Contest Text-Based Create-a-Card Faking Tournament (Final Results Are Up!)

Group 2 Results

Judge: @Vracken

@FourteenAlmonds
Poliwrath-GX [F] HP240
Stage 2 – Evolves from Poliwhirl

Ability: Swift Swim
If this Pokémon has any [W] Energy attached to it, it may attack twice a turn. (If the first attack Knocks Out your opponent’s Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new active Pokémon.)

[F] Spiral Throw 40
Your opponent switches their Active Pokémon with 1 of their Benched Pokémon.

[F][F] Amphibian-GX 110
Search your deck for up to 3 [W] Energy cards and attach them to your Pokémon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance: N/A
Retreat: [C][C][C]
Last time on Vracken Judging:
Vracken Notes for Next Time August 2018
Unfortunately this card has some issues, and I would most advise that looking into balancing for future CaC’s that I judge would be useful. I am a huge fan of tying an ability to a different card. At the point in which I judged this card, this is my favourite interaction within this months CaC.

Wording:
-0.5 Second Active in Swift Swim should be capitalized
14.5/15

Creativity/Originality:
Extra attacks are something I haven’t seen since Omega Abilities were in the game, and it is cool to see them return. It is strange to put such an attack on a Pokémon with only really one attack, since I like the idea of mixing and matching, but then also tying it to a switching attack is super strange. I am somewhat less enthused with Amphibian-GX, as while I like the flavour, it is a little dull. It is a little bit of a basic card, using all preexisting effects, though in a slightly different way from what has been done in the past. All in all I quite like the card, it is surprisingly elegant.
17/20

Believability/Playability:
Honestly, I don’t see anything that calls the playability or believability into question. The card looks pretty balanced to me, it is almost perfect in wording.
15/15

Vracken Notes for Next Time:
Not much to say, maybe try a brand new effect that hasn’t been done before, but for a first round entry this is excellent. I am super happy to see a nicely balanced card considering my last piece of advice (though that was quite some time ago now).

Final Score: 46.5/50

@Kangaflora
Surskit - 60HP -
latest

Basic
250px-283Surskit.png

NO. 283 Pond Skater Pokémon HT: 1'08" WT: 3.7 lbs.

TCGAbilityIcon.png
Dual Armor
If this Pokémon has any
latest
Energy attached to it, its type
is
latest
latest

latest
Quick Bubble - 10+
You may do 10 more damage. If you do, flip a coin. If tails,
this Pokémon does 10 damage to itself. If heads, your
opponent's Active Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness:
latest
x2
Resistance: ---
Retreat:
latest

PokéDex Info: When this Pokémon senses danger, a sweet
fluid oozes from the top of its head. The taste of it disgusts
bird Pokémon.
Wording:
-1 Incorrect order for heads/tails text. Heads should be first, Tails second.
-1 its type is should be it is [G] and [W] type.
No loss of points PokéDex should be Pokédex
13/15

Creativity/Originality:
There isn’t anything new going on here, all preexisting effects. Dual Armour is a cool ability that doesn’t show up very often, and while I am sure there could be some cool abilities or tools that take the dual typing, or the specific typing of this Pokémon, there is nothing inherently on the card that makes that ability useful. It would probably be better judged in a set as a part of a group, or synergy, with its evolution for example. Unfortunately there isn’t much here on its own.
9/20

I don’t see anything that makes this less believable. Certainly looks weak, but that is fairly standard for small basic Pokémon.
15/15

Vracken Notes for Next Time
Unfortunately designing for small basics like this is hard. They rarely get cool effects, and the time they are cool, they are usually not impactful enough to justify losing a prize card for chip damage. Focus on something a little more unique, and you will significantly bump those points up.

