Discussion The Problem with Choice Band (TCG)

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
There are a few things wrong here. The first is the cards adaptation from the game to the TCG. For those who don't know what the game version of this card does, it doubles the attack of a Pokemon, but makes it to where you can only use one attack on that Pokemon as long as it's in battle. Back in the day, there was a card called Mary's Request which said;

Draw a card. If you don't have any Stage 2 Evolved Pokémon in play, draw 2 more cards.

This was a great card... At least for my deck. I played Legendary Birds ex and didn't use any stage 2 Pokemon. To put this into perspective, Stage 2 Pokemon were everywhere and the draw support there was TV Reporter. For a deck like mine, I got a "draw 3" effect without the drawback of discarding a card. Life was great but it was balance. How does Choice Band fit into this? Well, they had an opportunity to make the card unique. The game is going to get slower ( I guess) but damage is as high as ever though the damage isn't the problem. The problem is the card can be used on anything with no real restriction. Like Mary's Request, it gave the game a unique card for those who played something other that 150HP Stage 2 ex Pokemon. What Choice Band should have done was give advantage to a player who didn't have EX or GX Pokemon in play. The effect should read as;

Choice Band – Trainer
Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

The Pokemon this card is attached to does 30 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon-EX or Active Pokemon-GX. If you have any Pokemon-EX or Pokemon-GX in play, you can't play this card. If this card is attached to a Pokemon and a Pokemon-EX or Pokemon-GX is put into play, discard this card.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

The card is instantly not that great anymore but still gives the deck that isn't using any 2-Prize Pokemon a bit of advantage since single Prize Pokemon are less powerful. We now have balance but this isn't the problem. The biggest problem here is the fact the card referenced Pokemon-EX. A card game, when introducing new mechanic should never older mechanic if it plans on phasing them out. This is worrying because S/M cards could be designed to interact with the poorly design B/W and XY cards, which means unhealthy effects could bleed over into the new format, which taints it should a harsh a rotation happen.

Part of the problem is the fact that the Expanded format exist. I know many of you know I hate this format at its simply because of the fact no new concepts are made and I can't see why it exist except for the sake of money. Saltiness aside, the Expanded format existing could cause some unhealthy cards to be made. I personally don't think S/M is compatible with Expanded simply because of how the set appears to be designed.

I'm worried that this kind of card design will carry over into the later sets of S/M. There isn't anything wrong with this, considering other card games do it but their mechanics don't change and if they do, it doesn't affect normal play like they do in Pokemon.

I want to know what you all think about this card. Clearly its a really good card, I just think its unhealthy.

It's because SM and XY are going to be legal--in Standard--at the same time, and for no other reason than that.

It's because SM and XY are going to be legal--in Standard--at the same time, and for no other reason than that.
I know but it really seems like nothing will really change if they are designing cards to fight the XY cards and assuming if any future rotation isn't Evolutions-On means more Sun and Moon sets will be made and these unhealthy card interactions could affect how cards designed for a slower meta are made.

They aren't being designed to combat XY. It's literally just because they're able to be used in the same format. When the XY sets rotate, it'll just be for expanded and people still won't have any questions about whether or not band works on Pokémon-EX in expanded because you can just tell them RTFC instead of going, "gosh I dunno, better call a judge."

If anything from sm1 breaks expanded, TPCI will react accordingly. But don't think that they are making these cards specifically to work in expanded.

They aren't being designed to combat XY. It's literally just because they're able to be used in the same format. When the XY sets rotate, it'll just be for expanded and people still won't have any questions about whether or not band works on Pokémon-EX in expanded because you can just tell them RTFC instead of going, "gosh I dunno, better call a judge."

If anything from sm1 breaks expanded, TPCI will react accordingly. But don't think that they are making these cards specifically to work in expanded.

That is true but what I was getting at is assuming the next rotation would be BREAK-On, we still could have another 2 years of XY sets in a format printing SM cards and since big basics are still good (including reprinted EX promos), these will still be used, which forces designed to do something about it. These designs could find their way into SM cards assuming XY remains in Standard for another 2 years.

These designs could find their way into SM cards assuming XY remains in Standard for another 2 years.

Okay. And? What's wrong with that? They're going to be legal in Standard together. There is nothing wrong with adding a clause to the card to balance something, especially since Pokemon-EX have dominated the format ever since their inception. The clause is almost necessary because you can bet your ass that people would be attaching this thing to Pokemon-EX if they could.

Also I've been told your translation is wrong and there is nothing stopping Pokemon-EX or -GX from using it

doesn't change my point though.

Also I've been told your translation is wrong and there is nothing stopping Pokemon-EX or -GX from using it

doesn't change my point though.

He was saying what he would prefer that the effect be, not the real translation. (I think.)

But in my opinion, it shouldn't be able to be attached to Basics instead, as it's all the Big Basics that are "ruining" the format. Evolved GX Pokemon require at least a little bit of setup.

Oh. Yeah, you're right. That's what I get for skimming the post lol

We talked about it briefly in the chat room and I'm of the mind that they're giving Pokemon-EX an alternative to Fighting Fury Belt. Sure, they'll be hitting harder, but they'll also be much easier to kill. I still don't think that this is a bad card.

Why, in your translation, do you prevent GX pokemon from using the Choice Band? What cards do you actually think is going to rid the format of the big basics? It is going to be "bigger evolved." If you want to finish the conquest of the metagame, this would have to be for non-EX (GX is not EX - yay.) That would put them over the edge. Trust me, Passimian and dragonite decks are not going to push M Mewtwo out of the meta. Solgaleo-GX would.

Why, in your translation, do you prevent GX pokemon from using the Choice Band? What cards do you actually think is going to rid the format of the big basics? It is going to be "bigger evolved." If you want to finish the conquest of the metagame, this would have to be for non-EX (GX is not EX - yay.) That would put them over the edge. Trust me, Passimian and dragonite decks are not going to push M Mewtwo out of the meta. Solgaleo-GX would.

The goal is to not make big Pokemon bigger. Silver Bangle made non EX Pokemon able to hit harder but that was ruined because they made non EX Pokemon hit like they were EX. It's just a balance thing.

Back