News Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina, Guardian Pokemon, Battle Tree, and More!

I'm seriously baffled as I'm reading through the comments. Can't understand how people can be excited about this.. The starters are okay at best... Not to start about the Alolan Persian,, how could they screw up such a cool Pokemon...

Was going to buy the game, but after this trailer I'm having serious doubts... It's really hard to justify to myself having some of those ugly-*ss Pokemon in my team...

I appreciate Incineroar and Decidueye a lot more knowing they're based on a famous Japanese professional wrestler (Tiger Mask) and an extinct owl that lived on the Hawaiian islands and hunted on foot (Grallistrix, or stilt-owls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilt-owl).

We can talk about totally upright biped designs and sausage fingers and everything, but there's no denying they're inspired ideas. Game Freak doesn't do things arbitrarily.

Last edited:
I noticed something awesome lol that just like the X and Y starters, the Sun and Moon starters both their types are super strong against the two types of the weaker one.
Example: FIre starter(dont like final form) is fire and dark fire isstrong against grass and dark is strong against ghost(comparing with the grass final). just like how greninja(water/dark) is stronger than delphox(fire/psychic)

Also does pokemon have some addiction to making 4 legged fire starters into 2 legged in the final evolution.example-Tepig,fennekin and now litten....sigh

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope we'll also see some cards in the TCG of the starters' Secondary Types, they're all different even then! Could eventually tempt me back into faking...

Yeah that'd be nice. Like when we got the secondary typings for Torterra, Infernape and Empoleon.

Then again, we're still waiting for the alternate types for Emboar, Chesnaught and Delphox, so you never know.

Rowlet changing typing is something nobody ever expected. It's like a sudden slap to the face, but it's a good slap to the face, if that makes sense. I think that almost makes me want to choose Rowlet, but....

Incineroar is such a cool looking Pokemon, and I'm tied between it and Decidueye. Primarina is...ok, just not my cup of tea.

I really like all the Tapu's, with Tapu Bulu being my favorite. It shows that not all grass types are like, moss covered objects. The Z-Move looks absolutely stunning as well.

I noticed something awesome lol that just like the X and Y starters, the Sun and Moon starters both their types are super strong against the two types of the weaker one.
Example: FIre starter(dont like final form) is fire and dark fire isstrong against grass and dark is strong against ghost(comparing with the grass final). just like how greninja(water/dark) is stronger than delphox(fire/psychic)

Also does pokemon have some addiction to making 4 legged fire starters into 2 legged in the final evolution.example-Tepig,fennekin and now litten....sigh

I think this confirms a slight matchup change. The circle wouldn't make sense unless Fairy was changed to be weak to Ghost, which would be overall both healthy for overall balance and even more of a buff to Gengar. Every gen seems to buff it (elemental punches as TMs, more new moves, special Ghost moves, more powerful Poison moves, Mega Evolution), so this wouldn't be a stretch.

I think this confirms a slight matchup change. The circle wouldn't make sense unless Fairy was changed to be weak to Ghost, which would be overall both healthy for overall balance and even more of a buff to Gengar. Every gen seems to buff it (elemental punches as TMs, more new moves, special Ghost moves, more powerful Poison moves, Mega Evolution), so this wouldn't be a stretch.
Meh... I hope not. Fairy desperately needs a good nerf, but boosting Ghost (and Gengar too, who really doesn't need any more help) isn't what I personally had in mind.

There's always some imbalance to these secondary triangle theories, because Grass/Fire/Water is the only true type triangle in the game.

It's just like the Gen VI starters: Dark is actually immune to Psychic, but Psychic is not immune to Fighting, and Fighting is not immune to Dark. That's not fair, Greninja has an advantage! you might say.

I'm not in favour of them changing type matchups again after they just did it last gen. But Fairy sure does need a nerf. Maybe Ghost could just get a Fairy resistance. And then lose its stupid Bug resistance.

Incineroar is disgusting. The only good thing about it is it isn't fire/fighting. I already didn't like Litten and desperately hoped that the concept art was fake. It's design is incredibly bad, it feels like Cat Emboar that creeps into the uncanny valley, the mouth looks off and it just fails to get anything right.

