• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

My deck

Victinity

Aspiring Trainer
I am a budget player, who lacks some staple cards like Hex Maniac, Lysandre, Shaymin EX, ...
I got mostly Cards from GEN, FTC and STS and plan to buy the Volcanion EX Tin. I will also buy the Evolutions expansion as soon it comes out.

I made a deck list from my Cards (I don't care about Formats, I play casual). Can you please help me? Which Cards are unnecessary? Which Cards are needed to add?

Here is the deck list:

3 Flareon EX
1 Volcanion EX
2 Volcanion
1 Charizard EX GEN
1 Blaziken EX
1 Reshiram B&W
1 Infernape STS
1 Monferno Plasma Freeze
1 Monferno STS
3 Chimchar STS
2 Litwick STS (Discards Cards for Infernape, Volcanion, Charizard EX and Blaziken EX, Great for Ninja Boy)

4 Juniper (Got no Sycamore *cringe*)
4 Ninja Boy
2 Pokémon Fan Club
1 Skyla
4 Energy Switch
2 Energy Retrieval(Too many Energies are discarded)
2 Letter
1 Ultra Ball
2 Scorched Earth
1 Skyarrow Bridge

18 Fire Energy
1 Burning Energy
1 DCE

I don't own most of the staple cards like: Lysandre, Shaymin EX or Hoopa EX. I have an N, a SuperRod and a VS seeker available as well as a Charizard EX Blackstar from R&B Collection. I got a 3rd Volcanion too.

Also, I don't wanna buy cards on the internet since my PayPal got hacked twice. If I need a vital card, I will buy the pack/tin/Box if possible. Sadly in Germany they don't have that many special boxes

Thanks for your help and train On!!

Last edited:

rickydeanmassengale

Aspiring Trainer
for the pokemon, i would keep the flareon gen, the volcanion sts, and the volcanion ex sts. And consider cutting all the rest of the pokemon and trying to get a playset of each volcanion to replace everything you removed. My friend has an awesome deck that just uses flareon, and both volcanions only. Just a suggestion though i know its tough to fill a deck without the right cards

Oh and if you make those additions you may be able to drop the energy retrieval because volcanion sts recycles discarded energies back onto your benched pokemon with his attack. And flareon ex uses his ability to pull energies from your other benched pokemon to power up his attack. His deck only runs 13 fire energy cards and no special energy because the abilities only work with basic energy, another good stadium to add some fluidity to your deck is scorched earth which also acts as a good draw suporter and helps volcanion sts in energy acceleration. Good luck finding some of these cards as they arent very expensive just a little tricky to find if you dont have a good local card shop or mistrust in shopping on the internet. Hope this helps some

AquaDragon82

The Canadian Gamer
I also agree that you should make this deck more focused on Volcanion and Flareon. I would also suggest to only have 1 Ninja Boy since 4 is far too many and having 2-3 N would also really help the consistency of the deck. Trainers' Mail and more 3 Ultra would also be a very nice edition to the deck. I know how hard it is to get the right cards you need, but hopefully you can make your deck work!

chella182

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah you need more draw support than 4 Juniper, N is probably the best one, although Shauna would be okay too. You definitely don't need 4 Ninja Boy, 2 at most, so cut 2 of those for either 2 Shauna or 2 N.

As for Pokémon, you can probably cut the Charizard EX and Blaziken EX as I can't see what they really add to the deck other than being another attacker. With this deck really I'd say you want to have Flareon active most of the time, and then once you have 8 Energy in the discard pile, Retreat discarding 2 more into Infernape. Assuming the Reshiram you have is the one with Outrage, that's a pretty nice attacker.

If you can get your hands on some older cards I'd suggest Blacksmith maybe for while you're setting up and Super Rod (BREAKpoint for shuffles KO'd Pokémon back in). Needs more Ultra Balls too, and probably another Volcanion EX if you can get one.

