'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release

iridoo93

Candy girl
So it’s ability works against Zoroark, baby buzz, sometimes buzzwhole GX, garbador, I guess it’s not too bad but will be easy to get around for opponents that use a lot energy to do massive damage like gardevoir. It’s eh and it’s GX attack is trash but I can’t help but laugh that shuckle got a GX :p:D

Luplayz

The Master of bad Pokemon
im scared., but that also means dunsparce could get a GX too. so i guess its good

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
The silliest GX card I've ever seen, that's for sure. Was not expecting this at all, so waking up to the news over here certainly made my morning.

Thinking about the ability, it's nice against energy efficient attackers, like Golisopod / Zoroark / Buzzwole specifically using Jet Punch / Sledgehammer, which I like. Granted, they can put more energy on the card which would nullify the ability, and I used to think that made the card bad to me, but think about it; they're putting more energy on the card, therefore wasting resources just to get past Shuckle's ability. So what if you ran this with energy disruption? Keep it afloat while your opponent attempts to take it down. And as a bonus, it's energy efficient itself so Max Potion and Acerola gotta be viable with this.

Triple poison is fine but it's like Noivern-GX in the case of if only you could do a little bit more damage and this card would be attacking potential. CRI Seviper sounds pretty good to add up the damage but that's a good chunk of my bench space used for this card. I would have higher praise for Wrap GX but theres so much switching cards in this game you gotta use this at exactly the right time.

Incase you couldn't tell, I don't think that this card is too bad. Obviously not at all meta-definining but I could see someone using this card to screw with your opponent hard. It's no Zoroark-GX, but it's no Machamp-GX.

Duke Erebus

Aspiring Trainer
I like cards like this. It's good, but not game-changing, so it feels balanced. It's the kind of card that I want to build a deck around... though I realize there's certainly better options out there.

Most of the specifics I'd say have already been said -- Seviper CRI, energy denial, etc. But I don't know if anyone's pointed out that both attacks only require a Colorless energy. Thus, Shuckle GX could be a tech Pokemon capable of attacking in almost any deck. It's a wall that can actually hit back, even if it's a somewhat mediocre amount of damage.

Dar Ksereth

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know how anyone looks at shuckle GX and thinks it's "Garbage."

If you're playing a slower deck that needs to set up, like garde, shuckle here is immune to basically everything that buzz and zoroark are likely to throw at you for a few turns.

It's a great one-of for slower decks to give them time.
exactly my thoughts, it's a great one-off for any stage 2 deck, works off one energy, has one energy retreat, and walls while softening stuff up. how many times has one gone "i need a CB to close the game", well here could be those extra 30 damage.

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
The ability is basically useless against decks that use more than 2 energy. But seeing as this card can literally be used in any type deck as a sacrificial lamb. Plus it could be useful for troll decks. In the current expanded format and in post-rotation expanded. But that's my opinion.

Dar Ksereth

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know how anyone looks at shuckle GX and thinks it's "Garbage."

If you're playing a slower deck that needs to set up, like garde, shuckle here is immune to basically everything that buzz and zoroark are likely to throw at you for a few turns.

It's a great one-of for slower decks to give them time.
exactly my thoughts, it's a great one-off for any stage 2 deck, works off one energy, has one energy retreat, and walls while softening stuff up. how many times has one gone "i need a CB to close the game", well here could be those extra 30 damage.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
Whoever asked for this, I hate you now.

That said, make this active, put out Virbank City Gym, bench four Seviper, and you've got yourself ninety damage in between turns. That's going to be annoying.

George

Plays 4 Ultra Ball in Every Deck
When can Espeon not have an attack that increases damage for each energy?

P.S. TPCi, if you are reading this, could you put a Flareon in this set that is good?
please.
pretty please.​

Kavross

Aspiring Trainer
In a super rogue Umbreon-GX loop deck using strafe, you could use retaliate when your pyukumuku, hoopa, or other wall is knocked out

BulbasaurusRex

Aspiring Trainer
espeon may be nice as a one of, but I’m guessing most players will know psychic decks will have it and will play accordingly.