Finished Mafia XL: Age of Piracy: Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this has been a slow game so far but I do have to wonder when Little Cherrim semi-claimed about that part with Elizabeth Swann, it wasn't brought up as much. Which should have been huge because even with that little bit it should have been obvious what role/character Little Cherrim had. Yeah, I know it's flavor, but I doubt scum would have the guts to collaborate on a lovers claim this early in the game. Optimally that should have given us a pair of town soft claims but I guess things don't always work out perfectly.

All I've got so far from 16 20-post pages of this game is that scattered is soft-cleared town, there are lots of newbies around which has led to multiple discussions on what is acceptable newbie town/scum meta, there are both useless and dangerous items floating around, and we've got no definite lead on scum so far since both lynches have been playstyle-based.

Now this has been a slow game so far but I do have to wonder when Little Cherrim semi-claimed about that part with Elizabeth Swann, it wasn't brought up as much. Which should have been huge because even with that little bit it should have been obvious what role/character Little Cherrim had. Yeah, I know it's flavor, but I doubt scum would have the guts to collaborate on a lovers claim this early in the game. Optimally that should have given us a pair of town soft claims but I guess things don't always work out perfectly.

All I've got so far from 16 20-post pages of this game is that scattered is soft-cleared town, there are lots of newbies around which has led to multiple discussions on what is acceptable newbie town/scum meta, there are both useless and dangerous items floating around, and we've got no definite lead on scum so far since both lynches have been playstyle-based.

What do you mean? There was only one discussion about new townie and new scum, and it is the current discussion that is about Jade's case. What do you think about it specifically? What do you think about the points about Jade? And if you think that we should not focus on them because they're new, then when is the point that we should look into new players, and how can we find out whether their behavior is scummy or not? From what you say, you seem to imply that the points on Jade are not a lead.

Some things that have caught my eye:
Cypher has been playing in a very non-committal make no enemies fashion. He passively supports lynches, without actually voting for them. That's a pretty large scumtell, when combined with the fact that most of his contribution has been figuring out vote weights and analyzing the ports (which I feel are completely random, and as much of a waste of time to analyze as flavor). Vom has also been doing this, though to a lesser degree.
Lorde is going a bit more crazy on her role-based conspiracy theories than normal, but it's not exactly a scumtell. It's just bad reasoning.
Vrac has also been less contributing/memorable in his posts than before. Once again, I'm not sure it that's a scumtell or just playing worse.

What do you mean? There was only one discussion about new townie and new scum, and it is the current discussion that is about Jade's case. What do you think about it specifically? What do you think about the points about Jade? And if you think that we should not focus on them because they're new, then when is the point that we should look into new players, and how can we find out whether their behavior is scummy or not? From what you say, you seem to imply that the points on Jade are not a lead.

I actually meant that multiple players have engaged in discussing about newbies, but eh if you want to specify semantics, that's up to you. And I'm pretty sure there's been talk on whether Little Cherrim was newbie or not earlier, which IMO fell in that category, but I suppose it doesn't fall under that in your opinion.

On the jade case, I'm eh about it. Previous new players that are quite young have done something similar, a standout example that comes to mind is PikaMasterJesi. And I sense his replies to be genuine confusion and there's no hint of coaching. I'm not saying we should not point out scummy newbies, it's just that I don't get the same scummy viewpoints you're getting on jade that's why I don't consider it a lead. It's not about because he's a newbie.

As for who is actually scummy IMO, I get some vibes from Vracken.

scattered #138 I agree with the sentiment, but I am 100% pro lynching someone inactive over someone who maybe is scum, but doesn't really have any evidence on them. I don't think you are scum atm but this could could easily be read as you protecting one of the inactive players who may be scum

I believe this has been discussed over and over in many of our previous games, but lynching inactives benefits scum. The likelihood that an inactive is town is higher because of the numbers. It's one less player the scum has to kill, who often prefer killing active contributors anyway. And even if the town gets lucky and lynches an inactive scum, there'd be no follow-up discussion to be had since they have no connections that can be picked up from the remaining players (this can also apply to them flipping town).

