Ruling “Cat’s Gathering” Ability + Celebi SLG

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
How does the “Cat’s Gathering” ability from Persian in Unbroken Bonds interact with Celebi from Shining Legends?

Persian’s ability states:
“Each of your Pokemon in play with a Cat Day attack pay no Energy to use their attacks.”

Does this include Pokémon that can use the Cat Day attack from a previous evolution?

My suspicion is no, since I haven’t heard of any Cat Day decks coming out of Japan, but I’d really like clarification on this.

Cheers!

I would say no because the Pokémon themselves do not have the attack printed on them, Celebi's wording says 'attacks of its previous Evolutions' implying it's not the Evolved Pokémon's attack.

No, I don't think you wouldn't be able to count this (or if you used Memory Energy, either). But, this is an unreleased card, so it's possible the wording will be slightly different and/or they will announce a specific ruling regarding this scenario.

See this ruling for a similar scenario from the Compendium:

http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html said:
Q. If my opponent has Celebi-EX with "Time Recall" in play, can I use Golduck's "Amnesia" attack to prevent the Defending Pokemon from using one of its previous evolution's attacks?
A. No, you can only use Amnesia on the attacks that are present on the opponent's card at the time of your attack. (Mar 10, 2005 PUI Rules Team; Boundaries Crossed FAQ; Nov 8, 2012 TPCi Rules Team)

(Time Recall: "Each of your evolved Pokémon can use any attack from its previous Evolutions. (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack.)")

(Amnesia: "Choose 1 of your opponent's Active Pokémon's attacks. That Pokémon can't use that attack during your opponent's next turn.")

No, I don't think you wouldn't be able to count this (or if you used Memory Energy, either). But, this is an unreleased card, so it's possible the wording will be slightly different and/or they will announce a specific ruling regarding this scenario.

See this ruling for a similar scenario from the Compendium:

(Time Recall: "Each of your evolved Pokémon can use any attack from its previous Evolutions. (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack.)")

(Amnesia: "Choose 1 of your opponent's Active Pokémon's attacks. That Pokémon can't use that attack during your opponent's next turn.")
That scenario with the Golduck actually seems really applicable here — thanks!

What Vom said actually applies to a number of situations. No, Icncineroar, Purugly, etc. cannot use their attack’s for free, because they do not have they attack, they may only use it. This is the same situation with night march. If Marshadow-GX would be in the discard pile (since it doesn’t specify if it’s ability isn’t active in the discard pile), it can still use a Night March, and of course only if it is active. But it doesn’t mean it has Night March. Otherwise the damage for that attack would go up by 20 for each Marshadow-GX in the discard pile. Same works with the Round attack. Marshadow GX can use Round, but it doesnt have it. Similar scenario with Dimension Valley. Only Psychic Pokémon get the reduced by [C] Energy cost. So again, if you are Marshadow GX, a [F] type, this doesn’t apply.

Back