Discussion Best Decks Post Rotation(Assuming BKT on)

AshGottem

Aspiring Trainer
So what does everyone think will be the best decks post rotation? Really hoping espeon garb is still tier 1 as I love it but let's try and come up with some post BUR/rotation lists people

Looking at the way things are right now, Metagross GX will be a very popular deck. Espeon Garb might not be #1 but it will definitely be up there.

I think it's really hard to tell at the moment. Certain decks that were tier 1 this season may not be viable at all next season, but we also might see decks that we have never seen come into the format after rotation. It really is up in the air! That being said, I would expect Garb variants to still be okay, Metagross GX will definitely see play at the beginning of the season, and then I'm sure other decks might come to fruition once Burning Shadows and other sets come out

Volcanion loses nothing and is super consistent. It's actually India scary how good it's gonna be still. It also can one shot all these high HP Pokémon so we shall see. Biased tepees espeon though just love the card in general.

Bulu vikavolt and volcanion don't lose much or at least anything that everyone else is losing. Gardevoir will sadly die out without shaymin

Bulu vikavolt just has a bit of a rough time hitting the right numbers, metagross, the new gardevoir gx, volcanion with fury belt(it's being run in it again) all things our big green friend can't ohko

Volcanion will be the BDIF. It loses literally nothing except VS Seeker/Lysandre (Guzma), which every deck runs. It is also incredibly consistent.
That's why I'm playing this deck now, It's so good.

Volcanion will be the BDIF. It loses literally nothing except VS Seeker/Lysandre (Guzma), which every deck runs. It is also incredibly consistent.
That's why I'm playing this deck now, It's so good.
I agree to an extent, though I believe a competent espeon player has the advantage in that matchup.

I agree to an extent, though I believe a competent espeon player has the advantage in that matchup.

I never said It's not going to have unfavorable match-ups. No deck goes without one, and no deck goes without a counter.
I'm just saying that it will be overall the best and most consistent.

Float Stone my friend. Float stone. Counters the confusion.
Not so much float as it is psychic snagging an ohko with band, garbotoxin garb is still a thing as well. In addition, Necrozma GX plus koko makes garbs life a hell of a lot easier even if you guys only toss a few items.

Not so much float as it is psychic snagging an ohko with band, garbotoxin garb is still a thing as well. In addition, Necrozma GX plus koko makes garbs life a hell of a lot easier even if you guys only toss a few items.
Have to agree on most consistent. All basic and rather simple strategy to pull off gotta love volc.

What's been working for me against garbs, playing on PCTGO, is countering the prize trade w/ Baby Volcanion. Due to Garb's minimal HP, 120, It is easy to kill. As long as you cut back on items, which I do now and will be easy w/o Seekers in BKT-On, It is hard for Garb to keep up w/ Baby Volcanions damage output. Also Volc is basic, while garb has to evolve.
My record with Volcanion online is 79-19.

I think Alolan Ninetales GX can be strong, as it loses only Rough Seas, which can be replaced by Brooklet Hill. For healing we can use Pokemon Center Lady, or even Max Potion + some Special Charges (when we are attacking with Ninetales using only DCE). The only big issue will be Metagross GX.

I think Sylveon will be viable next format. The format will be significantly slowed down and a lot of cards that made aggro decks fast and efficient will be rotated out. Losing VS Seeker doesn't hurt it mvh as you just bolster up your appropriate Supporter lines.

Plus, no more Hex Maniac means no potential T2 Eevee donk.

Top decks that stick around and lose basically nothing.
Garb Variants
Metagross GX
Zoroark BREAK
Tapu-Bulu GX (Vika or Lurantis
Volcanian
Darkrai
Ninetales (With/without Owl)
Greninja BREAK

Potiential Decks:
Solgaleo GX
Gardevoir GX
Noivern GX
Golisopod GX
Sylveon GX
Dusclops
Kingdra

Those are the decks I think will either keep their steam, or gain new steam. As far as Tiers go, I'm not going to speculate on that just yet.

I know it's a bit later on but I'm really looking towards Darkrai GX/ Zoroark GX.

People underplay A Muk GX, but I really think that deck has a shot at mixing things up.

I also play Solgaleo GX/ Rayquaza and I really feel like that deck is going to be a potent threat with Metagross and Bulu running around. It doesn't love Espeon Garb but it can win it.

Last edited:
I know it's a bit later on but I'm really looking towards Darkrai GX/ Zoroark GX.

People underplay A Muk GX, but I really think that deck has a shot at mixing things up.

I also play Solgaleo GX/ Rayquaza and I really feel like that deck is going to be a potent threat with Metagross and Bulu running around. It doesn't love Espeon Garb but it can win it.
Zoroark GX is a great card for expanded, but not for standard. We went have Skyfield on its release, so you're capped at 120 damage, which is honestly a bit underwhelming compared to other decks.

Muk has to many problems to be a competitive deck. It's got consistency issues, damage issues, high attack costs with huge retreat costs, and it's fragile because it relies on a back line.

Solgaleo GX is going to be a Tier 2 minimum deck. Rayquaza gave the deck so much room, but the same theory as Lurantis GX.

Zoroark GX is a great card for expanded, but not for standard. We went have Skyfield on its release, so you're capped at 120 damage, which is honestly a bit underwhelming compared to other decks.

Muk has to many problems to be a competitive deck. It's got consistency issues, damage issues, high attack costs with huge retreat costs, and it's fragile because it relies on a back line.

Solgaleo GX is going to be a Tier 2 minimum deck. Rayquaza gave the deck so much room, but the same theory as Lurantis GX.

Zoroark GX can also be mixed with regular Zoroark BREAK assuming that it doesn't rotate and there's crazy synergy between Mallow/ Zoroark GX/ and Darkrai GX. The only thing I see missing from that deck is a good way to inflict status so as to make proper use of Darkrai's GX attack.

I honestly don't agree with your A Muk GX assessment. With a strong line of Salazzle, cards like Devo/ Accerola (Po Town)/ and Super Scoop Up I really don't think consistency is an issue, especially considering Brigette. Hell, A Grimer from BUS can put another Grimer on the bench, so it's pretty hard to have a non-start. DCC isn't really a high attack cost, and it's got a free GX attack that is perfect for stalling and forcing out a switching option. I don't understand how it's got damage issues... It's hitting 1hkos on most of the meta with Salazzle alone. Teching in Raichu for Metagross and Decidueye will easily put you over the top. It's retreat costs aren't really concerning to me considering Guzma/ Olypmia/ Escape Rope/ Switch/ Float Stone are all still in the format and will probably remain there post rotation. One thing that won't stick arond but that will play off that high retreat cost very well though is Heavy Ball.

Post rotation will be slower anyway. I see two main deck types. The fast T2 attackers that get two shots on everything but are weak to prize denial, and the big, slow, one shot machines.

Last edited:
Back