

Unless of course they rid themselves of the cardboard based cards and go solely online as a transition to another product then yeah this decision makes even more sense.

I'm guessing they make huge margins on these cards, seeing how cheap cardboard is and they can resell packs and boosters to collectors, however I can't see them losing money to a card game, unless their player base is going.

But whatever works.

Last edited: