News Japan's SM4+ Set: 'GX Battle Boost!'

Kawaki

Aspiring Trainer
I imagine this is just a new Eevee for kicks, but I'm estimating only Umbreon and Espeon GX will be in this set (the promos we got in our Umbreon and Espeon GX Collection Boxes). The set already includes a sum of GXs that were released as promos already). I'd love some new Eeveelutions but I'm guessing the Ultra Sun/Moon set will have more of these cuties with how large that set is promised to be.

EGrim

Rising Top Competitor
Yeah I think this more of a "whats to be released soon" prelude card rather than actually competitive card, so we'll see soon.

miyamoris

Aspiring Trainer
Highly doubt most GXs from the set have already been released in the form of alternate art versions of cards. (Lunala and Solgaleo tins. Kommo-o GX box, and many other products)

Maybe in a future set then? Idk, an Eevee that benefits from multiple types in the bench is too on the nose for me lol

I_miss_Zoroark_GX

Aspiring Trainer
Meh, just a filler card. The energy evolution eevee is so much better that there's no way to justify using this. Hopefully it's an indicator that we'll be receiving more eveelutions gxs. The original trio and the D/P duo are still missing. It'd be kind of cool the have every eeveelution deck be a different kind of archetype.

Kyle Asplund

Life is like a boomerang, it all just comes back.
They gotta print a RayquazaGX, a GroudonGX, & a KyogreGX, if they can print such other miraculous mons like them all.

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
Not ALL of them, but you're right, the max number of types on your bench is 8 (volc, galvantula, bisharp, and 2 others), which means you're hitting 80 for a DCE.

the max types we can get atm with 5 bench slots is 9 out of the 11 types, you missed M Gardevoir EX. Still 90 for DCE and a full bench of 1-2 basics, 2 stage 1s and a mega is a tall order and not really worth it.

also think the only types in steam siege to not get a dual was colorless and dragon.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
I swear to God if we don't get Vaporeon GX, Jolteon GX, or Leafeon GX i'm going to flip out.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Pros:
  • High HP basic
  • First attack will OHKO Garbodor
  • Able to OHKO most mons with a CB + it's GX
  • Killing with GX attack essentially lets you pick your prizes
  • Steel typing is strong VS Gardevoir
  • Unlike most steel types, does not have a weakness to Fire

Cons:
  • High Energy Costs
  • Underwhelming Second Attack
  • High Retreat Cost
Due to these cons, it will be outpaced rather easily and have many lackluster match-ups.​

Do we have a deck that can utilize it's strengths?
... I'm hopeful.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
The energy costs are too high for the damage these attacks do. All these attacks are done by different Pokemon at the same damage but for less energy

mirdo

Seagull Overlord and Business Entrepreneur
Ok. So this Card seems underwhelming.
But due to it's super high HP for a basic, diffrent Weakness than Fire and actually pretty cool GX attack i can see this thing beeing played in Metagross. It's definitly not gonna be it's own deck. But that GX attack is a free Town Map and a 1HKO on pretty much everything in the Meta right now (minus Metagross). Also you get to turn over the Price Cards before you take the Knock Out Price Cards. So that's pretty neat too.
So this could easily be a tech just like Necrozma is.

Personal prefrence will show.

JeroenM

Aspiring Trainer
Just to be sure.. Question about de GX attack.

Blaster GX: 180 damage. Turn each of your face-down cards face up. (Those cards stay face-up for the rest of the game.) (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

It says 'Turn each of your face-down cards face up" So probably only your Prize cards.. But why doesn't it just say turn up your prize cards? Could something new be coming? And why doesn't your entire deck count as face-down cards? Or does it count..?

uncleyuri

~
'Turn each of your face down cards face up'

Prizes are face down but so is your deck. Is this just limited to prizes or are you also turning your deck face up as well?

WastedSkyPirate

I expect the GX attack just to affect prize cards.

Notice that all of the UB cards GX attacks interact with the prize cards in some way.