If I die tonight, there's an approximately 90% chance Keeper is scum. I can't say any more; you'll just have to trust me.
Now then, it should be Game Freeze (as I post this, there are 5 seconds left in the night), so let's see what happens.

I be extendin' the Night Phase 24 hours 5 hours since it be inconvenient any time soon to be processin' everythin'. Check this countdown for when Night now falls in yer timezone.

Oh, yeah, was going to say, @Jabberwock is at Regionals this weekend.

Last edited:
Drunk shouts filled the night in Fiddler’s Green. The crew had remained on land until the early morning hours, discussing the recent events between lively swigs of rum.​

Yet, in the rowdiness, a member of the East India Company slipped unnoticed into the cabin of their next victim. They silently plunged their silver dagger into the side of a certain member of the crew, one who had been a recent source of their misery. As the dying figure’s heartbeat faded, the murder smiled. He could save others, but he couldn’t save himself.

His true identity was later found to be:

You’re Joshamee Gibbs, and you’re aligned with The Motley Crew. You’re the trusty first mate, and your allegiance to Captain Jack has never wavered. Despite misgivings you’ve had about him in the past, you’re sure he’ll get you all out of it safely this time … probably.

Active Ability: Ship’s Doctor
You’ve only got a few jobs on this ship, as first mate. First and foremost, you get to yell at people. Only slightly less important is this: you’re the ship’s doctor. Each Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a player. You will be able to heal that player if they are attacked that Night, preventing their death if they were to die. You may not target the same player on consecutive Nights.

Win Condition: All threats to the Motley Crew are eliminated.

Day 3
Jack was distraught to find his trustworthy first mate as the East India Company’s latest victim. He vowed to avenge his friend, if it’s the last thing he does.

The mess room was solemn and tense that morning, as the gravity of the situation became real for much of the crew. Some were drowning themselves in rum, yet others had lost their appetite entirely. Some noticed another parchment lay on the table, on which words were written in a spidery hand:

LC's actions made no sense. What inspired this strange nondefense? May Day 3's madness commence.

Elizabeth Swann rose to give a few motivating words of her own, apparently had enough of her crew’s complete lack of motivation. She was successful in restoring common sense to the crew, making them realise they simply can’t just drown in their sorrow––or their rum. It was imperative that they found these imposters.

Day 3 has begun. Ye may now all speak in-thread. There are 11 of ye, so it be 6 votes to majority-lynch, barring any unf'reseen circumstances.

Additionally, ye may now vote for a port. To cast this type of vote, use @@PORT: XXX. Capitalization may be changed as ye like, but the syntax, includin' bolding, must stay.

On board the Black Pearl, the list of ports was still there, with one exception: the name of the port they had just anchored at now was missing.

Ye may cast yer vote for one of these ports.
  • Tortuga
  • Port Royal
  • Rumrunner's Isle
  • Singapore
  • Isla de Muerta
  • World's End
Day 3 will end on Thursday, April 13, at 10AM PST (-8). Use this countdown to find the time of the deadline in your own timezone.

Last edited:
@Jadethepokemontrainer - which players do you suspect to be scums? Which players do you have a feeling that they are town?

There really aren't any players that are ticking my scum radar right now. Reads on some players:

scattered mind: Very productive and helpful posts. Also was almost killed day 1. Town
NinjaPenguin: Active and has some productive/useful posts. Neutral/probably town
Keeper of Night: also very active and he shared that info about the last port, which was very useful. Town
Vracken: I felt weird about the pressuring inactives things, but that doesn't really mean they are scum. Neutral
DoS: Productive posts Town
I think mostly everyone else has just subbed in, and I need to wait a little while before I can say about them, but this is how I feel right now.

Also I expect the item passed back tonight.

