Media Current Movies Discussion!

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Hey all! Let's talk about movies! I'm a huge movie fan, and I've seen tons and tons of them. I probably watch a movie every 2 days, whether I've seen it or not. Watching movies is definitely one of my favorite pass times, and I love talking about them, so here I am, talking about movies :)

What have you seen in the movie theater recently that you really enjoyed? Is there anything you've seen recently that you just couldn't stand? Anything you'd like to see, or anything you're thinking about, but aren't sure if you should? Well share it all here! I'll start:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
So one movie I've seen recently is 'Hidden Figures' which is based on the true story of three African-American women, Katherine G. Johnson, Dorothy Vaughn, and Mary Jackson and their experiences working at NASA during the 1960's Space Race.

The movie displays how they dealt with racism, sexism, and how these three women were some of the most important brains behind getting astronaut John Glenn into orbit, turning the tides of the Space Race. I enjoyed it very much, and if was definitely my favorite movie in a long time. I'd recommend this movie to anyone.

Another movie I've seen recently, this past weekend in fact, was 'The Lego Batman Movie', which focuses on the changes of Gotham City, and Batman having to work alongside others to thwart the Joker's evil plans of taking over Gotham City.

The movie demonstrated how cooperation could help solve any problem, and that working with others is the way to go. If you have a kid who enjoyed 'The Lego Movie', I think they'd enjoy this. However, I enjoyed 'The Lego Movie' and didn't enjoy this. They tried way too hard to make you laugh, and the whole thing was... fairly strange, and not in a good way. Batman was too funny, which I understand because this is a G rated film.

I also just don't understand how this film did so well with 90%+ ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and among Google Users. I just thought it was a bad film, but I guess I can understand why other people may think differently.

And one film I'm not sure if I want to see is 'Jackie'. It looks good, the reviews are good, and it's a film dawning on one of the most tragic moments in American History, told from the point of view of John F. Kennedy's own wife.

I've heard great things from friends who went to see it, but then one of my friends said it wasn't good. Should I watch it in theaters, not watch it, or wait until it releases on DVD?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any movies that have caught your eye, positive or negative as of late? Any of them you think I and/or other members of the community should see? Let me know in the comments below :D

Last edited:

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
Unfortunately my the main movie theater where I live cannot be entered due to earthquake damage, so the most recent movie I have seen in theaters is Rogue 1, which while I think it had the trappings of an excellent movie, I think wound up falling flat in the end. Only really a couple of characters were actually well written, and while it had some awesome scenes, I think it pandered a little to hard for my taste at times. All round I thought it was fine, but nothing amazing.

Beyond that, I have re-watched one of my two favourite movie of all time in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Not a movie for everyone, but it is truly a spectacle to behold, 10/10 recommend to all looking for a good comedy as it is easily my favourite, and though I might be biased, I think it is an excellent film. For sure it has the greatest fight scene of all time in the Black Knight.

I want to see Hidden Figures, I think it looks pretty interesting, though I don't know when I will be able to. I haven't seen Jackie, but I don't really have any intention of doing so, which means I unfortunately can't help you there Lorde.

Pride

May I kill him?
I also just don't understand how this film did so well with 90%+ ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and among Google Users. I just thought it was a bad film, but I guess I can understand why other people may think differently.

I think you're missing the point of it; its suppose to be satirical on the current state of Batman (dark, brooding, etc). But yeah, sometimes the comedy falls flat because virtually every line of the movie is a joke and it doesn't give the audience time to eat it up.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
I think you're missing the point of it; its suppose to be satirical on the current state of Batman (dark, brooding, etc). But yeah, sometimes the comedy falls flat because virtually every line of the movie is a joke and it doesn't give the audience time to eat it up.
Well I got that it was satire, I just didn't like it (granted I don't like really any Batman movie) because there was simply way too much of it :/ The whole movie was comedy based I get that, but having every line in the movie as basically a joke way over-saturated it, and didn't give the audience enough time to soak it all in.

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
Since 2017 started, I have been to the theatre a fair number of times, actually, compared to my usual movie habits.

