News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
Huh, this could be a fun little deck, being able to do 200 for 3 energy while being able to search out what ever card you want (which will probably most likely be Cynthia or Lusamine if you run out of Cynthia)

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Hmm! Interesting...
DOES ANYONE REALIZE THAT GARCHOMP ONLY REQUIRES 1 TYPE OF ENERGY?!?!?!?!?
DOES THIS MEAN GOODRA MIGHT ACTUALLY BE PLAYABLE IN SM6 WHEN WE ARE UNDOUBTEDLY GETTING A GOODRA GX?!?!?!

Etunes

Aspiring Trainer
2 pokemon who i wanted to get some love. This may be awesome to play. Especially with the fact he takes a fighting type energy. Might be able to see some cool pairings come out of this. Very good to see with a great pokemon.

BTW i love that cynthia is getting so much love. Poor oak though. lol

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
Still can't wait to see a full art version of Cynthia at some point, cause it will probably be N's replacement if it gets rotated out during the next go around.

maximusrtc

Aspiring Trainer
I assume this Lucario stacks so if you had 2-3 in play this would be pretty ridiculous. Not only could you search out your Cynthia's but also rare candy's/Garchomps so you can continue to stream attackers. Also, fairy weakness on Garchomp won't be nearly as scary with so much metal love in SM5.

Sorpah

King of Not Much
Strange and interesting. This could be a really good deck. Lucario's ability is amazing in this one specific scenario.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I think Ghetsis was the last holos Supporter?
As far as Supporters go, not including alternate holo reprints, I believe that's correct. After that, there were also the two Team Flare Hyper Gear cards, Head Ringer and Jamming Net in Phantom Forces. So those two are the most recent Trainer holos.

Very interesting combo with these cards! And I like that Cynthia's in the artwork for the Garchomp card too. I'm curious how TPCi's going to handle the rarity of Cynthia, though... Are they going to keep it as a holo, making this staple Supporter (or semi-staple--it depends) more difficult to pull? Or will they be fair about it and make it an uncommon?

Last edited:

Nyan

She/They
It’s been a long, long time since a regular Trainer has been released as a holo card in a set. I can’t even remember the last time it happened.

Ghetsis Plasma Freeze was when it last happened ;)

The Ultimate Umbreon

To Ultra space and beyond!
Well the last time we had a holo trainer was in Plasma Blast with Ghetsis so it's cool it's back. Also that Garchomp only needs one type of energy so it could be playable.

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
This has very powerful synergy, even better in expanded as others have said.

So second garchomp attack if we play Cynthia that turn we deal 200 base, with one altaria drx and choice band we hit that 250 that everything is koed by atm. Standard and Expanded have multiple ways to grab the Cynthia so we can use it turn after turn.

Only problem I see is a 2-2 (3-3) lucario line and 3-2-3 (or similar) garchomp line (and 2-2 altaria in expanded) line uses up a lot of deck space before considering staples like 2 or 3 lele gx, alolan vulpix, etc, so a lot of testing is needed to find the right ratio for it to get setup quickly.

still from the cards shown so far I can see garchomp and various metal decks becoming big, depending on which wins out gardevoir gx may still have a place as it can easily ko garchomp with weakness.

PieterPie

Aspiring Trainer
As far as Supporters go, not including alternate holo reprints, I believe that's correct. After that, there were also the two Team Flare Hyper Gear cards, Head Ringer and Jamming Net in Phantom Forces. So those two are the most recent Trainer holos.

Very interesting combo with these cards! And I like that Cynthia's in the artwork for the Garchomp card too. I'm curious how TPCi's going to handle the rarity of Cynthia, though... Are they going to keep it as a holo, making this staple Supporter (or semi-staple--it depends) more difficult to pull? Or will they be fair about it and make it an uncommon?

I don't think it needs to be an uncommon to be "fair". With the amount of new product that gets open these days, staples don't all need to be uncommons imo. This could be a $10 until another print comes out. What is the most expensive T/S/S staple (lowest rarity) these days? $2?

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
This has very powerful synergy, even better in expanded as others have said.

So second garchomp attack if we play Cynthia that turn we deal 200 base, with one altaria drx and choice band we hit that 250 that everything is koed by atm. Standard and Expanded have multiple ways to grab the Cynthia so we can use it turn after turn.

Only problem I see is a 2-2 (3-3) lucario line and 3-2-3 (or similar) garchomp line (and 2-2 altaria in expanded) line uses up a lot of deck space before considering staples like 2 or 3 lele gx, alolan vulpix, etc, so a lot of testing is needed to find the right ratio for it to get setup quickly.

still from the cards shown so far I can see garchomp and various metal decks becoming big, depending on which wins out gardevoir gx may still have a place as it can easily ko garchomp with weakness.

No need for Altaria in Expanded. Garchomp could work on his own but it benefits a lot from Vs Seeker because in standard he is limited to hit for 200 to 240 (Choice and and Devoured Plain) four times. The deck could also benefit a lot from Counter Energy since it most likely goes down in prizes and needs to maintain a stage two and a stage one at the same time.