Final Score: 37/50

@Vom (nomnom)
[Stage 2] Samurott-GX [W] HP240
Evolves from Dewott
samurott.gif

[W] Warm-up Dive 30
Attach up to 2 [W] Energy cards from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

[W][W][W] Samurai's Gambit 130
You may discard all [W] Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do, during your next turn, each of your [W] Pokémon's attacks does 130 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W][W][W] Last Breath GX 170
Before doing damage, you may switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon. If you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent, and if your opponent's Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, take 1 more Prize card. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [G] x 2
Resistance: -
Retreat: [C][C][C]
GX Rule: When your Pokémon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Wording:
-1 “Attach up to 2 …” should be “You may attach up to 2 ...”
14/15

Creativity/Originality:
Oh man, another card that kinda self-synergises (requiring two Samurott-GX). I love the Warm-up Dive powering up a second Sammurott-GX on the Bench, just to combo with a Samurai’s Gambit into another Warm-up Dive on the following turn. Samurai’s Gambit also combo’s well with a second Samurotts Last Breath GX which is a really cool catch up and push down attack. Allowing you to trade away some early slowness (early opponent prize) that can happen with stage 2 decks, while also being a powerful finisher for the last prize or three, picking something weak off the bench. While nothing here is brand new, the whole card plays well together, and works with setting up multiple Sammurott-GX or just being a powerful Water Type combo enabler or finisher. Attack names are also pretty decent, matching flavour somewhat, which is nice to see.
18/20

Warm-up Dive is pretty powerful, even on a stage 2 Pokémon. From discard is a powerful area to regain any used cards, though it is balanced by only going to benched mons, and only being water energy. Samurai’s gambit is probably on the weak side, discarding 3 water energy on a high retreat cost Pokémon is nothing to scoff at, though being able to chain that together with another Warm-up Dive turns a strong acceleration attack into a powerful damaging/set up attack as well. Last Breath is a good catch up attack, that both advances your prize game, and weakens an powerful enemy Pokémon that is still powering up. I don’t think the card is overpowered, but it does feel a little on the stronger side to me.
14/15

Pick a cooler Pokémon? There isn’t much to say here that doesn’t come down to “make brand new, never seen before effects” but I think that, and a little bit on the balance, and don’t make mistakes you have to edit :p

Edited: -2 Points

Final Score: 44/50

@FlashRayquaza
Carracosta – Type: Water – KP: 160
Stage 2 – Evolves from Tirtouga

NO. 565 Prototurtle Pokémon HT: 3‘11“ WT: 178,6 lbs.

Ability: Power Food
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard an Omanyte or Omastar from your hand. If you do, this Pokémon does 30 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon and takes 30 less damage from the attacks of your opponent’s Pokémon until the end of your opponent’s next turn (before applying weakness and resistance). You can’t use more than 1 Power Food Ability each turn.

[W][W][C] Heavy Smash 130
Discard 1 Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you discarded [W] Energy, discard a basic Energy attached to your opponent’s Active Pokémon. If you discarded [F] Energy, this attack does 50 more damage (before applying weakness and resistance).

Weakness: [G] x2 Resistance: - Retreat: [C][C][C][C]

Its jaws are terrifyingly powerful. It could eat Omastar and Omanyte whole and not be bothered in the slightest by their shells.
Wording:
-0.5 Kp should be Hp, unless you are trying to call it Killed Points or something.
-0.5 should be “discarded a [W/F] Energy...” x2
14/15

Creativity/Originality:
This card is fairly interesting. Combining old effects with new ones, to create something a little more special than not. Plus, I absolutely love it when people mix flavour and mechanics, so this is a solid inclusion in my opinion. I think it is slightly less elegant than it ought to be, but that is often the nature when flavour comes to the forefront. Nice job.
18/20

I am not a fan of power creep. It is the curse of all games, yet once again it rears its ugly head. The standard amount of hit points for a stage 1 fossil Pokémon is 140. Even from Team Up both Kabutops and Omastar have that many hit points, and both previous version of Carracosta have only 140. Otherwise card is a little complex, but flavourful, and nothing else sticks out to me for either Believability or Playability.
14/15

Did you know there have only been two Carracosta cards? The most recent one is Plasma Blast, which is before some of you have even been alive, probably. Just a shame I felt the need to point out. As I already gushed about in creativity, I love this cards flavour, and the only thing that would have bumped that up would be a completely new effect. As for improvement, shore up the wording, and check cards for balance, and we will have a seriously strong contender on every entry.

