News Japan's SM3+ Set: 'Shining Legends!'

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Throw enough lightning pokemon at the wall and one has to stick right? I honestly feel like that is what is going on here sadly :( There still isn't really enough energy acceleration for anything lightning to succeed with the [L][L][C] they continue to insist on putting on them. While Magnezone *could* get you there, you are still talking about a S2 + S1 along with enough energy to make it work and that has inconsistent deck written all over it :(

As for Raikou, is there some particular reason they feel the need to make it so it doesn't drag as many energy out as Volcanion? As it stands, there aren't enough "nuke" pokemon in the lightning tree to really take advantage of this. I hope Raikou, Raichu GX, Koko GX becomes a thing. Just not sure how well that thing actually works.

I feel Pokemon that can hit for weakness should avoid big number. As for Raikou, I think they just want to slow the game down and 30 for one plus and attaching two basic Energy from the discard pile is too good.

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
I feel Pokemon that can hit for weakness should avoid big number. As for Raikou, I think they just want to slow the game down and 30 for one plus and attaching two basic Energy from the discard pile is too good.

Which would be fine if that were true across the board. It isn't and there aren't *that* many pokemon that are lightning weak ATM. I am guessing they think Raichu GX + Raikou is going to look a lot like "Not So Turbo Darkrai". The issue is that half the reason that deck works is because it requires 4 fewer pokemon than Raichu GX will require to perform the same amount of damage. The good thing about Raichu GX is that it can provide the hammer that Koko decks are sorely lacking giving it a base synergy with a card that could succeed after this next rotation. The second and third attacks on Raichu are hot garbage though and unfortunately I think people are going to find that getting that much energy down is more effort than it is worth and lightning decks will remain in purgatory.

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
So why did we not get alolan raichu? This card is so generic in attack and looks, it doesn't need to exist.

Xeynid

Aspiring Trainer
The different types in the game have their own little niches. Water types get boatloads of utility support, Psychic types get scaling damage, Fighting types are bad, Fire Types have a gimmick around constantly sending energy cards into and out of the discard pile.

Makes sense that the fire pokemon can get energy back better than an electric or dark pokemon.

jorgerangel

Aspiring Trainer
WHY CANT THERE BE A ALOLAN RAICHU GX INSETEAD OF A NORMAL RAICHU GX.WHO LIKE ALOLAN RICHU BETTER THEN THE NORMAL RAICHU

xavier1102

Aspiring Trainer
I chose the 4 line just so you could get at least 1 or 2 out and insta-attack with Raichu. The other two would likely be dead cards. Hopefully nobody actually decides to use all 4 in a match because you're right - they'd be setting themselves up for an insta-loss.

And now that Raikou has been revealed, I'd probably play this more like Volcanion and cut something to fit 2 of them in.

Now I'm thinking it looks something like this. Feel free to make edits per your preference!

Pokemon 16
4 Tapu Koko GX
4 Voltorb
3 Electrode
3 Pikachu
2 Raichu GX
2 Tapu Lele
2 Raikou

Supporter 12
3 Sycamore
3 N
2 Acerola
2 Lysandre / Guzma
1 Brigette
1 Ace Trainer

Stadium 4
4 Aether

Tool 4
4 Choice Band

Item 14
4 Ultra Ball
4 Max Elixir
2 VS Seeker
2 Multi Switch
1 Super Rod
1 Field Blower

Energy 10
10 Lighting Energy
Dude you don't need 3 electrodes it gets rekt by flare grunt and hammers 2-2 line max

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
I chose the 4 line just so you could get at least 1 or 2 out and insta-attack with Raichu. The other two would likely be dead cards. Hopefully nobody actually decides to use all 4 in a match because you're right - they'd be setting themselves up for an insta-loss.

And now that Raikou has been revealed, I'd probably play this more like Volcanion and cut something to fit 2 of them in.

Now I'm thinking it looks something like this. Feel free to make edits per your preference!

Pokemon 16
4 Tapu Koko GX
4 Voltorb
3 Electrode
3 Pikachu
2 Raichu GX
2 Tapu Lele
2 Raikou

Supporter 12
3 Sycamore
3 N
2 Acerola
2 Lysandre / Guzma
1 Brigette
1 Ace Trainer

Stadium 4
4 Aether

Tool 4
4 Choice Band

Item 14
4 Ultra Ball
4 Max Elixir
2 VS Seeker
2 Multi Switch
1 Super Rod
1 Field Blower
Energy 10
10 Lighting Energy

Where's the Jolteon EX at, as it eliminates the big threat of Marshadow GX? I would personally replace Koko GX with them.

Kyrushi

Squirrel
I want to run this for sure given my love for the electric rodents! good to finally see a great Raichu card. I already do similar to this with Kingdra EX, however. Kingdra EX is much stronger, too. Magnezone + Clemont is an awesome combo though! I feel people often forget Clemont exists tbh.

BrandonHappened

Ghosts and Fairies are kinda my jam
*Looks at Venusaur* If Forest gets rotated out I'm playing expanded.

But seriously, WHAT? I feel like Grass decks are gonna become more of a thing now. Speeding up the set up of Trevenant and Vileplume? Yes please.
I just wish there was more OP love for other types.
As a final note, doesn't this just make you glad that Poison types aren't represented by Grass anymore?