Discussion What Deck would you say is the best?

There is no best deck and thats a good thing. Non gxs have to play shrine and multiple types of attackers
Gx decks are all checked in different ways either by being inherently inconsistent like metagross or they can be one be one shotted by non gx tech cards like dedenne vs rayquazza.
So long as such counters exist no deck will be able to 100 percent of the time overcome other decks.
My preference is malamar/single prizers as it's got mostly good matchups. But I would say it's the best.

Whatever deck I'm playing :)

And I've seriously had so much success with Articuno/Hoopa that I'm starting to think it might be the best, if far from the most popular. (Then again there's a fairly easy counter card no one plays, but people might if it picked up in popularity...)

For meta decks, Vikaray seems to give me trouble whatever I bring, although my preference for defensively focused decks might hurt me there. If I had to pick one it has my vote.

Having just went to a league cup, and playing a MalamarBox deck, I can say it has great matchups, and can adapt to any circumstance

Mine is, because I just throw all my opponent's good cards over the side of the cruise ship.

There is no best deck and thats a good thing. Non gxs have to play shrine and multiple types of attackers
Gx decks are all checked in different ways either by being inherently inconsistent like metagross or they can be one be one shotted by non gx tech cards like dedenne vs rayquazza.
So long as such counters exist no deck will be able to 100 percent of the time overcome other decks.
My preference is malamar/single prizers as it's got mostly good matchups. But I would say it's the best.
Defending one of my secret-favourite decks here, I think it all depends on the build for Metagross decks. People always like to say stage-2 decks suck but I think it's all in how you get them out quick. If I can get out Solgaelo-GX and multiple Metagross, it's game unless you can hit me with 250 without using weakness (Frying pan bby). Meanwhile I can stream 230-250/60 every turn until I win. Granted it takes a lot longer against non-GX decks, but Ultra Road can even get you out of paralysis locks. Steven's Resolve is great with baby Metagross (who also serves as a means of hitting Hoopa) and the new Alolan Ninetails lets you Beacon for it and your stage 1 or 2, then Ninetails searches for Rare Candy and Ultra Ball, Timer Ball, or whatever else you might need. I like it. But I'm super biased...hah.

GasKan is BDIF. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is. I was confident in that statement before Philly, when he first published the article here. Even more so after Philly. And now, after Memphis? You're kidding yourself if you think it's not BDIF.

You have to know how to play it. It's complicated to make the right decisions to adjust to all the different matchups, and if you don't know it well enough, you will not be able to do those adjustments. But if you do know it well enough, there are no matchups that are worse than 50/50, and few that are even that bad. The worst matchup (which is in my experience the 50/50) is against Malamar / Shining Arceus Spread with a Necrozma tech. Even that feels like it's just an issue of me not knowing the matchup well enough.

Lost Thunder is bound to shake things up, but I wouldn't be surprised if a revised version of GasKan rises to the top again. Giratina should be enough to keep lost march in check if it ever does well enough to matter.

Actually, I'm not. I've saturated myself with it, training for IRL tournaments. I played it at the Cup I won yesterday and didn't lose a single game all day. I'm using this month's Pokebeach to work on some skills stuff instead.

What is Gaskan?

And do you guys think with the new set coming out, BuzzShrine will still be relevant?

GasKan is the deck that got first and second at Memphis and second at Philly.

If people jump on the lightning train, Buzz Shrine could become more relevant. Seems like it probably does ok against Lost March too. But the matchups against other decks are harder to predict (and I haven't shifted toward actually testing the new stuff yet).

GasKan is the deck that got first and second at Memphis and second at Philly.

If people jump on the lightning train, Buzz Shrine could become more relevant. Seems like it probably does ok against Lost March too. But the matchups against other decks are harder to predict (and I haven't shifted toward actually testing the new stuff yet).
I'm fairly certain he was asking what the heck constitutes a GasKan deck, not what tournaments were won with it. I tried googling it but it insisted I was trying to search for Kanghaskan.

My bad. It's a newer take on Psychic Malamar that can shift to use one prize psychic attackers or go down the more standard path for the deck. However even going down the standard path, it typically employs Marshadow GX as the primary attacker, because of the flexibility this provides. It uses 10 ball search cards, including 4 ultra, 4 treasure, up to 2 friend ball, and up to 2 not ball. It plays a four count of escape board to capitalize on the fact that most of your attackers have a one energy retreat cost.

Rukan Shao wrote two articles about it in our premium articles section when he came up with the deck.

I think Malamar (or GasKan or Psychic Box or however you call it) is a really good deck and a reliable choice for tournaments but I don't like it's Zororoc matchup when they play Sudowoodo.

There is also another strong card named Solgaleo GX. I just don't figure out what to pair it with but it is a very strong card: No weakness, attacks for a DCE, charges up potential OHKO attackers, high HP, 2HKOs anything, hits the magic 130 with Dhelmise.

The problem with Zororoc is that it's limited by BuzzGarbShrine, no? Even with Weakness Policy I have very little trouble taking those decks down. If that reduces the number of those decks around, then it won't matter much.

Solgaleo GX, the new one not the old one I assume? Probably not as good a pairing with Metagross as the old one (which hits for way more damage). Maybe it can play tank for something like Rayquaza or similar?

Back