PTCGO What's the best way to obtain cards in PTCGO?

UnbanTwin

Aspiring Trainer
Best as in cost efficient.

If I wanted to obtain specific cards for a specific deck, what would be the best way of going about it?

EDIT: Mods if you prefer that I ask this in the stickied thread you can move or delete this or whatever.

Last edited:
Play VS Ladder to earn Event Tickets. Use the Tickets for theme deck events. Play with the best theme deck like Blazing Volcano or Relentless Flame to rise your win chance. In these events you get tradeable packs for the cards you need for your deck.
Costs: 0 $

Lowest cost is as @Loof6 says; grind for Tokens - you can even earn them via the Flash Games on Pokémon.com - and when you've got 500, buy one of the better Theme Decks. I recommend Blazing Volcano, but almost anything from the last year or so should at least be decent. From that you can grind for in-game rewards, the most important of which are the tradeable rewards. Tradeable booster packs = the true currency of the PTCGO. Tournaments have decent payouts in tradeable packs, assuming you can win and yes, there are Theme Deck Tournaments.

If you have the IRL funds, you can also try and find a reputable seller of redemption codes.

Last edited:
For free to play, it's 100% trade grinding: get some tradeable packs (mostly from tournaments) -> trade them for cards -> trade those for more packs. Repeat to infinity. It's tedious, but it's way more time-efficient than playing actual tournaments is (which is sad). This is because tournaments reward random packs (getting a Sun & Moon is not the same as getting a Team Up) and because the rate at which you can gain tournament tickets is pretty slow and gated by the ladder rewards RNG.

When I first started this game, I tracked the value of my collection. Approximately 75% of my wealth was earned from trading and 25% was actually playing tournaments, and this was when I was using tickets until I had 0. Kinda sad if you ask me. Now I won't even bother to play tournaments until they make the rewards 100% the latest expansion pack (which currently is Team Up).

Back