• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Suicune-GX/Quagsire Deck

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Suicune-GX/Quagsire

Current List:
-Pokémon (16)-

3x Wooper DGM
2x Quagsire DGM
3x Suicune-GX ---
2x Articuno-GX CES
2x Tapu Lele-GX GRI
1x Volcanion <> FLI
1x Necrozma-GX BUS
1x Lapras-GX SUM
1x Palkia-GX ULP/FLI

-Trainers (34)-
-Supporters (16)-
4x Guzma
4x Cynthia
3x Copycat
2x Tate & Liza
2x Lillie
1x Acerola

-Stadiums (4)-

4x Brooklet Hill

-Items (14)-

4x Ultra Ball
4x Aqua Patch
3x Choice Band
1x Rescue Stretcher
1x Field Blower
1x Energy Recycle System

-Energies (10)-
10x Water Energy

Pokémon (13):
3 Wooper
2 Quagsire
4 Suicune-GX
3 Tapu Lele-GX
1 Volcanion <>

Trainers (38):
4 Cynthia
2 Tate & Liza
1 Copycat
1 Lillie

2 Apricorn Maker
3 Nest Ball
4 Ultra Ball
3 Brooklet Hill

1 Rescue Stretcher
4 Aqua Patch
1 Energy Recycle System

1 Field Blower
4 Max Potion
1 Acerola
2 Guzma

3 Choice Band

Energy (9):
9 Water Energy
-Pokemon (17)-
3x Wooper DGM
2x Quagsire DGM
3x Suicune-GX ---
3x Articuno-GX CES
2x Tapu Lele-GX GRI
1x Volcanion <> FLI
1x Palkia-GX ULP / FLI
1x Lapras-GX SUM
1x Necrozma-GX BUS

-Trainers (33)-
-Supporters (16)-
4x Guzma
4x Cynthia
3x Copycat
2x Tate and Liza
2x Lillie
1x Acerola

-Stadiums (4)-
4x Brooklet Hill

-Items (13)-
4x Aqua Patch
4x Ultra Ball
3x Choice Band
1x Rescue Stretcher
1x Field Blower

-Energies (10)-
10x Water Energy
Strategy:
This is mainly a prize denial and 2hko deck. As soon as you can get 3 energy on the field, you can start swinging with Suicune-GX and healing up with Suicune's ability + Brooklet Hill. I think it's definitely worth trying out when Lost Thunder comes out and should it become viable I'd be pretty happy about that.

Notes:
To me, it feels like this deck might lack speed or the ability to get a turn 2 attack going. I'm not sure if Nest Balls would help in the beginning, or if they'd be unnecessary. Lusamine is also a possibility here, as a way to get your Brooklet Hills back into play, but I don't know what to get rid of without sacrificing consistency.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed! Feel free to post your opinions on the list at present, and any other ideas you have.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
It's gonna take a long while for Suicune to be released buuuuuuuut I'm hyped for this synergy of Suicune and Quagsire so here are some of my thoughts:

First thing I'm going to say is run a single copy of Palkia-GX (water-type, dragon-type, both have their uses and either one will work). With Quagsire released this just simply becomes a much better card now that you can use him for this other attacks, esspecially if you play Wishful Baton to have your water energies stay on your Pokemon. Getting 5 energies does sound pretty difficult but I think the benefits are worth it and with Quagsire and Aqua Patch it looks very doable. Wanna do something cheeky against Vikavolt / Rayquaza players? Guzma up a Vikavolt, use Zero Vanish GX to get a KO on Vikavolt, and shuffle back all the energies on all of thier Rayquazas with no easy out to get them back. I would love to do that to a Rayquaza player.

There are some other Pokemon I think could try out and effectively turn this into some form of water box involving Quagsire. Articuno-GX moves the energies away from Suicune Tapu Koko-style and gives your Suicune the opportunity to retreat with the ability. This may seem redundant with Quagsire already having the ability to move energies, I mention this if your Quagsire is not on board to do the work for you. Slight other benefits include doing 130 damage instead of 120 to get key KOs on stuff like FLI Buzzwoles and Shining Lugias, and not being weak to grass but metal instead which will be better against decks like ZoroPod. Maybe you'll want to have an OHKO option and have Lapras-GX to deal clean OHKOs notably to basic GX pokemon with a Choice Band. And you want to know the fun part about Quagsire? You're not limited to moving the enegies to water pokemon! You could move the energies onto a Necrozma-GX for Black Ray GX so that all your Suicunes now deal potential OHKO damage to all GXs. I will say Volcanion Prism Star is a good addition and one I'm surprised I never thought of. Gets through SLG Hoopa, I always like to be prepared for that card, even though Quagsire can also OHKO it if fully charged.

