News Japan's SM3+ Set: 'Shining Legends!'

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Spiritomb/Volcarona is an interesting combo. Maybe with the new Dusknoir for it's Ability too. Would be an interesting rogue deck :)

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Guzma will kind of help to counteract the Spiritomb Volcarona idea which I also had when I was looking at the setlist, seems like a pretty hard counter, switch whatever's tomb trapped out, get Volcarona in and KO it. I can see that Volcarona being a pretty good card though, it's very disruptive if your opponent doesn't have a lot of free retreaters/float stones available.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Raichu WILL see play. It's a better Darkrai with a GX attack. Only problem is you need a non-fighting weak attacker, since Zygarde will no doubt see play without Vespiquen in the format anymore. The set in general is pretty good. And the cards that aren't good have amazing art. I'm happy about this.

Olimar.Inc

Aspiring Trainer
I know I'm being a fat chicken wing for saying this, but didn't shiny volcanion have a much clearer picture?

SuperHoopa

Aspiring Trainer
Do we know if the english cards will say "Shining" in front of them, or is that just to clarify on the website that they are Shiny Pokemon?

Also, definitely adding Shiny Rayray into my dragon deck, attaching a Choice Band to it would make it 1HKO almost any GX or EX.

Rindon

Aspiring Trainer
If DDE gets reprinted shining Ray could become a powerful deck. could easily have synergy with any of the energy attaching Pokemon, ie , vikavolt (although grass and electric). Was hoping for a shiny kyogre/groudon to go with ray as well

Why is Torrocat a basic?

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Shining Ray isn't that good tbh, it'd be a nice card in expanded with eels but old dragon Ray-EX puts out more damage and is more versatile. Even that isn't that good, it's more of a legacy deck. DDE is a non solution given its special energy status and the fact you need to discard 3 energy, which would force you to ditch both DDE if you didn't also have a basic energy attached. The LL in the cost is a real killer.

imo

Star cards: Raichu-GX

Interesting tech options: Shining Celebi, Marshadow, Volcarona, Shaymin, Manaphy, Shining Mew, Hoopa

Zoroark could be good with the right support in future sets but idk how valuable he will be as a bench sitter considering sky field is rotating and even if we get a replacement, Sudowoodo is a really cheap tech against bench scaling decks. Jirachi would also be good except for the fact that Espeon-EX exists and seems better in any situation except for devolving a non-rare candied stage 2 in the active slot.

usagibae

Gorf
Im confused. As someone mentioned earlier, it was reported on here that Shining Ho-oh would be a promotional card in Japan, but would also be released in the set with alternative artwork.

If this hasn't been retracted, why do we have Shining Genesect listed instead? Shining Genesect wouldn't make much sense to be honest, as we've already seen cards feature Shiny Genesect as a promotional tool for that one movie.

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
Do we know if the english cards will say "Shining" in front of them, or is that just to clarify on the website that they are Shiny Pokemon?

Also, definitely adding Shiny Rayray into my dragon deck, attaching a Choice Band to it would make it 1HKO almost any GX or EX.
The "ひかる" that proceeds each Shining Pokemon's name is the Japanese word for shining, so yes, they will be "Shining X" in the English set.
In article linked below it mentions Ho-oh being in the set with alternate artwork to the promo.

http://www.pokebeach.com/2017/06/shining-mew-shining-ho-oh-and-marshadow-from-sm3-shining-legends
I think that's just an assumption. While the official Japanese website does say it's an alternate art print, it doesn't specifically state it's from Shining Legends, and it is not in the official set list. Maybe they'll release it some other way with the other art through a tournament or promo product and it'll be a SR in a different English set.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I should have clarified that we only have the official set list up to the secret rares (as in, Warp Energy). Everything after that is an assumption. The alternate art Shining Ho-Oh might be a SR.

ProcInc

Aspiring Trainer
Latios?

But Latios got all the attention in XY. What's up with that?

Obviously the massive number of legendaries and mythicals helps but this is one of the best looking sets in a long to me.