I've seen:
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Excellent addition to the overall plot. 8/10]
  • A Dog's Purpose [My friends and I all cried. ;w; 8/10]
  • Rings [I'm fond of the series, and this was decent. Great cast. 6.5/10]
  • LEGO Batman [I'm quite fond of Batman, and this is definitely my favourite Batman film so far 10/10]
  • Get Out [Holy crap, this was fantastic. Great movie, and it raises many very poignant points about current society. 10/10]
Movies that I plan to see in 2017:
  • Logan
  • Kong: Skull Island
  • Life (maybe)
  • Power Rangers (I'm fully aware that it'll probably be terrible; I don't care)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Alien: Covenant
  • Baywatch (I have a soft spot for The Rock)
  • Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (Huge part of my childhood, shhh)
  • Wonder Woman
  • The Mummy (maybe)
  • Girls Trip (This looks friggin' hilarious)
  • The Dark Tower
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Kingsman: The Golden Circle
  • God Particle (part of the Cloverfield series)
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
(I may or may not have gone through the Coming Attractions for the next year for this list... Shhh)

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Since 2017 started, I have been to the theatre a fair number of times, actually, compared to my usual movie habits.

I've seen:
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Excellent addition to the overall plot. 8/10]
  • A Dog's Purpose [My friends and I all cried. ;w; 8/10]
  • Rings [I'm fond of the series, and this was decent. Great cast. 6.5/10]
  • LEGO Batman [I'm quite fond of Batman, and this is definitely my favourite Batman film so far 10/10]
  • Get Out [Holy crap, this was fantastic. Great movie, and it raises many very poignant points about current society. 10/10]
- So I have seen 'A Dog's Purpose' and I cried because it was such a warm and fuzzy kind of movie. Definitely a 9/10 from me.

- Also, lately, I saw 'Lala Land' and I was just not moved by it at all. I understand why it did so well with the academy, because it's of the actor's journey, but I just couldn't relate. None of the songs I liked, the story wasn't something I hadn't seen before, and I just overall thought it was... bland? I wish I could give it more, but 5/10 is all I can.

- I do actually really want to see 'Get Out' because it looks so good, and I love movies like it. It's received INCREDIBLE reviews.
- Planning on seeing 'Logan' as well. My mother went to see it, and she claims to have cried during the movie. If an X-Men Movie moved her, it has to be amazing.

Last edited:

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Well this hasn't been updated in a while.

- 'Get Out' was amazing. One of the most interesting and grabbing movies on the topic of racism I've ever seen. [10/10, Loved]
- 'Spider Man: Homecoming' was also great! The acting was great, the plot was interesting as well. It was a hysterically dorky movie, with ploy twists, love interests, and heart stopping moments. [9/10, Really Liked]

- 'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets' was so terrible. Way too much was crammed into the movie, and the more that was crammed, the more pointless and empty it felt. [5/10, Mehhh]

- 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle' looks really good! I loved the first one, and the trailer intrigued. This is a watch for me.

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
yes, you are reviving this wooooo

I watched Get Out a few weeks ago, and while I did think it was pretty solid, I got off on the wrong station of the Hype train. It was too hyped in my opinion. They did well setting some things up, though as always there are questionable parts of horror movies like this that never cease to break my immersion. Regardless, significant plot details were spoiled for me, so I didn't end up enjoying it as much as I possibly could have.

Spiderman Homecoming was great. An enjoyable watch, not as good as some of the other Marvel Big Hitters, but still a solid watch, with a villain that I think was criminally underrated. Still annoys me that Peter Parkers in recent movies had moved furtheraway from the Peter way I associate him, but this version was a solid step back towards the bullied (even if the bully was probably the worst character in the movie), awkward, and strange kid. Furthermore, there were some great scenes in general in the movie. Recomended for anyone who wants to watch a fun movie.

Didn't watch Valerian, hadn't even heard of it tbh

Kingsman 1 was an awesome movie, though with some light nsfw jokes (mostly fine regardless) I look forward to seeing it sometime soon as its predecessor was an excellently written fun movie.

I also watched a Korean Horror film called The Train To Busan, and it was glorious. There were some interesting characters, and it is all round an enjoyable movie, though with some pretty stock standard horror tropes. It is subbed so that may turn some people off.

Are there any other movies you are planning on watching any time soon lorde?