As for other things to mention, I honestly think you could increase your Brooklet Hill count from 3 to 4. Not only does this set up your bench for things like Wooper and Suicune-GX, but it's basically a permanent Max Potion for Suicune just by using the ability and bringing it back out and It gets rid of nasty Shrines of Punishments that would otherwise chip away at all of your GXs. Also gonna throw out there that this card has already seen a major amount of play from last weekend's tournament in Santa Catarina so it's bound to be a huge game-changer for this format. I'm gonna say the same thing for Guzma as that card is just plain broken and works well even with Pokemon dealing 2HKO damage to get rid of baby pokemon or just doing aggressive damage. I don't know how I'd feel about this next card, but you could experiment with Crasher Wake to discard water energies for Aqua Patches and search for whatever you need given the specific scenario, such as searching for 2.....well.....Aqua Patches!

Here's what I'm seeing after basing it off your list:

-Pokemon (17)-
3x Wooper DGM
2x Quagsire DGM
3x Suicune-GX ---
3x Articuno-GX CES
2x Tapu Lele-GX GRI
1x Volcanion <> FLI
1x Palkia-GX ULP / FLI
1x Lapras-GX SUM
1x Necrozma-GX BUS

-Trainers (33)-
-Supporters (16)-
4x Guzma
4x Cynthia
3x Copycat
2x Tate and Liza
2x Lillie
1x Acerola

-Stadiums (4)-
4x Brooklet Hill

-Items (13)-
4x Aqua Patch
4x Ultra Ball
3x Choice Band
1x Rescue Stretcher
1x Field Blower

-Energies (10)-
10x Water Energy

So in comparison to your list:

-1 Suicune-GX
-1 Tapu Lele-GX
-2 Apricorn Maker
-3 Nest Ball
-1 Energy Recycle System (although that could be a mistake)
-4 Max Potion (that could also be a mistake)
+3 Articuno-GX
+1 Palkia-GX
+1 Lapras-GX
+1 Necrozma-GX
+2 Guzma
+2 Copycat
+1 Lillie
+1 Brooklet Hill
+1 Water Energy

*Incase your confused about the counts, your deck had 59 cards total. There were 37 trainers in there, not 38 so I just added the extra space.

Maybe not exactly like this list, but some type of an Aqua Box that either OHKOS or 2HKOs while denying prizes and keeping momentum.

I hope this all helped with trying to make Suicune-GX work. I also want him to function as a deck given all the potential synergy with a lot of Pokemon in the current format. Infact, if I were to build or proxy only 1 deck for when Lost Thunder comes out to contain my usual hype for the set, this would be the one.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
It's gonna take a long while for Suicune to be released buuuuuuuut I'm hyped for this synergy of Suicune and Quagsire so here are some of my thoughts:

First thing I'm going to say is run a single copy of Palkia-GX (water-type, dragon-type, both have their uses and either one will work). With Quagsire released this just simply becomes a much better card now that you can use him for this other attacks, esspecially if you play Wishful Baton to have your water energies stay on your Pokemon. Getting 5 energies does sound pretty difficult but I think the benefits are worth it and with Quagsire and Aqua Patch it looks very doable. Wanna do something cheeky against Vikavolt / Rayquaza players? Guzma up a Vikavolt, use Zero Vanish GX to get a KO on Vikavolt, and shuffle back all the energies on all of thier Rayquazas with no easy out to get them back. I would love to do that to a Rayquaza player.

There are some other Pokemon I think could try out and effectively turn this into some form of water box involving Quagsire. Articuno-GX moves the energies away from Suicune Tapu Koko-style and gives your Suicune the opportunity to retreat with the ability. This may seem redundant with Quagsire already having the ability to move energies, I mention this if your Quagsire is not on board to do the work for you. Slight other benefits include doing 130 damage instead of 120 to get key KOs on stuff like FLI Buzzwoles and Shining Lugias, and not being weak to grass but metal instead which will be better against decks like ZoroPod. Maybe you'll want to have an OHKO option and have Lapras-GX to deal clean OHKOs notably to basic GX pokemon with a Choice Band. And you want to know the fun part about Quagsire? You're not limited to moving the enegies to water pokemon! You could move the energies onto a Necrozma-GX for Black Ray GX so that all your Suicunes now deal potential OHKO damage to all GXs. I will say Volcanion Prism Star is a good addition and one I'm surprised I never thought of. Gets through SLG Hoopa, I always like to be prepared for that card, even though Quagsire can also OHKO it if fully charged.

