News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

pokemonfan20

Aspiring Trainer
It would be more helpful if Pokebeach included more details about events like these (or links to the advertised events). I was super excited about the event, showed up at my local Toys ‘R Us at store opening only to be told the event started at 2. I came back to the store an hour early and was the first one in line. Unfortunately, because I am an adult collector, I did not receive the Pikachu figure. All of the official wording says that a toy will go to the first 50 attendees. At least I got the Charmander card.

Dino.Collector

@Primal.Army General- Gold Star & Gen 3 Collector
The Album we received in Lansing says this event will be November 20th. So there must be multiple dates.
My booklet says November 20th as well.
It would be more helpful if Pokebeach included more details about events like these (or links to the advertised events). I was super excited about the event, showed up at my local Toys ‘R Us at store opening only to be told the event started at 2. I came back to the store an hour early and was the first one in line. Unfortunately, because I am an adult collector, I did not receive the Pikachu figure. All of the official wording says that a toy will go to the first 50 attendees. At least I got the Charmander card.
I agree. This happened to me on the date of the first Pokemon event this year at Toys R Us. Also, I've heard if you ask store management they'll usually give you the figure to keep their customers happy.

My Toys R Us didn't even have the Pikachu figures. The figures "never came in."

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Anyone know how big those collector albums were? I missed out on one today and wanted to know what they looked like/how many cards they held.

benaji

Aspiring Trainer
Anyone know how big those collector albums were? I missed out on one today and wanted to know what they looked like/how many cards they held.
It was about 8 pages, cheap catalog paper, with adds for Pokémon products and some bad really bad slots to hold your charizard and mega charizard. I wouldnt trust it with my commons so you didn't miss out unless you wanted it for completions sake.

My toys r us gave the first 50 people in line tickets worth a pikachu. I got mine!

I heard another person's toys r us on Facebook let all 25 kids be at the start of the line. to get pika and a bunch of other adults gave theit pika to kids after.

MeijiHawkeye

Aspiring Trainer
I went to the Charmander event yesterday. I'm slowly building a collection for my son who will someday soon be old enough to play pokemon.

Toys'R'Us manager was kind of a jerk. He was only giving folders and Charmander promos to small children, and claimed things could only be given to people under the age of 10. I told him it was for my son and he told me, "Sure" acted like he didn't believe me then skipped to the next person.

I'd feel bad but he also wouldn't give anything to the 12 year old in front of me in line.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with a power tripping Toys'R'Us manager. I'll probably never go to one of these again, or spend money in his store.

Edit - Just read this looks like someone else had the same problem. It's sad, we actually have a TRU account and found the event from an e-mail they sent us. Then couldn't even follow their own rules.

Ami Dark

Professor/Leader of the Destiny Tower League
News on the gym badge:
We will be getting Gym Badge as a League Promo. We are getting the Boulder Badge and Cascade Badge for Evolutions Season 1! Also, we're getting League Promo Pikachu. ;D

taschen88

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, I am a PTCG Online-only player and I'm glad XY12 Evolutions and its theme decks have finally been added in the game within the last 24 hours! :)

I tried playing both at Theme deck format Versus Mode at first and they are nostalgic AF. Particularly, having to rely on Sandshrew's Sand Attack or Electabuzz's until you get a good usable card next turn. Both theme decks are built heavy on Energy and equipped with barely more than 10 Trainers, just like way back in the day in 2000.

That said, it's saddening that XY12 Evolutions cards (at least in Theme deck format) aren't at par with the rest of the sets in the XY Era. While Beedrill, Hitmonchan, and Mewtwo can still compete, old staples Electabuzz and Magneton just aren't strong enough anymore. Electabuzz's Thunderpunch attack has weak base damage in today's standards, it could've been tweaked to retain its "rare" value from back in the day. Magneton's Selfdestruct attack isn't worth the recoil damage since another Theme deck from XY Breakthrough has the stronger, fully-evolved Magnezone. Even Raichu's Spark Bolt attack is outclassed by its counterparts from the Burning Spark deck or the online-only Crushing Current deck.

Perhaps Beedrill will do well in Standard format, with support from Forest of the Giant Plants, Ultra Ball, and Revitalizer. Mewtwo will probably fit in any deck, as its Psychic attack cost is quite versatile. Outside theme deck format, Raichu is unnecessary as Raichu-Break does better at an almost identical attack.

As for the other Pokemon, the Generations/Furious Fists Machop and Machoke are better IMO, though the new Machamp is a good attacker. Haunter would be an okay-ish attacker with Fates Collide Hypno and ChaosTower around, but 80 damage isn't that great. And Dugtrio from this set is quite slow. Its Earthquake attack is much stronger than its XY Base Set equivalent's, but generally it's too frail to last long in battle.

Last thoughts: I'm surprised they didn't add Brock's Grit and Misty's Determination in these theme decks, or reprinted some XY staple supporters. Also, 2 or 3 more Trainer cards on each deck would've been of great help. The way these decks were constructed was also too nostalgic, lol. And lastly, PTCG *HATES* the Bulbasaur line, and to a lesser extent, the Squirtle line. :( It would've been great to see all the 3 original Kanto (non-EX) starters reprinted and modernized.