“Be warned of the Singapore port. On the other side of the seas, their ways are strange; their investigations tend to be somethin’ completely unlike, and they do not be considerate of certain passive protection.”
So Singapore keeps us from protecting? Or just passive protection, I guess. Either way not good for us, so we have no reason to be headin' there.
But I guess if scum have some sort of protection this will be good to keep in mind later.

blakers #185 Post fact announcing beliefs. Mord wasn't dead at this point, but it does raise suspicions from the standpoint of "I knew all along he was town or indie or whatever" which is something only scum knows. I don't know how much weight that holds since it was backpedaled on and then was proven true. Really strange to me, comes across as scummy, but that is just me, let me know if you feel the same or different

ninjapenguin #192 Strange information announcement to me, not inherently aligned, but notable for later perhaps

ninjapenguin #193 that is assuming he is an indie, which at the time people thought, but were not 100% sure about

scattered #257 I can follow the logic on what he says about Lorde. I am not convinced, but she also hasn't done much so I haven't really looked too heavily into her

Ninjapenguin #274 Personally I am against policy lynches to teach people. I don’t think it works, and I expect it is more likely to lead to people just dropping from future games. Does anyone else want to have less mafia players?

keeper #280 This is weird, is there no point in continuing to discuss? Maybe look into someone else? For someone who has actually been active to turn around and decide that closing discussion is the right move is really strange to me especially because I was reading him as town.

Ok, so I looked into lordes posts and to be honest, most of them don't seem too useful to me in either being helpful to town, or being indicative of alignment. Her big one has some more wild speculation, but I think Lorde did a little of that last game, so I don't think it indicates alignment. The port analysis was ok, not too useful though as we just really don't know what they do yet. Otherwise she appears to be sheeping to me mostly in the earlier parts of the game, vote hopping between Mord and Cherrim (read twice) which is slightly scummy at least

I have felt like people have been tunneling a little hard to be honest. There was very little discussion on anyone other than little cherrim and mord other than from scattered mind. I can get why, nothing glaring out at me, but I am most wary of Blakers and Ninjapenguin at the moment. It felt like maybe they were defending one another a little too much (mainly blakers defending ninjapenguin) in #137. Blakers just felt more aggressive towards LC and defensive towards Ninjapenguin than I would expect. Did anyone else pick up on that? I am not sure about it, but that was what my gut was telling me when I read through it the first time
Next would be lorde, but honestly, this really isn't a lot to go off of, so she is still in neutral for me, just leaning slightly more to scum than town.

Who do you think we should lynch tomorrow? There's nobody I find particularly scummy right now (my main suspicions are on people that I think are blending in).
Care to open up on those suspicions? I don't feel like I have a lot to go off of, so anything else is fine by me.

Vrac has also been less contributing/memorable in his posts than before. Once again, I'm not sure it that's a scumtell or just playing worse.

Lower activity is due to exam period having started last week, so I have been busy with that. I also had to catch up so as not to be more of a hindrance which I just didn't have time for. I should pick up activity more after my last two exams, but now that I am caught up, hopefully I should return to my slightly higher quality posts. In the meantime I have been looking into somethings, though I feel none of them are particularly great at the moment, they are otherwise what makes up this post

I believe this has been discussed over and over in many of our previous games, but lynching inactives benefits scum. The likelihood that an inactive is town is higher because of the numbers. It's one less player the scum has to kill, who often prefer killing active contributors anyway. And even if the town gets lucky and lynches an inactive scum, there'd be no follow-up discussion to be had since they have no connections that can be picked up from the remaining players (this can also apply to them flipping town).

Fair enough, it has only been discussed in one game I played, and people were pro-lynching in-actives when no one appeared scum since it didn't really cost town as heavily as losing someone who was actively contributing. I should have paid more attention to the number of people on the wait list, but after I put myself on it, I tuned out, and just never really checked it as I wasn't expecting to be suddenly dropped in (I wasn't told I was joining until I was already subbed in).