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Thor: Ragnarok and The Emoji Movie are other things I plan to watch. The trailer for Thor's new movie raised many, many many questions. The villain, why he's basically a fighter in the stadium, how df did a hulk get there, etc. The Emoji movie looks dumb and the critics will probably have a field day, but it looks like it could be comedic.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Oh, also, since it's really fresh in my mind.

---
Went to go see 'Dunkirk', thinking it was going to be an amazing retelling of the battle of Dunkirk. What a disappointment. There were a lot of problems with this movie that really held it back:

First off, they did basically nothing to make you give a crap about any of the characters. You don't know anything about them. I barely knew half their names when it was over. Second, I am absolutely AMAZED that this movie simultaneously put me to sleep, while destroying my eardrums. If you are like and have sensitive hearing (the kind where you hear better than the average person) then you should steer clear of this movie. I'm still having trouble hearing from my right ear. Lastly, the movie is very good at confusing you. It'll have multiple angles or perspective, which leaves you confused for the first half of the movie before you figure out they're time skipping.

Little dialogue, confusing plot, the failure at instilling fear all made me feel like this movie is being sorely overrated. [4/10, Not Liked]

---

Seriously, I went into the movie thinking it I'd be writing up a review in green right now, but I just cannot after actually watching it.

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
Ah yes, I had forgotten about this. So a couple weeks ago, I went on a date, and we went and saw the new Transformers movie.

She suggested it, because she wanted to see just how terrible it was. And explosions.

It certainly delivered in both of those aspects.

Nebby Baggington

Bag Dweller
So.... I saw the Emoji Movie.

BEFORE THE MOVIE

I didn't go into this movie with any high hopes. I remember being in the theater and seeing the first trailer for this, and I leaned over to my friend and said: "I will never see that garbage. EVER" (Boy, was I wrong!)

Flash forward to about a week after the movie came out. I had to take an algebra test. So I did. When I got there, I sat in my chair, and starting typing numbers! So about ten minutes in, the door opens, and another person walks in to take the test. So then I realize. "OH WOW! MY FRIEND [name redacted] I HAVEN'T SEEN HIM IN TWO MONTHS!" (except I didn't say it out loud because I didn't want my test voided)

So after the test, I start talking to this one friend, and we agree to see a movie on Saturday. Originally we were going to see Baby Driver.... but boy, did that change!

So Saturday comes, and we show up to the theater, we grab our snacks and tickets, and we take our seat in the mostly empty theater. For a week old movie, it's kind of depressing the theater only had a total of 6 people in it, (6 is conveniently also the percentile The Emoji Movie is currently ranked on Rotten Tomatoes). Also depressing, is that the Hotel Transylvania short shown before the movie was better than the main feature. A short with Adam Sandler in it is superior to the movie I paid to see.

CHARACTERS

I've seen many movies... So I'm bound to see movies with forgettable characters, like Coin Heist, all the Transformers movies, every video game movie, etc. But this movie... UGGGGGGGGHHHHH.

Let's start with the main character, Jean. Jean is a "meh" emoji, but he actually has multiple expressions. Then he wants to me a meh emoji, then he doesn't. That's about it

Then there's High Five. He's annoying and stupid. That's about it.

Then there's Jailbreak. A Princess Emoji who doesn't want to be a Princess Emoji. Then she goes back to being a princess emoji. That's about it.

See the problem here? NONE OF THESE CHARACTERS ARE INTERESTING

PLOT

Remember the Lego Movie? Just a worse version of that. I have one question though. *SPOILER ALERT BY THE WAY* If the movie is about being who you want to be, why does Jailbreak, an emoji that clearly states it doesn't wanna be a princess emoji, go back to being a princess emoji in the end?

CONCLUSION

This movie is bad. If you REALLY want to see it, just wait until it ends up on Netflix or something, because it will. The movie couldn't even make back half its budget in its first week. I'm willing to be it gets pulled from theaters, too. I was laughing the entire movie... not at the movie, but at the comments my friend and I were making. Overall....

meh

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Went to see this this afternoon:

---
I went to see 'An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power' and was greatly moved. If you haven't seen 'An Inconvenient Truth', Al Gore's first documentary, you don't need to see it to understand this one.