Final Score: 46/50

@Blapers
manaphy.gif

Manaphy ◇ – Water– HP120
Basic Pokémon
◇ (Prism Star) Rule: You can’t have more than 1 ◇ card with the same name in your deck. If a ◇ card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

Ability: Marvelous Bond
When this Pokémon becomes your Active Pokémon (before your attack), you may use this Ability. During your opponent’s next turn, this Pokémon can not take damage from attacks.

[W] Tail Glow: During your next turn, this Pokémon’s Deep Sea Pulse attack’s base damage is 140.

[W][C] Deep Sea Pulse: 50 damage. You may return this Pokémon and all cards attached to it to your hand.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1
It is born with a wondrous power that lets it bond with any kind of Pokémon.
Wording:
The only issue I see is your name.
15/15

Creativity/Originality:
Nothing particularly new unfortunately, though some interesting synergies within the card. I like the idea of replaying, spending a turn building up, during which you are invincible, just to let off an attack that would be mediocre were it not the lynch pin of a single card machine. At the same time though, that very machine removes the possibility of using bouncing for the best use, which is removing damage. This would therefore, be super cool in a set that has something which lets you move damage onto your Manaphy as well. So cool design, using preexisting effects in a new way.
17/20

I am concerned about the ability to consistently reuse this Pokémon, potentially putting a lock on the game, but I think that is somewhat countered by you having to last your opponent's turn with your Manaphy in your hand, and that it realistically requires two turns for a moderate amount of damage, and two energy.
15/15

The more I think about the card, the more I wish I could see this in a set that can take advantage of repeated bouncing. There isn’t much to say about what I would like to see other than completely new effects, but that is kinda inspiration based. I think there is some seriously cool design space going on here, that makes be happy enough to call you my Cousin. Nice job!

Final Score: 47/50

Which means that the contestants advancing are:
Blakers, whose Marvelous Manaphy ♢ scored 47/50 points, the top score of the group!
FourteenAlmonds, whose Potent Poliwrath GX scored 46.5/50 points, the second highest score of the group!
FlashRayquaza, whose Courageous Carracosta scored 46/50 points, the third highest score of the group!
And Vom, whose Spirited Samurott GX scored 44/50 points, the fourth highest score of the group!

Sorry, Kangaflora, but that means that you have been eliminated.

Congratulations to those who advanced!

Last edited:
Round 2
The theme for the second round is Alternate Win Conditions! For this round, you need to create cards that play around win conditions other than taking six prize cards. Whether it's your opponent being unable to draw a card at the beginning of their turn, running out of Pokémon in play, or something even crazier like the Lost World stadium or the Unown from Lost Thunder, your card needs to utilize an atypical path to winning. As always, be creative!

For this round, the matchups are:
@Lord Goomy vs @FourteenAlmonds
@Nyora vs @FlashRayquaza
@ShaQuL vs @Vom
@Blakers vs @The Last Shaymin

Here's the link to the updated bracket.

You have just under two weeks, or until Sunday, March 17th, at 12:00 PM EST to submit your cards for this round. Good luck! :D

Last edited:
The third time in a row that I get the 3rd place in a text faking contest... Well, that "KP" was a stupid mistake, but not completely senseless, as it is indeed called KP in German.

Congratulations everyone!

I have a question regarding round 2; is there a minimum or maximum on the amount of cards?

Thanks.

TheLastShaymin's Win Condition - Trainer - Item
You may play as many Item cards during your turn as you like (before your attack).