This is weird, is there no point in continuing to discuss? Maybe look into someone else? For someone who has actually been active to turn around and decide that closing discussion is the right move is really strange to me especially because I was reading him as town.
You never line-up lynches in mafia. Town gain information on a day-by-day basis, where as it's scum that have most of their info available right away. Therefor lining up lynches unnecessarily is not a pro-town move.

Well, it seems like people have something against @Blakers that I haven't noticed yet. Still no one is willing to build a proper case. Can someone do that? with quotes and points on scummy things so we can have clear picture?

btw, @Jadethepokemontrainer - It's good that you give us your town reads, they are helpful. However, scum reads are much more helpful, and you didn't give any.

I will be celebrating Passover soon with my family, so I will not be very active today (irl today).

It's something role based. I wasn't killed, so that's gone. You're not 100% town, but you're not 100% anti-town and the chance of you being town is much higher.
Care to open up on those suspicions? I don't feel like I have a lot to go off of, so anything else is fine by me.
Some things that have caught my eye:
Cypher has been playing in a very non-committal make no enemies fashion. He passively supports lynches, without actually voting for them. That's a pretty large scumtell, when combined with the fact that most of his contribution has been figuring out vote weights and analyzing the ports (which I feel are completely random, and as much of a waste of time to analyze as flavor). Vom has also been doing this, though to a lesser degree.
Lorde is going a bit more crazy on her role-based conspiracy theories than normal, but it's not exactly a scumtell. It's just bad reasoning.
Elaborating on this post, I don't remember how Cypher plays, but I think it was different than this. RF is appearing as a townie to me, but he always appears that way and he's always scum.
P.S. I'm sending scattered an item tonight. Would you be willing to send it back?

blakers #185 Post fact announcing beliefs. Mord wasn't dead at this point, but it does raise suspicions from the standpoint of "I knew all along he was town or indie or whatever" which is something only scum knows. I don't know how much weight that holds since it was backpedaled on and then was proven true. Really strange to me, comes across as scummy, but that is just me, let me know if you feel the same or different
But he didn't flip Indie, he was Town. I had been insisting that he was indie, and that was based on research I did about the character he claimed to be, and the role's structure, but what I said wasn't right. And a bunch of other people said that they thought he was indie as well. I'm not really sure if that's what you meant, if I'm off the mark can you please explain further?

I have felt like people have been tunneling a little hard to be honest. There was very little discussion on anyone other than little cherrim and mord other than from scattered mind. I can get why, nothing glaring out at me, but I am most wary of Blakers and Ninjapenguin at the moment. It felt like maybe they were defending one another a little too much (mainly blakers defending ninjapenguin) in #137. Blakers just felt more aggressive towards LC and defensive towards Ninjapenguin than I would expect. Did anyone else pick up on that? I am not sure about it, but that was what my gut was telling me when I read through it the first time
Next would be lorde, but honestly, this really isn't a lot to go off of, so she is still in neutral for me, just leaning slightly more to scum than town.

Post #137's purpose was to put more pressure on LC. It was still Day 1, and I needed to see how he would respond. Although I'm not completely sure why you think I was overly defensive towards NP, all I said was that his vote weight might not actually be zero.

Just a note: The best thing we can have in order to progress and win the game, is if we have 2 cases each day (at least). If we have one case, we can only progress if the one to be lynched flips scum. However, it is when we have 2 cases that generally even if one flipped town, we can still have some interesting insights. Right now there is a case on Jade. Seems like only few people agree with the points against them. In that case, we are in a very bad situation. Look back at your scummiest player (no matter how little info you have on them) take all the quotes of them that you think are suspicious- point them out- explain a little what you think about them, and there you have a case that no matter what- contributes to the town to win. Even if you think you already know what the person you accusing will probably say- that is where you wrong- you'd be surprised by their reactions. And even if that person reacted in a good way-it's still helpful.

Just because there is no info about people roles does not mean you have nothing to talk about

##VOTE:Vracken

Blakers has a good point about that accusation of being overly defensive. Explain the case you have on Blakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back