Something I think was great about this documentary was it focused heavily on the Paris Accords, as well as what's happened since 2006 when 'An Inconvenient Truth' was released. It displayed towns across the world that are 100% renewable energy, how natural disasters have grown worse in the last decade, etc. It's pretty hard to explain, since it had multiple focuses. You DEFINITELY should watch it though. It's powerful, moving, and instills a sense of responsibility for your planet once it's all said and done. I read the ratings on it, and wasn't expecting what I saw when I went to see it this afternoon. [9/10, Really Liked]

---

Highly recommended to literally anyone. If you have a spare afternoon then get out the house and watch this.

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
So, I've got a few movies to add to this. Since my last post, I've seen Despicable Me 3 (with my mom and aunt), Baby Driver, and the Netflix Original Death Note movie.

Despicable Me 3 was cute. Good for a kid's movie. Not much to say about it, really.

Baby Driver, which I saw yesterday night, was incredible. Beyond incredible, even. The opening scene alone was worth the price of admission. The soundtrack was incredible, the plot was fairly simple, but very solid, and the writing was superb. I found the main character, Baby, to be rather relatable in some aspects, too, which is a nice bonus.

Netflix's Death Note was... Well, here are some words that I posted on Facebook:
The Death Note movie was... Interesting. I have some words about it.

From a technical standpoint, it was a well made film. The casting was good, the atmosphere was fairly accurate, and it was visually pleasing. If you had no prior knowledge of the series, it's a pretty decent movie.

From a fan of the original work's standpoint, it was... Eh. It was... I don't want to say faithful, but it did at least resemble the first part of the original series. Then it took an entirely unique path, which, sure, whatever. Unfortunately, the path it took lead to major mischaracterization.

Good things: L was actually very well done. Most of his idiosyncrasies were left intact. Willem Dafoe was actually fantastic as Ryuk. He has the perfect voice. The only thing better than the original series, in my opinion. I also liked Watari's look. Light's father was very well done, too. Resembles the original more than Light does.

Not so good things: Light. He just didn't feel right. The acting was good from a technical standpoint, but the portrayal just doesn't feel right. Mia (Misa) was alright. It felt a bit forced, compared to the original, but considering they made this a standalone, I can kinda see why?

Bad things: I really didn't like how the last half hour of the movie played out, honestly. It felt too convenient.

Nebby Baggington

Bag Dweller
Hi! I saw the new It movie! Rated R for review! (If this review seems rushed, that's because it is since I have school tomorrow)

BEFORE THE MOVIE

I had never read the book so my expectations were set on: Yay! SCAWY MOVIEEEEE!

CHARACTERS

A bunch of kids and a clown, that's about it. There's the kid who freaks out, the hot girl, the comic relief, some dude with a stutter, a fat kid, and there were probably more but most of them were just background characters, or at least they felt like it.

PLOT

Plot-kids try and kill clown. Also clown tries to kill kids.

CONCLUSION

In conclusion, this movie failed on all levels to scare me. I wouldn't even classify it as horror. It honestly felt more like a comedy about kids trying to kill a clown. But I still really liked it, anyway, because it was a very well made movie. The only problem is that for a scary movie it didn't really do much to scare me. The scariest part is that I'm going to have to pay more money for whenever the sequel comes out. The only thing within the movie that scared me is when a bunch of blood came gushing out of a sink. And that's only because of my fear of blood. Don't make fun of me. I almost feel that they added the comic relief dude (Richie I think?) in, then the execs went: "Make him make more jokes about.... a certain part of the male body". And then they did that. I'm just saying, though, you know you failed to make something scary when there were people who looked much younger than me (I'm 13, there were small children in the theater, I wonder what was going through these parent's minds, oh but wait: It wasn't scary!) who were laughing the whole time because the fat kid was falling and stuff, and the fat mom was screaming and stuff. Overall: 9/10 movie, best comedy of the year.

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
Two new movies to add! :D

Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Fantastic movie, except for one plot device that's used that is... Extremely uncomfortable and unnecessary. I'll avoid mentioning it, due to spoilers as well as it not being appropriate for the site. That aside, though, it was quite entertaining, and the fight scenes were top notch. There's also a celebrity who I initially thought was a cameo, who turned out to have a full supporting role, and nailed it. Like, best part about the movie.

