Japan's SM6+ Set, 'Dragon Storm,' Plus 'Champion Road' Mini-Set!

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
so this is basically a permanent busting balloon for dragon types only.
wasn't there already a rocky helmet card that worked just like this...

*spends 5 minutes on google... yeah in noble victories. Rocky helmet put 2 damage counters on attacking pokemon.

i'm still not impressed. if it was plus 30 to a dragon type pokemons attack during your turn that would make choice band obsolete since you could then do your bonus damage to non gx cards.

oh well. a garchomp player can dream right?

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Welp, was correct that it was a dragon item, but it's useless. Same damage as a choice band and it works on your opponent's turn. Also doesn't hit any important numbers.

Druddigon really needed at least 130hp and to be able to hit at least 170 after return damage to be playable. I don't know why they don't feel comfortable printing 130hp single prize basics anymore, in the XY era there were plenty of them, Yveltal, Xerneas, Volcanion, ect. Compare similar cards printed more recently, the last Yveltal had 120, Raikou had 120, right in the sweet spot for Zoroark to KO. Yeah they printed some absurd HP on stuff like Regigigas and baby Zygarde but those cards were relegated to bulk status by stupid high attack costs in an age where every deck has an X-Ball.

They creep GX power to the point where stage 1 GX cards have as much HP and better attacks than megas did without the mega evolution rule while designing single prize attackers that are generally much weaker than the staples of previous sets.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Dragon's talon is pretty bad... Really it has only one use, and that's getting better math against nonGX. Otherwise this card has no place in standard... I was hoping it would either be something else to help with dragon's energy problem, or an evolutionary aid, since most dragons will be stage 2 now.

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
Yay. More half hearted attempts at making dragons good. #sigh.

Yog

Rogue
Dragon Talon isn't all bad. Defensive tools are worse as a rule of thumb but I can see it nicely in Noivern where it can't be blown away.

There is another advantage to it over Choice Band bar just hitting non-GX. And that is when you KO with points to spare. If you are reaching 240 on a 210 opponent anyway, well it's better to take that extra 30 off the next attacker. I mean, it's still a worse option than Choice Band, but not entirely trash tier at all.