'Charisma of the Wrecked Sky,' Japan's SM7 Set Announced!

Otaku

The wise fool?
This card is crazy good. I'm surprised that everyone is super against it 'wasting' a prism card slot.
I'd tech this in any deck that I'd make. It's a free prize, how is that NOT good.
Yes, ig you have to place it to your bench, but that's a pretty small cost for more card advantage, and a bigger lead.

Except it does not waste a Prism Card slot; once we have 60 or more Prism Cards available, you could build an entire deck using Prism Star cards. It is not like the Ace Spec mechanic, where you were not only restricted to one copy of an Ace Spec but one Ace Spec card overall.

It does eat up a general slot in your deck and a space on your Bench. Specifically, a space you need to keep open so its Ability will Bench itself when triggered (or else you don't get to take an extra Prize). There are ways to manipulate what ends up in your Prize cards, but none of them are efficient or reliable. Barring effects that trigger based on the number of Prizes taken, what matters in Pokémon is taking six Prizes before your opponent achieves a win condition (or you achieve an alternate win condition). The obvious exception is if the game goes to time and is decided based on Prizes (if that is how that is even handled nowadays in tournament play). If you take an extra Prize but do so in a way that weakens your deck, it is more likely to make you lose the game than win it.

I don't know why everyone is rating this card as mediocre/"interesting". This card is hot garbage, 80 hp, attack that can be ducked with a guzma or invasion, not to mention the attack costs 3 energy. Plus the ability is just another janky greedy dice thing, nobody will play this card. If you want a pokemon that plays with prizes, reprint azelf, if you want a good Jirachi, reprint ex deoxys jirachi. This card is just not playable

It is interesting, even if the card isn't worth running competitively (and I mean remotely competitively). Still, most of this seems like you skimming and only seeing the gushing posts like the one I quoted before, or mistaking people trying to find a way to make it work as anything more than fun speculation.

starg09

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder how this will work with Gladion?
It doesn't. You look at your prizes, so Jirachi Prism Star isn't face down when you pick it up. Being that the case, the ability won't activate.
Except it does not waste a Prism Card slot; once we have 60 or more Prism Cards available, you could build an entire deck using Prism Star cards. It is not like the Ace Spec mechanic, where you were not only restricted to one copy of an Ace Spec but one Ace Spec card overall.
It does "waste" one of the prism card slots for the expansion, is what most people so far probably meant. Which I disagree, since I feel with just some other decent card appearing in the future this could see some play (and we're definitely getting more stuff tampering with prizes, so the possibility is there! As for right now... Yeah, the card sucks lol).

Last edited:

RealMemeHours

Doubles God

Meant it in a different way, as in people thought this wasted a spot in the set where a different prism star could've been printed, that's all.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
If only there was some way you could guarantee drawing Jirachi PS from the prizes and utilizing it like somewhat of a strategy, but like @savarin said it's way too luck based. Even through modifying the odds with cards like Rotom Dex, Gladion, or Naganadel's GX attack you still don't know which prize card is Jirachi. Looking past that, we're looking at an attack comparable to GRI Absol's Doom News. Absol's Doom News, in which in order for it to work you gotta do some weird gimmicky trick to lock them in the active using an ability to attempt to get an OHKO for 3 total energy.

Not going to lie, I like to look at the positive to most cards revealed, I barely see much here. Normally I shouldn't care if one or two shiny cards get bad stats, but this is Jirachi we're talking about, the same kind of Pokemon with that great Wishing Star ability in 2006 or the one from Rising Rivals that let you search any card. Great support effects like that but not here. I'm disappointed, I believe this is the worst prism star card out of all the ones released / revealed so far. If you want to prove me wrong please do so when this card comes out as I usually like Jirachi's presence in the card game.

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
Card is Balanced but doesnt seem that strong tbh. U need to keep 1 bench space free and need to draw it in the first 4 prizes to have it activate so greedy dice yolo deck
actually you probably need lucky clover, greedy die, rotom dex, cards that get items out of your deck like order pad, trainer mail. the thing is you need to have jirachi in the prizes, if its in your deck you need multiple rotom dexs just in case it doesnt shuffle it into the deck. use a card that searches your deck look to see if you have jirachi in the prize. puzzle of time.
this probably needs to be in latios deck in expanded, for 1st turn prize.

Last edited:

card_collective

Aspiring Trainer
It’s a risk. Dunno if it would work with Dusk Mane? Oh, it could work with Rotom Dex and Ceelestella. You could ultra ball to search your deck, then if It’s in deck than rotom dex, and hopefully end up in prizes. Then you could blaster GX to see which one is Jirachi. Then take jirachi for an extra prize later on or if you knock out the Pokémon take immediately and take jirahi for the extra prize
uhm it wont work if you use blaster gx, it is indicated that it needs to be a face down prize card. rip

Anselm Sim

Aspiring Trainer
I can see some fun clowny mid to late games where you went from 4 prizes to 1 prize because you drew jirachi prism star off the 2 prizes from a GX Knockout. You then accelerate energy to it somehow, N your opponent to 1 with him having no answer to a Pokemon trapped active, and announce Dream of Destruction for game :D

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
They have been printing more "Trainers-as-Abilities" lately (Volcanion Prism = Repel, Kartana GX = Enhanced Hammer)

But I NEVER would have thought they'd try to land Greedy Dice, of all things, to print as an ability.

I love this card because, mechanically, it's goofy. I love it when Pokemon makes weird stuff. Like Gladion, Team Rocket Machines, Imakuni?'s Doduo, etc.

Competitively, it won't see any play.

Casually, this card will see play in every deck.

King Quagsire

Ruler of Route 212, Scourge of the swamp
I will be playing it with the eizards ratatta that lets you switch a prize with the top card of your deck

Yen

Aspiring Trainer
Nice ability but terrible attack cost....

Seriously Pokemon, when has a 4 attack energy cost ever been good....

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2

Energy costs can often be remedied by supporting cards.
ex. Ho-Oh's 4 attack cost wasn't a problem, because of Kiawe.

For Dragons, we have Zinnia, though I don't think you'd use this card as an attacker...

TehSilhouette

Aspiring Trainer

Giratina-EX's Chaos Wheel attack comes to mind, but we did have Double Dragon Energy to work with, then.

But yeah, the attack here is naff for 4 energy. You'd only play this for the ability.

Josney26

Aspiring Trainer
The ability’s great but it’ll be hard to tech it in decks since it’s a stage 2. And I don’t see it being a deck by itself because it doesn’t do much damage. But the ability is still great and you could play Lance or Dragonite GX to get it out without evolving so that could work for it. If Salamence GX gets big this will be amazing for it.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Salamence - An ability that is like a Lysandre is the thing that I can agree with. Although the atk is not worth playing it. We have Salamence-GX in this set that can retreat this Baby Salamence #HeyNick?! and switch to more hard-hitting atkr. GX has a 200-for-4 atk but they are better ways. For now, as long Guzma is a thing, 3 Geodudes

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Salamence gives free retreat for non-EX/GX Pokemonm
The ability’s great but it’ll be hard to tech it in decks since it’s a stage 2. And I don’t see it being a deck by itself because it doesn’t do much damage. But the ability is still great and you could play Lance or Dragonite GX to get it out without evolving so that could work for it. If Salamence GX gets big this will be amazing for it.

What for?