As for other things to mention, I honestly think you could increase your Brooklet Hill count from 3 to 4. Not only does this set up your bench for things like Wooper and Suicune-GX, but it's basically a permanent Max Potion for Suicune just by using the ability and bringing it back out and It gets rid of nasty Shrines of Punishments that would otherwise chip away at all of your GXs. Also gonna throw out there that this card has already seen a major amount of play from last weekend's tournament in Santa Catarina so it's bound to be a huge game-changer for this format. I'm gonna say the same thing for Guzma as that card is just plain broken and works well even with Pokemon dealing 2HKO damage to get rid of baby pokemon or just doing aggressive damage. I don't know how I'd feel about this next card, but you could experiment with Crasher Wake to discard water energies for Aqua Patches and search for whatever you need given the specific scenario, such as searching for 2.....well.....Aqua Patches!

Here's what I'm seeing after basing it off your list:

-Pokemon (17)-
3x Wooper DGM
2x Quagsire DGM
3x Suicune-GX ---
3x Articuno-GX CES
2x Tapu Lele-GX GRI
1x Volcanion <> FLI
1x Palkia-GX ULP / FLI
1x Lapras-GX SUM
1x Necrozma-GX BUS

-Trainers (33)-
-Supporters (16)-
4x Guzma
4x Cynthia
3x Copycat
2x Tate and Liza
2x Lillie
1x Acerola

-Stadiums (4)-
4x Brooklet Hill

-Items (13)-
4x Aqua Patch
4x Ultra Ball
3x Choice Band
1x Rescue Stretcher
1x Field Blower

-Energies (10)-
10x Water Energy

So in comparison to your list:

-1 Suicune-GX
-1 Tapu Lele-GX
-2 Apricorn Maker
-3 Nest Ball
-1 Energy Recycle System (although that could be a mistake)
-4 Max Potion (that could also be a mistake)
+3 Articuno-GX
+1 Palkia-GX
+1 Lapras-GX
+1 Necrozma-GX
+2 Guzma
+2 Copycat
+1 Lillie
+1 Brooklet Hill
+1 Water Energy

*Incase your confused about the counts, your deck had 59 cards total. There were 37 trainers in there, not 38 so I just added the extra space.

Maybe not exactly like this list, but some type of an Aqua Box that either OHKOS or 2HKOs while denying prizes and keeping momentum.

I hope this all helped with trying to make Suicune-GX work. I also want him to function as a deck given all the potential synergy with a lot of Pokemon in the current format. Infact, if I were to build or proxy only 1 deck for when Lost Thunder comes out to contain my usual hype for the set, this would be the one.

Hey, thanks so much for your input!

I definitely get what your saying with Palkia-GX. It's always been so unused that it slipped off my radar a bit! Also, Necrozma-GX is absolutely a valid choice — I'm going to throw at least one in for sure.

I'm still not 100% sure about the Articuno-GX, though. Sure, it's ability is nice, but without Max Potions or Suicune-GX's ability, it seems underwhelming and just a little bit too big of a target for Guzma. Getting OHKOs on non-GXs is huge, so it's certainly a one- or two-of in the deck, but three is excessive imho.

Looking back, Lapras-GX seems like a must-have for the deck too, and I'm not entirely sure why I didn't put it in in the first place.

As well as this, I like the thought of increasing Guzma and Brooklet Hill counts while decreasing Max Potions, although I do want to keep two or more Max Potions in the deck. But, the deck might not actually need any Max Potions, so it'd be good to test it without them in first.

Finally, Crasher Wake looks like a bit of a dubious choice — it seems a tad unlikely to me, at least, that you would get three energy in hand (energy for turn + two for discard) as well as a Crasher Wake without using a supporter first. On top of that, you'd ideally be taking two Aqua Patches out of the deck, or an Aqua Patch and a Choice Band. Presumably, by the time you actually get to use Crasher Wake, you have already used an Aqua Patch during the game and you have enough energy on the field, so it's not really needed and is inconsistent overall. Speaking of Energy, I personally like one Energy Recycle System just to keep energy in play — Aqua Patches are our only ways to retrieve Energy from the discard pile, and they get used up pretty quick. The choice between recovering 3 Energy after a potential ko and putting them back into the deck, or putting one straight into the hand, just looks nice to me as a player.

Your list is far and away an improvement on mine, so thanks heaps for going in depth over all the changes you made.

