News 'Islands Waiting for You' and 'Moonlight of Alola': Japan's Next Sun and Moon TCG Set!

jakedun

2093 Pokemon TCG Elders Divison World Champion
Aqua Patch is unbalanced in my opinion. I still don´t think there is any truly amazing water Pokemon in the format: even Lapras to me seems a bit clunky because it requires constant Pokemon Ranger use (unless you attach a float stone to your Laprases and switch out every turn.)
Truly it's n0t unbalance Because of Decidueye/ Vileplume being one of the top decks in the format. It can't beat it. And for the ones with electric weakness electric seems to be a solid type with Tapu Koko GX and Jolteon EX

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
Wishwishi Gx, Toxopex Gx and Vikavolt Gx are bad too.

Except from lele, the value of trainers > Gx in this set

Rhyno

not very cool dude
I don't want to see lunala get a deck. It will be too much for my heart. For real though, Hau full art looks amazing

I also really like the variety of GXs. There was a point I crossed in sun and moon base where I only opened to get the secret rares or fa supporters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coolpilot

Bisharps don't know 'bout my Togekiss
Advanced Member
Oh god, a DCE FA Gold Card. Place your bets on what will be more expensive: The FA DCE or FA Ultra Ball?

As for the set itself, I'm glad to see that Sensu Oricorio made it into this set & not the next (it's a nice potential tech card for a deck I'm planning...), and am overall fairly pleased with the stuff in the set. Still think Leaf Blower should only have been 1 tool or stadium (or, you know, just make a new Xerosic...), that Aqua Patch might end up being balanced post-rotation but is super dangerous right now, that Hala is a bit too powerful (and puts too much emphasis on using GX pokemon/attacks), that Tapu Lele should've had a worse attack to balance the powerful ability, that Sableye has the potential to be absolutely game-breaking alongside Vileplume (though we'll have to see on that! and thankfully it only has 60 HP), that they really shouldn't have printed a grass-type Phantump (ugh, turn one Trevs w/forest... If you want to make a card like forest, either balance your grass types around its existance or reprint Broken Time Space!), that Japan's "expansion" sets are hurting our sets a bit (yay for cards you can't use unless you get stuff from another set! Not. I hate when they do that - also hurts drafts a lot, though thankfully it's only one card this set), and that Expanded will continue to be absolutely horrible.

And that's with me being super critical, cause I love the SM sets so much, otherwise. :p

Also, glad that Choice Band exists. I know some dislike it because it makes EX/GX vs EX/GX battles that much more about who gets the first OHKOs (or occasional 2HKO), but it really helps non-EX/GXs stand up to those monstrosities, considering most non-EX/GXs can be easily one-shot by EX/GXs already, despite taking more work to set-up half the time.

Finally, yay for good-card-type-variety! :D

shinymew

Aspiring Trainer
Cards I NEED from this set: Secret rare Rare Candy, Secret Rare DCE, Secret Rare Crushing hammer, Secret Rare Aqua Patch, Secret Rare Max Potion, Any Tapu-Lele (That's going to be expensive) Ninetales Full Art, Sylveon Full Art, Vikavolt Hyper Rare, Mallow Full Art, Hau Full Art. Jeez, RIP my wallet.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
Cards I NEED from this set: Secret rare Rare Candy, Secret Rare DCE, Secret Rare Crushing hammer, Secret Rare Aqua Patch, Secret Rare Max Potion, Any Tapu-Lele (That's going to be expensive) Ninetales Full Art, Sylveon Full Art, Vikavolt Hyper Rare, Mallow Full Art, Hau Full Art. Jeez, RIP my wallet.

If you can't get them all...
At least get the Tapu Lele cards <3

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Finally! I watched vids on YouTube opening this one, including Prof. K's box. I observe that Golisopod will receive an errata because of the translation of Resolute Claws?

I love the set list, and I'll take care of the English Cards.

I am so Oddish-appointment because... no Lana!

Did you observe that Mareanie's atk changed than it's Jap translation or is it me?

Horsea I told you! 21 Secret Rares. Edit: It's now 24!.... Rhyperior Fainted

Last edited:

ProcInc

Aspiring Trainer
The 'Guardians' Theme decks feature Lunala and Solgaleo but the set has no Cosmog.

What does this mean?

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
Lol "Double Chicken Nuggets." Can't wait to get my hands on a Tapu Lele.

*Looks at walker longingly...*

My wallet is like an onion- it makes me cry

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think I saw Mareanie or Eevee in there... Shrug, I guess, maybe I'm just blind. That makes them unplayable in prerelease however which could be a bummer.
Hoping to pull a Turtonator-GX on Sunday for my Volcanion deck, really like this set.
EDIT: Also Tapu Lele-GX, but I mean, who doesn't want one? ...Or 16.
DOUBLE EDIT: Found Mareanie, isn't a Psychic type like Toxapex which is a bit odd. No Eevee could be because Sylveon-GX is from SM2+? I think? Correct me if I'm wrong.
RIP Collector's wallets though, bunch of SRs.
Also, isn't the US supposed to be getting the Lycanroc deckboxes? I really want them but don't want to pay a whole lot for shipping.

shadoworganoid

"Crimson Dance, Yugetsu!"
I haven't played the game in a long time. That said, I don't know what is considered good or bad currently.

But looking at these spoilers, pretty much all of the GX pokemon seem very strong. Specifically I'm looking at Vikavolt, Toxapex and Drampa seem really good.
Granted, again, most of them seem good. I want to play Kommo-o or maybe the Vikavolt. I dunno.

Basically, are any of the GX in this set NOT good? (and why)

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Man, two sets in a row with like two dozen secret rares. PCL and TPCi are determined to kill my interest as a collector, I guess.