If your opponent is Blakers, you win this game.

This isnt my CaC lol

Congratulations everyone!

I have a question regarding round 2; is there a minimum or maximum on the amount of cards?

Thanks.
As always, you may only submit one card per round to be judged.
If, for some reason, you feel that the creation of additional cards would help contextualize your one entry, you may also create them, but keep in mind that still only one card will ultimately end up being the one that is judged.

As always, you may only submit one card per round to be judged.
If, for some reason, you feel that the creation of additional cards would help contextualize your one entry, you may also create them, but keep in mind that still only one card will ultimately end up being the one that is judged.
I get you, I misread the round 2 post since it says "you need to create cards" so I understood it as multiple cards each rather than cards as in one card each. That's okay though, I have prepared multiple but there's one main one. Thanks for the clarification!

@Kangaflora
Surskit - 60HP -
latest

Basic
250px-283Surskit.png

NO. 283 Pond Skater Pokémon HT: 1'08" WT: 3.7 lbs.

TCGAbilityIcon.png
Dual Armor
If this Pokémon has any
latest
Energy attached to it, its type
is
latest
latest

latest
Quick Bubble - 10+
You may do 10 more damage. If you do, flip a coin. If tails,
this Pokémon does 10 damage to itself. If heads, your
opponent's Active Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness:
latest
x2
Resistance: ---
Retreat:
latest

PokéDex Info: When this Pokémon senses danger, a sweet
fluid oozes from the top of its head. The taste of it disgusts
bird Pokémon.
Wording:
-0.5 its should be it’s
-1 Incorrect order for heads/tails text. Heads should be first, Tails second.
-1 its type is should be it is [G] and [W] type.
No loss of points PokéDex should be Pokédex
12.5/15

Creativity/Originality:
There isn’t anything new going on here, all preexisting effects. Dual Armour is a cool ability that doesn’t show up very often, and while I am sure there could be some cool abilities or tools that take the dual typing, or the specific typing of this Pokémon, there is nothing inherently on the card that makes that ability useful. It would probably be better judged in a set as a part of a group, or synergy, with its evolution for example. Unfortunately there isn’t much here on its own.
9/20

I don’t see anything that makes this less believable. Certainly looks weak, but that is fairly standard for small basic Pokémon.
15/15

Unfortunately designing for small basics like this is hard. They rarely get cool effects, and the time they are cool, they are usually not impactful enough to justify losing a prize card for chip damage. Focus on something a little more unique, and you will significantly bump those points up.

Final Score: 36.5/50

I have a question regarding judging of @Kangaflora 's card; in the "Wording" section, Kangaflora lost 0.5 points due with the reasoning "its should be it's", is this a Pokemon card wording rule or is it misjudged (I know it wouldn't make much differences in terms of score, but still)? According to grammatical rules of English, "its" is correct in this context as it is possessive, while "it's" with an apostrophe is only supposed to be used if it refers to a contraction such as "it is" or "it has", neither of which work in this card's context. I'm just wondering, since the card I am working on right now includes the word "its" in a similar context, and I want to know the clear ruling regarding "its" and "it's".

Thanks.

I have a question regarding judging of @Kangaflora 's card; in the "Wording" section, Kangaflora lost 0.5 points due with the reasoning "its should be it's", is this a Pokemon card wording rule or is it misjudged (I know it wouldn't make much differences in terms of score, but still)? According to grammatical rules of English, "its" is correct in this context as it is possessive, while "it's" with an apostrophe is only supposed to be used if it refers to a contraction such as "it is" or "it has", neither of which work in this card's context. I'm just wondering, since the card I am working on right now includes the word "its" in a similar context, and I want to know the clear ruling regarding "its" and "it's".

Thanks.
this feels correct and i think it is a judging mistake

Yes ShaQul, you are correct thank you for pointing it out. I will rectify scores when I get home.
Apologies to kangaflora for that error. I am usually pretty careful with these things, but unfortunately errors do happen, if anyone notices them, I do encourage you to point them out.