Yeah, you and me both. But they got the other two right, so that's a step forward right?!

Can't wait to send out Decidueye as my last Pokemon, and then play Merry Men on my stereo as loud as possible, while claiming victory with an arrow move!

Last edited:
I'm seriously baffled as I'm reading through the comments. Can't understand how people can be excited about this..

It's called having an opinion, not everyone will like the same things. Period.
I personally love Decidueye's and Primarina's designs and I'm slowly getting used to Incineroar.
Alolan Persian is too goofy for me but it actually makes sense. Would like it to have more fur though, like the true Persian breed (I might be biased since I have a black Turkish Angora cat <3 ). ^^'

Last edited:
There's always some imbalance to these secondary triangle theories, because Grass/Fire/Water is the only true type triangle in the game.

It's just like the Gen VI starters: Dark is actually immune to Psychic, but Psychic is not immune to Fighting, and Fighting is not immune to Dark. That's not fair, Greninja has an advantage! you might say.

I'm not in favour of them changing type matchups again after they just did it last gen. But Fairy sure does need a nerf. Maybe Ghost could just get a Fairy resistance. And then lose its stupid Bug resistance.
Yes, but Psychic/Fighting/Dark is a true triangle, with each member having a strength and a weakness. This triangle would have one side missing, and thus cease to be a triangle. Fairy really does need a nerf, just like Dragon did and Fairy made happen. Besides, Gengar just keeps getting stronger with every generation (only one to be OU for the series's entire existence), and making it even more of a Fairy counter thsn it already is wouldn't hurt, right?

Last edited:
Besides, Gengar just keeps getting stronger with every generation (only one to be OU for the series's entire existence), and making it even more of a Fairy counter thsn it already is wouldn't hurt, right?
It would if Ghost-type is the only type GameFreak changes to balance Fairy-types (like how only Steel-type saw any changes last generation) and how there are better ways of balancing the type chart than making an already good type even more powerful (like, you know, boosting weaker types).

SkyeVictini said:
Thank Arceus in the Hall of Origin that Inciniroar is not a Fighting type! You have no idea how relived I am!

I didn't read any new post after the mine one, so maybe someone already spoked about it, but: It couldn't be Fighting at all… just imagine, how unbalaced it would be, if they gave it a Fighting type:
It would be not only weak to both part (types) of Primarina (if I'm not mistaken, Fighting is weak to Fairy?), but also it could be totally useless against Decidueye, if it gained some of Fighting type attacks, because with the Ghost part Decidueye would be (and actulally IS) immune to Fighting attacks. It is only logical that Incineroar got the Dark typing and if anyone of you was worried about another Fire/Fighting starter, it was unnecessary.
Still, if they have to give starters another typing, I'd reverted it, to actually make them more balaced. I mean:
Grass/Fighting, Fire/Fairy and Water/Ghost
Grass is weak to Fire but Fighting is immune to Ghost… the same for the rest. I mean, the starters would have one advantage and one diadvatage against each other if you understand me (and I'm sure you understand)…

25 more days until it finally comes to Europe… it's way too long. I almost can't stand it. i whis I wake up tomorrow and it'd be actually already November 23.

It would if Ghost-type is the only type GameFreak changes to balance Fairy-types (like how only Steel-type saw any changes last generation) and how there are better ways of balancing the type chart than making an already good type even more powerful (like, you know, boosting weaker types).

Ghost is actually a pretty mediocre type. It only hits 2 types for super-effective damage (one of them being itself), doesn't have many resistances, and does not have a single really strong attack (Shadow Force is the strongest one, and is Giratina-exclusive). Gengar isn't good because of its typing; it's good because of its really high stats and large movepool. Outside of Gengar, you'd be hard pressed to find another competitively useful Ghost (Aegislash, Mega Sableye, end list). Underpowered type, overpowered type in a position to be countered by it.