This is an updated list based on your suggestions (actually identical bar 1 card):
-Pokémon (16)-
3x Wooper DGM
2x Quagsire DGM
3x Suicune-GX ---
2x Articuno-GX CES
2x Tapu Lele-GX GRI
1x Volcanion <> FLI
1x Necrozma-GX BUS
1x Lapras-GX SUM
1x Palkia-GX ULP/FLI

-Trainers (34)-

-Supporters (16)-
4x Guzma
4x Cynthia
3x Copycat
2x Tate & Liza
2x Lillie
1x Acerola

-Stadiums (4)-

4x Brooklet Hill

-Items (14)-
4x Ultra Ball
4x Aqua Patch
3x Choice Band
1x Rescue Stretcher
1x Field Blower
1x Energy Recycle System

-Energies (10)-
10x Water Energy

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
OK so I quoted your post and wrote individual responses for each paragraph written in bold and italic to try and organize my thoughts within your post. Man, I'm getting cheeky and experimental with my fonts :p

Hey, thanks so much for your input!

No Problem! Deck looks super fun to play with when the next set comes out so I thought about it for a little bit.

I definitely get what your saying with Palkia-GX. It's always been so unused that it slipped off my radar a bit! Also, Necrozma-GX is absolutely a valid choice — I'm going to throw at least one in for sure.

I'm still not 100% sure about the Articuno-GX, though. Sure, it's ability is nice, but without Max Potions or Suicune-GX's ability, it seems underwhelming and just a little bit too big of a target for Guzma. Getting OHKOs on non-GXs is huge, so it's certainly a one- or two-of in the deck, but three is excessive imo.

Probably not a mandatory put in. I just have higher numbers in the list I provided to give more chances of playing him from the hand to try and get the best use out of this card. He may not be necessary but the mobility is nice when you need it for cards like Quagsire. It'll depend on what ends up happening in 2 months so Articuno-GX seems to be by player preference so far.

Looking back, Lapras-GX seems like a must-have for the deck too, and I'm not entirely sure why I didn't put it in in the first place.

As well as this, I like the thought of increasing Guzma and Brooklet Hill counts while decreasing Max Potions, although I do want to keep two or more Max Potions in the deck. But, the deck might not actually need any Max Potions, so it'd be good to test it without them in first.

I did kind of write my post as if I thought Max Potion was an unnecessary card or is strictly worse than Brooklet Hill. I mean for Suicune-GX it is but for other attackers they could sure use it. Probably should've made that part less confusing. The more healing, the better.

Finally, Crasher Wake looks like a bit of a dubious choice — it seems a tad unlikely to me, at least, that you would get three energy in hand (energy for turn + two for discard) as well as a Crasher Wake without using a supporter first. On top of that, you'd ideally be taking two Aqua Patches out of the deck, or an Aqua Patch and a Choice Band. Presumably, by the time you actually get to use Crasher Wake, you have already used an Aqua Patch during the game and you have enough energy on the field, so it's not really needed and is inconsistent overall. Speaking of Energy, I personally like one Energy Recycle System just to keep energy in play — Aqua Patches are our only ways to retrieve Energy from the discard pile, and they get used up pretty quick. The choice between recovering 3 Energy after a potential ko and putting them back into the deck, or putting one straight into the hand, just looks nice to me as a player.

I'd probably play Crasher Wake if we had a more consistent way of getting at least 2 water energies in our hand, like if we played BUS Ribombee or GRI55 Oricorio to get them into hand and then use Crasher Wake, but that would probably end up using up a good chunk of deck space for that to work. I just mentioned it as an option since we were using water energies anyway.

Energy Recycle System is another way to get energies when we need it but I don't know to be honest. You usually don't want to shuffle back the energies from your discard pile for your Aqua Patches to work, and if we used the other effect to get back 1 water energy back into the hand, wouldn't we just play more water energy? As it would increase the chances of having more in hand and it'd be more energies for Aqua Patch? Another player preference card I guess.

Your list is far and away an improvement on mine, so thanks heaps for going in depth over all the changes you made.

:D

This is an updated list based on your suggestions (actually identical bar 1 card):
-Pokémon (16)-
3x Wooper DGM
2x Quagsire DGM
3x Suicune-GX ---
2x Articuno-GX CES
2x Tapu Lele-GX GRI
1x Volcanion <> FLI
1x Necrozma-GX BUS
1x Lapras-GX SUM
1x Palkia-GX ULP/FLI

-Trainers (34)-

-Supporters (16)-