Blade Runner 2049 (and by extension, the anime short film Blade Runner 2022 Black Out, which is a tie-in). I had very high hopes for this, as I'm rather fond of the original, as well as other media based on Phillip K. Dick's novels, and I was the exact opposite of disappointed. The pacing was incredible, and it didn't feel like a nearly three hour movie (well, it did to my bladder, but that's another story), and it also didn't feel rushed. The build up of the main character was amazing, and the return of Rick Deckard was superb. Honestly, one of the best roles I've ever seen Harrison Ford in. Ever. Honestly, the only complaint I have about the movie is Jared Leto's acting, but I don't care for him to begin with, so I may be biased?

Next movie will likely be Murder on the Orient Express. It might be the new Pokémon movie, though. Depends on my work schedule.

Nebby Baggington

Bag Dweller
On Saturday I went and saw My Little Pony.... and as a bonus, the first paragraph is going to be the story of how I ended up there! Also, I'm not a My Little Pony fan, so if you truly enjoyed this movie I'm glad you could like something I despise :)

So I was at league, and not a single person showed up. No Pokemon players at all. So I was stuck there for two hours without anything to do but talk to the yu gi oh players. So I did that for a bit, but then I got bored, so I decided, "you know what? Time to text my friend." So I pull out my phone and the first thing I see is a text from my friend asking me if I wanted to hang out, followed by him asking me to see a movie with him. See, I'm in the middle spot of "I've seen every movie I want to, and the other movies I want to see don't came out until later", so I respond with the joke answer of "My Little Pony", we continued the conversation for a little bit, and I give him specific answers to his questions. Then he responded "Alright, I bought a ticket". You can see how it didn't work out well.

BEFORE THE MOVIE

I'm not a My Little Pony fan so my expectations were set lower than my self esteem

CHARACTERS

I honestly don't remember most of them, but I'll try.

Twilight (I think): She's the princess of friendship and um.... the main character I think?
Rainbow Dash: The fast one whose voice gets on my nerves.... Actually you know what, all of their voice get on my nerves, but especially Rainbow Dash
Applejack: The country one.
Pinkie Pie (?): More annoying than the six year old girls at my league.
I'm fairly certain there were two more but what does that matter
Also the main bad dudes are:
Storm King: He's kinda just there and doesn't serve much of a role
Tempest: Basically Storm King's minion
Also there was a cat, but he was kinda just... there at the beginning and end.

PLOT

Storm King makes Tempest show up and freeze all the princesses but then Twilight escapes with the rest of the ponies, and then friendship, and... I'm gonna be honest, the plot was so basic as "Go here, get that, come back". I didn't enjoy it. Hell, I barely paid attention to it since it was just an excuse for these ponies to be all happy and love each other.

CONCLUSION

I didn't like this movie, for multiple reasons:
1. Because of my anxiety around crowds, I thought it would be a god idea to see the movie at the latest showing possible... around 10:15.... shoutouts to the parents who brought their children to the 10:15 showing and ended up putting their kids right next to me.... I ended up moving halfway through the movie. I don't care if it makes me look rude, I'd rather not have screaming children next to me.

2. I thought it would be a good idea to drink a large sweet tea before coming, then drink a large icee and soda while there.... Didn't really work out.

3. It was really bad. The plot, music, characters, all of it just got on my nerves and I really wanted to just walk out of it. It wasn't as bad as The Emoji Movie, but still.... I could barley handle the voices. I normally have trouble hearing would people are saying, but I was hearing these ponies just fine because of *HOW LOUD THEY ARE* (ffs their voice are squeakier than mine)

Overall I regret not staying home and playing video games all night.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Hey, I went to see 'Thor: Ragnarok' and it was really good. Comedic, interesting plot, and really good way to spend a Friday off.

What I liked about the movie was it was better than The Dark World that it had a really unpredictable plot. I actually thought I was going to go into it already knowing how it ended, but that was not the case. Going more into detail would spoil the movie so I'll refrain, but you should watch it if you haven't already [9/10, Really Liked].