I didn't read any new post after the mine one, so maybe someone already spoked about it, but: It couldn't be Fighting at all… just imagine, how unbalaced it would be, if they gave it a Fighting type:
It would be not only weak to both part (types) of Primarina (if I'm not mistaken, Fighting is weak to Fairy?), but also it could be totally useless against Decidueye, if it gained some of Fighting type attacks, because with the Ghost part Decidueye would be (and actulally IS) immune to Fighting attacks. It is only logical that Incineroar got the Dark typing and if anyone of you was worried about another Fire/Fighting starter, it was unnecessary.
Still, if they have to give starters another typing, I'd reverted it, to actually make them more balaced. I mean:
Grass/Fighting, Fire/Fairy and Water/Ghost
Grass is weak to Fire but Fighting is immune to Ghost… the same for the rest. I mean, the starters would have one advantage and one diadvatage against each other if you understand me (and I'm sure you understand)…

Whilst you are correct that Fairy is SE on Fighting, in this case of a hypothetical Fire/Fighting Incineroar, it wouldn't actually be weak against Fairy since due to Fire resisting it (similarly to Incineroar's actual Fire/Dark typing)
In all honesty I kinda think that starter secondary type trios aren't always gonna have type matchups that seem fair or balanced - look at Gen 4, with Empoleon being weak to both of the other two's secondary STAB and only hitting one super effectively, whilst Torterra and Infernape can hit the other two with SE moves.
Even gen 3 - Swampert gaining a Ground type, effectively doubling its weakness to Sceptile's Grass type.
It would be nice to see a fully realised secondary type triangle but at this point is it actually a possibility? I know that the amount of triangles which work in the Grass/Fire/Water way isn't a big list already but surely there can't be one which would actually fit perfectly in there... is there? (i really do not know correct me if i'm wrong)

Whilst you are correct that Fairy is SE on Fighting, in this case of a hypothetical Fire/Fighting Incineroar, it wouldn't actually be weak against Fairy since due to Fire resisting it (similarly to Incineroar's actual Fire/Dark typing)
In all honesty I kinda think that starter secondary type trios aren't always gonna have type matchups that seem fair or balanced - look at Gen 4, with Empoleon being weak to both of the other two's secondary STAB and only hitting one super effectively, whilst Torterra and Infernape can hit the other two with SE moves.
Even gen 3 - Swampert gaining a Ground type, effectively doubling its weakness to Sceptile's Grass type.
It would be nice to see a fully realised secondary type triangle but at this point is it actually a possibility? I know that the amount of triangles which work in the Grass/Fire/Water way isn't a big list already but surely there can't be one which would actually fit perfectly in there... is there? (i really do not know correct me if i'm wrong)
To answer your question: Ice, Fire, and Ground makes another triangle. So does Electric/Water/Ground, as well as Poison/Grass/Ground, and Fighting/Rock/Flying. I just hope we get a complete trisngle this time around.

Why? why is a perfect triangle so important?

The starters' secondary types don't matter until well advanced the game, and even when the starters get their first secondary type moves (which don't get STAB in the first and second stages) and could maybe pose a threat to other starters that are weak/defend themselves against starters that would be ineffective, you've already caught many pokemon capable of taking that load from them.

Balancing the typing on a microcosms of three discrete individuals would make sense if every rival battle forced a 1-versus-1 starter-exclusive fight, but they don't; you can withdraw your pokemon at any time, and as such, it's pointless.
Even the grass-fire-water triangle happens more out of tradition than because it makes any practical sense, especially now that rivals and friends have started to extend beyond the "picks the stronger starter" model.

But there is no such tradition to secondary typings, so not even that is a good motive in this case; starters usually have non-elemental types (like psychic, ghost and fighting) as secondary type, and many of those types are in a microcosms of their own; they have meaningful interactions mostly with each other, while the elemental types do the same for their group. The semblance of a matchup-based heuristic on the starters' second types is that, only a semblance; there is no intention of making a balanced group, just to go along higher design guidelines like the RPG trio in XY.

Not to mention that it's likely that one or more of the main types will have interactions with the secondary types, making the effort for "balancing" what doesn't require balance even more unbalanced than before. You'd be stuck with very few possible combinations (if any) wherein a given secondary type is completely neutral offensively and defensively on the two types that the pokemon doesn't have, and even if you got one, which seems unlikely, it could never change, if "balance" is what you want (and again, seeking that balance is pointless).

Looks like I'll be picking Rowlet and Popplio instead of Litten. Not a fan of his final evolution.

Also these aren't the final names of the Pokemon are they?

Back