SM9 'Tag Volt,' Japan's December Set!

Max Maxwell

Aspiring Trainer
Wow, this Charizard is better than Blacephalon GX with Charmeleon Dragon Majesty it's so cruel :eek: . Blastoise is not bad but it's very expensive.

SamuelOak

Researcher
Inn sorry but how is Charizard mediocre?

For ONE manual attachment it can hit 180, 210 with a choice band. This is turn 2. Plus it’s a single prize attacker. With Alolan Ninetales GX (LOR) setting up stage 2s is easy. This is a brilliant card.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Another Charizard? Again? Does it HAVE to be good? Fine.
Blastoise gets interesting, especially with decks like Palkia GX and Primarina GX around. Enough Magcargo, and you could have a lot of energy in play quite quickly. Is it the most efficient or cost effective card around? No. Does it do its job? Yes.
Erika’s Hospitality is just plain good. You can have 6 cards in your hand, and then draw six more. And it’s not an attack. Okay, there is a chance you won’t be able to play it due to too many cards, but if you play your cards right, it should be pretty reliable. Against a Shrine deck with a lot of Benched Pokémon, you could increase your card size by a lot. Against Zoro/Roc, maybe not. Against Rayquaza? Good. Most power decks play a lot of Benched Pokémon, and you can benefit from them just as well as your opponent does.

Last edited:

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not sure of this.
I think that SM9 theme decks are oriented to other types, like darkness [Zoroark ‘Dark Order’] or (finally) fairy.

Im actually would like a Fairy deck as well cause the last one was Lugia and wasnt Fairy focus just had a few fairys on it, I thought the theme decks of Lost Thunder expansion will include a fairy (Fairy Rise) but well we know how that end, so Im not sure if Dark Order will guarantee a Dark deck and Team Up is about Kanto to promote Lets Go, I can see Starters from first gen being the theme decks, even got 3 decks with Venasaur being the last one

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Too bad these are stage 2, but Rare Candy is a thing. Erika is gonna be handy and I think it'll be 2-3 of in decks. Great draw support.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Too bad these are stage 2, but Rare Candy is a thing. Erika is gonna be handy and I think it'll be 2-3 of in decks. Great draw support.
That's the problem of some stage 2s. You forced to run 4 RC just to evolve them as quick as possible, rather than reserving some space for some good trainers.
  • Charizard - The ability is basically Incineroar-GX Dark-type. As an attacker, ehh. Its alright! You need 3 R and shrine to KO relevant basics. 3 Geodudes. Being played for ability is what I disagree of.
  • Blastoise - you need to run multiple W energy just to hit it every turn. Use it on Palkia or some stuff that do damage depends on the energy on the field. Other option than Aqua Patch. And you notice that its been 5 years that we've finally get a new Squirtle card. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Erika's Hospitality - Its a pseudo-Colress. 3-4 Geodudes

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Inn sorry but how is Charizard mediocre?

For ONE manual attachment it can hit 180, 210 with a choice band. This is turn 2. Plus it’s a single prize attacker. With Alolan Ninetales GX (LOR) setting up stage 2s is easy. This is a brilliant card.
Nah. Not a good idea. The opponent might target the GX for an easy win

Ashblaze

Full Art Supporter Hunter
I like all the cards they’re really neat and I do belive erika will have a full art especially since it’s a good supporter. Question, can I only play her if I have five card or less in my hand including her? Cause I’m my head I was thinking if my hand was six but I play her then my hand would be 5 but I can’t play it if my hand is six including her. Hopefully someone can answer to help. I can’t wait to see this card’s full art version and what other supporters will also be in this set

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Whoa, Steven's Advice is back! All be it named differently, but still awesome! This is much better draw to me than cards like Hau and TV Reporter, the difference between 6 cards (most of the time at least) and 3 cards is a lot in my eyes, so I'm glad this card is gonna exist now.

This new Charizard looks better than the one from Dragon Majesty. Sure, essentially less damage than the previous one, but waaay more streamable than that one for the Incineroar-GX-like ability. Charizard can hit 180 with the ability and a manual attachment with Choice Band, so find an efficient way to get more energies on it and this thing is smacking some Pokemon and, to me, actually seems viable for competitive play. Streamability is everything esspecially when it's a Stage 2 non-GX Pokemon.

Blastoise is cool, I'm just not sure how consistent the ability will be. What I mean by that is how often you'll get your energy acceleration whenever you use the ability as it relies on the top of your deck, and only the top 6 of your deck unlike cards like ROS Togekiss which looked at the top 8 cards and found basic energies. I should probably praise this thing more for A. being once per turn instead of a one-time use, and B. being stackable if you have other Blastoise of this same ability out, but that's still a little much to ask for. If this Blastoise sees play that'd be cool, I'm just not too sure how good it is.

Trent Piland

Aspiring Trainer
I think that Erika's Hospitality is going to be great. We already play our hand down under 3 cards to use Oranguru. This card only requires you to get to 5 cards + Erika (6 total) and will essentially allow you to draw up to 6 cards. While sometimes this could be as one put "situational", I believe it there will be at least 2 in most lists. The possibility of drawing 6 cards is great. With 5 in hand after playing Erika drawing 6 cards puts your hand at 11.. and thats before Zoroark-GX or any other draw abilities. I'd say its a 4-5 point card.. with the potential to be a solid 5.

arulz

THE SEEKER
Actually it hits 180 for manual+ ability, it hits 210 with choice band or 190 with shrine

I actually think ninetales + charizard could be OK. Not too tier but maybe squeak in to tier 2

PwnzorProd

Aspiring Trainer
I am really happy that we are getting some more good draw into the standard format, and that it is different than the old draw of sycamore/juniper. I feel like standard is lacking in good supporters, but this is a nice addition.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
charizard is pretty mediocre. pretty good ability, but terrible attack. it could have some synergy with blacephalon gx, but it's a stage 2

blastoise is just a nerfed deluge that doesn't really seem that good, also stage 2

erika's is interesting?? because steven's advice was decent if not good (iirc, i don't really play old format) in its respective format, i think we can expect it to maybe be a 1 or 2-of in certain decks.
Erika is a nerfed Lillie, there is literally no reason to play it.

EDIT: The wording is weird. It looks like it could be draw up to the number, meaning you can have 5 in hand and opponent has six pokemon play Erika, draw two so you have six in hand
OR
Opponent has six pokemon, you have a five card hand, play Erika, draw six cards but you have the option to draw less than six if you want.

Last edited: