'Charisma of the Wrecked Sky,' Japan's SM7 Set Announced!

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Yay Treecko.

Yay Torchic.

Yay water energies to hand on Mudkip.

Never underestimate the power of drawing cards. Sure Swampert is a stage 2 but they've obviously been done before and the consistency is worth it. Draw 3 man, it's always useful no matter what. The attack is also good but if we're going to add Kingdra-GX into the mix that's 2 stage 2's. You wanna do it right you make it as consistent as possible.

Manectric is a cool card. Maybe not the best one but I just like it's design.

Lemme get this straight: Delcatty is two VS Seekers on one card? Granted by this point you don't have Sycamore anymore but on the other side ability lock isn't nearly as accessable as Garbodor. Cool!

Banette is also cool in some sort of "snipe it again for 2 more prizes", kind of like M Latios from back then.

ACRO BIKE IS BACK!?!? Well, maybe I should've predicted a reprint of it, you know, since Acro Bike is one of the main bikes in 3rd gen but still though, glad to have it back! Just a little more solitare for the decks that want it.

jperr

Aspiring Trainer
I think acro bike might find a home in some decks when rotation comes around, as it gives a way for decks to strive for some more consistency, especially ones that don’t mind putting cards in the discard. Swampert will definitely be a fun card especially since we have a number of cards to really help water pokemon. I can honestly only think how good it would be if we still had Archie’s Ace in the Hole available, so maybe expanded will find a home for it (maybe...). Also, Garbodor BKP rotating might sort of allow speed decks? Maybe?

i was talking about trashalanche garb. the whole idea around speed decks was to fill them to the brim with items so you could basically mow through half of your deck turn one, which of course means garb could pulverize you. i still think some decks will be playing acro bike, but it just won't have the same backing power as it did before.

FlashRayquaza

Rayquaza Fan
Okay there are a lot of cards with competitive potential this time:
- Swampert:
Attack is okay, but the Ability! It's a better Trade and Swampert isn't a GX Pokémon. Only downside, it's a stage 2.
- Acro Bike
Comes back and can be combined with the new Magcargo! Sure it will see at least some play.
- Delcatty
This is very very stong postrotation! And propably even more strong when Lele rotates.
- Stevens Decision
Could be the upcoming T1 Lele supporter. Nice effect guarantees you a good setup which can't be N'ed away postrotation.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
So based on card placement, it looks like we'll be getting 2 Treecko and Mudkip (probably also Torchic, who knows). Also, assuming Steven's Decision is the first FA Supporter, and there's no Supporters before him, we'll be getting another GX card at some point!

Also, can I just say how happy I am that Delcatty finally got another holo card? Last time that happened was in Platinum! :D

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
So based on card placement, it looks like we'll be getting 2 Treecko and Mudkip (probably also Torchic, who knows).

Gotta keep the trend going of having two of each starters, with one of them using Ken Sugimori stock art. I predict 60Hp Treecko & Torchic, and 70Hp Mudkip.

Actually now that I think about it this isn't just a starter Pokemon trend; I believe all 3-stage lines have this ever since it was brought into Ultra Prism/SM5.

Edit: I just remembered Torchic is in Champion Road, so could that mean 3 Torchics for our Celestial Storm? This might be why Combusken from Champion Road was a reprint of the Ken Sugimori one while the Torchic wasn't lol.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Gotta keep the trend going of having two of each starters, with one of them using Ken Sugimori stock art. I predict 60Hp Treecko & Torchic, and 70Hp Mudkip.

Actually now that I think about it this isn't just a starter Pokemon trend; I believe all 3-stage lines have this ever since it was brought into Ultra Prism/SM5.
Actually looking at the booster box, they may do it Dragon Storm style, since none of the Treecko artworks are Sugimori and then just have some other random cards be Sugimori instead

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Actually looking at the booster box, they may do it Dragon Storm style, since none of the Treecko artworks are Sugimori and then just have some other random cards be Sugimori instead

Ah good catch on that Treecko. Awww trend broken lol. Well Dragon Storm already broke it by not only having 2 non-Ken Sugimori arts, but also there are 3-stage lines in there that don't have a second copy such as Charmander, Trapinch & Jangmo-o. But this is the first main set to break it I suppose.

Last edited:

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
This is great already, can't wait for it to come out. Dragons are gonna have a lot of options but Gardevoir is gonna hurt them from really striving though.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Cool cards. Hopefully, we will soon see both Lileep and Anorith cards saying that they evolve from Unidentified Fossil.

Wechselbalg

brb
lol Swampert has Trade on steroids but is a stage 2 and a has a mediocre attack.

Ugh, Acro Bike. One of those spammable item cards returns to Standard...at least Trashalanche is going to love this.

Delcatty is bad unless you desperately want a budget Lele replacement.

Manectric is...interesting? A worse Talfonflame STS.

Banette is also...interesting? Target Whistle ability which is not really needed in Standard. If the attack was only [P] it might have found some niche use, but for this cost it's mostly meme material again, just like the GX.

All-in-all an interesting batch of cards but most of them probably won't be played to great effect.

StupidAutist

Aspiring Trainer
I think Blaziken is good. Non GX + GX have synergy, they both share the same evolutionary line and 3 cost for 210dmg is worth it, and non GX's 3energy for 90/ 20 each benched pokemon seems nice too, but only when exilir + strong energy rotates. Until that, buzzwole will be the only good deck.

Sceptile is autowin against any ultrabeast decks, specially without Garbotoxin post rotation. UBs are everywhere, and are, 99% of time,, the main attackers, so of course sceptile will be good (as long as UBs are Tier 1).
Buzzwhole can just attack with Lycanroc and make the ability kinda pointless.

StupidAutist

Aspiring Trainer
If I'm being totally honest, I really wish the Kanto/Johto pokemon from Champion Road weren't being included in Celestial Storm. It would make room for more Alola/Hoenn Pokemon, and I kind of wish we'd get more Alolan GXs like Dusk Lycanroc and Alolan Sandslah, and also a few Hoenn GXs like Deoxys and the other starters. Plus, if the rumors about the next switch games being Kanto-based are true, wouldn't pokemon want to save some of those GXs for when those games release?
I would love to use Kaboutops GX, but he'll probably suck because stage 2.

StupidAutist

Aspiring Trainer
Yay Treecko.

Never underestimate the power of drawing cards. Sure Swampert is a stage 2 but they've obviously been done before and the consistency is worth it. Draw 3 man, it's always useful no matter what. The attack is also good but if we're going to add Kingdra-GX into the mix that's 2 stage 2's. You wanna do it right you make it as consistent as possible.

If you want to draw cards with Kingdra, Octilery and Zoroark GX are better choices; they are easier to get into play and save more deck space. 80 plus 20 for each water energy attached isn't too good either, you need five water energy and a band to KO the big threats llke buzz and Ultra Necrozma.