Good luck, @Lord Goomy

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's submissions!
And you.
Let’s have some fun, shall we?
Reversion Fragment ♢ - Item
Trainer - ♢

♢ (Prism Star) Rule: You may only have 1 ♢ card with the same name in your deck. If a ♢ card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

You may play this card only if you and your opponent have the same number of Prize Cards remaining.

Both players shuffle all of their Prize Cards into their deck. Instead of taking Prize Cards for Knocking Out a Pokémon, put a card from the top of your deck face-down as a Prize card for each Prize card you would’ve taken for Knocking Out that Pokémon. A player wins by having 5 Prize cards.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
You said we need to create cards that center around a Win condition that isn’t taking Prizes. Here, we’re putting Prizes!
And yes, the game ending at 5 Prize cards, rather than 6, is intentional.
Good luck to you all.

And you.
Let’s have some fun, shall we?
Reversion Fragment ♢ - Item
Trainer - ♢

♢ (Prism Star) Rule: You may only have 1 ♢ card with the same name in your deck. If a ♢ card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

You may play this card only if you and your opponent have the same number of Prize Cards remaining.

Both players shuffle all of their Prize Cards into their deck. Instead of taking Prize Cards for Knocking Out a Pokémon, put a card from the top of your deck face-down as a Prize card for each Prize card you would’ve taken for Knocking Out that Pokémon. A player wins by having 5 Prize cards.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
You said we need to create cards that center around a Win condition that isn’t taking Prizes. Here, we’re putting Prizes!
And yes, the game ending at 5 Prize cards, rather than 6, is intentional.
Good luck to you all.
@Lord Goomy Unfortunately, unless the theme specifically asks for Trainers, we cannot accept any cards besides Pokémon. This is because it's close to impossible to judge the two types of cards by similar standards, which will end up making one side highly advantaged in the judging.
Because of this, you'll need to submit a different card for this round in another post. Doing this won't count as an editing penalty.

I actually don't mind about the scoring error. If anything, I wish the eight remaining contestants the very best of luck of making it into the Semi-Finals, and I did have a lot of stiff competition. If anything, this will help me thrive on to become even better, and I can take with me the lesson that in life, your best can NEVER be good enough, and that you have to keep improving your skills. It is just like life, you have to take the bad with the good, and you have to take criticism on board, that in my opinion, makes the individual even better. I'm just happy that I was able to take part this time round.

@Lord Goomy Unfortunately, unless the theme specifically asks for Trainers, we cannot accept any cards besides Pokémon. This is because it's close to impossible to judge the two types of cards by similar standards, which will end up making one side highly advantaged in the judging.
Because of this, you'll need to submit a different card for this round in another post. Doing this won't count as an editing penalty.
Ya know, I was wondering about that, whether you could submit a Trainer. You brought up the Lost World Stadium and I guess I got the impression I could submit a trainer myself. Oh well. Here goes again! :p
Necrozma ♢ - Psychic - HP160
Basic Pokémon - ♢

Ability: Prism Star
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, and you have 6 ♢(Prism Star) Pokémon in play of different types, each player shuffles their Prize cards into their deck. When either player Knocks Out their opponent’s Pokémon, that player puts a card from the top of their deck face-down as a Prize card. Either player wins if they have 6 Prize cards.

[P][C][C] Rainbow Blaster 30x
This attack does 30 damage for each ♢ (Prism Star) Pokémon you have in play.

Light is the source of its energy. If it isn't devouring light, impurities build up in it and on it, and Necrozma darkens and stops moving.
Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]

Just wondering, are pokebeach's translations for Japan's Double Blaze considered accurate for this tournament? Specifically, Cleffa.

The specific text I'm asking about is with the ability:

"Either way, your turn now ends."

Back