Discussion Tag Team GX

jinjitsu

Aspiring Trainer
Well with only one revealed card our sample size is pretty small to tell if this is meta changing. I think it could be pretty strong but also a huge risk because of the 3 prize card rule. Stuff like rayquaza with good onehit or 2 hit one prize attacker could be a big problem for these cards.

j2y8n2x

Aspiring Trainer
Maybe they'll just destroy the meta like how Megas destroyed VGC meta.
But of course, some people will like it and continue to play.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
It's not that good. The only thing going for it is its GX attack potentially taking 4+ prizes but needs 6 lightning to do that. Sure it's main attack adds 3 energy to it but at only 150 base damage it's struggling to OHKO most meta GXs with it's main attack and you still need to set it up. 240 HP is nice on a basic but it's still in 2HKO range of all the mid-range decks that 2HKO GXs already so it is just giving up a free prize in that case anways. And it will struggle to keep up the prize trade against 1-prize decks since it has to KO three of them to break even when it will only needs to take 2 hits to give up its 3 prizers (assuming it's not getting OHKO'ed)

It will probably be good enough to be a tech card in lightning decks that can steal the game if you manage to set it up but it's not going to destroy the meta

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
It isn't the best card by any means, but with all this lightning support Volkner just keeps looking better and better post rotation.

Rooie

Aspiring Trainer
That's a part of the struggle to get it set up. On top of needing 3 energy, also needing to find item cards to boost your damage to take the KO doesn't make the card good.
You only need a Choice Band and one Electripower to KO basically everything relevant. I really don't see how that's too much to ask if you're playing a playset of both.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
You only need a Choice Band and one Electripower to KO basically everything relevant. I really don't see how that's too much to ask if you're playing a playset of both.
It’s the needing two items AND needing 3 Lightning energy before it is relevant that’s the problem. It’s more work (and thus less consistency) for a card that needs to take 3+ prizes to break even

paintbrushpanda

Delibird Enthusiast
I believe the only currently revealed Tag Team GX (Pikachu+Zekrom) will not be that amazing in Standard. With a lack of good acceleration for it outside of maybe Magnezone FLI, it'll be hard to get out in time before your opponent has the opportunity to KO it, and also get ruined by Buzzwole-GX if it has any actual potential. However, in Expanded, Pikachu+Zekrom looks very promising in combination with Eelektrik NVI. It makes it possible to easily get a T2 Pikachu+Zekrom setup and start taking prizes on the same turn, and a potential T3 win (assuming you got 2 prizes T2 and are able to get 6 energies on a different Pikachu+Zekrom, which isn't hard with the effect of the main attack as well as Eelektrik). Buzzwole also can't easily get a prize advantage in expanded, since by the time they can take 3 prizes, you can already win the game. I can guess that we will also get some sort of Reshiram+xxx (my bets are on Tepig) Tag Team GX since it looks to be that SM9 is Unova-themed.

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
Notice the wording in the bottom right: "When your TAG TEAM is knocked out your opponent takes three prizes." That kind of makes me think that you will only be able to play one tag team per deck.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Notice the wording in the bottom right: "When your TAG TEAM is knocked out your opponent takes three prizes." That kind of makes me think that you will only be able to play one tag team per deck.
Dude it says the same thing on a gx card except gx. It would say on the card you can have only one per deck like it does with prism

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Hey guys, it seems TAG TEAM Pokemon won't just be GX. If you look at the rule on the bottom it only mentions the TAG TEAM attribute, not the GX. So... maybe Legend cards will be back?

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Would be cool to see some non GX tag teams!
Oh, it would be even better if they were dual types! That would be nostalgia for those who started Pokemon around the time of Steam Siege and even more for people who started Pokemon around the time of Heart Gold & Soul Silver!!!

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
Oh, it would be even better if they were dual types! That would be nostalgia for those who started Pokemon around the time of Steam Siege and even more for people who started Pokemon around the time of Heart Gold & Soul Silver!!!
O0000 yeah that would be great! I personally started the TCG when FAC was new, so that would be great!