Victinity

Aspiring Trainer
First of all, thanks for your advice) Sadly I got only 1 N and 1 Ultra Ball. I cut the Chimchar line for more trainers. I found a 4th Flareon EX:) Sadly the tin still isn't released in Germany:(((

This is the new deck list:)

Please tell me what can I replace:) (Sadly got no: Lysandre, Trainers Mail, Blacksmith)
3 Flareon EX
1 Volcanion EX
3 Volcanion
1 Charizard EX GEN
1 Blaziken EX
1 Reshiram B&W
2 Litwick STS

4 Juniper
3 Shauna
2 Ninja Boy
2 Pokemon Fan Club
1 N
1 Skyla

3 Revive
3 Retrieval
2 Letter
1 VS Seeker
1 Ultra Ball
1 Great Ball
1 Super Rod
1 Switch

2 Scorched Earth
1 Skyarrow Bridge

17 Fire Energy
1 Burning Energy
1 DCE

rickydeanmassengale

Aspiring Trainer
Thats looking a lot more solid of a dexk! Keep at it hopefully you will be able to pull more key cards sometime. Keep me posted as you get more cards and change up the deck some more id definately like to see how it turns out when you got feel you got it just how you want it.

Victinity

Aspiring Trainer
Thats looking a lot more solid of a dexk! Keep at it hopefully you will be able to pull more key cards sometime. Keep me posted as you get more cards and change up the deck some more id definately like to see how it turns out when you got feel you got it just how you want it.
First of all thanks for sour quick reply:)))
Which cards would you take out from this deck list? Do you think I should include the 4th Flareon?
I will probably purchase some FTC and STS packs til the Tin is released. Do you think Evolutions is a viable addition to my deck?

chella182

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah that's an improvement for sure. You definitely want to be opening the game with Volcanion, discarding Energy as quick as possible (with Ultra Ball or Steam Up ability), and getting it back onto the board then just attacking for as much damage as possible. Taking Infernape out is probably a good thing to be honest; it's a fun idea for a deck but it's pretty difficult to pull off, particularly if you only had a 1-1-1 line of it in there; chances are one of them will be prized.

As for Bursting Balloon, I guess you could work it into this deck. You have plenty of basic Fire Energy to be getting on with so at this point anything you want to add I'd just take out an Energy for it and see how it works.

Ultimately things you want to be looking for for decks (if you get chance to trade cards at events / buy them online):

VS Seeker: Most decks you need 4 of these really. Then you can freely discard Supporters early game and then they're there for you to VS Seeker later on.
Lysandre: Not all decks need/run it I don't think, but it's such a good card so try and get hold of some if you can.
Trainers' Mail: Same as above really. All 3 of my decks at the moment have 4 of these in, really helps with consistency.
N: N isn't really a 4-of Supporter any more, but I like to have at least 2 in the deck - it's a good early-game draw Supporter and can get you out of some jams late game if you're losing (which is its advantage over Shauna).
Ultra Ball: In a deck like this you could really use some more of these if you can get them.
Heavy Ball: I'm pretty sure Volcanion and Volcanion EX have 3+ Retreat Cost, so a Heavy Ball or two would help you get them out of your deck without the need for discarding anything.

I appreciate that some of those cards are hard-to-find / expensive (VS Seeker in particular), but like I say if you do get the chance to trade/buy I'd say those are what you want to be going for.

Victinity

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah that's an improvement for sure. You definitely want to be opening the game with Volcanion, discarding Energy as quick as possible (with Ultra Ball or Steam Up ability), and getting it back onto the board then just attacking for as much damage as possible. Taking Infernape out is probably a good thing to be honest; it's a fun idea for a deck but it's pretty difficult to pull off, particularly if you only had a 1-1-1 line of it in there; chances are one of them will be prized.

As for Bursting Balloon, I guess you could work it into this deck. You have plenty of basic Fire Energy to be getting on with so at this point anything you want to add I'd just take out an Energy for it and see how it works.

Ultimately things you want to be looking for for decks (if you get chance to trade cards at events / buy them online):

VS Seeker: Most decks you need 4 of these really. Then you can freely discard Supporters early game and then they're there for you to VS Seeker later on.
Lysandre: Not all decks need/run it I don't think, but it's such a good card so try and get hold of some if you can.
Trainers' Mail: Same as above really. All 3 of my decks at the moment have 4 of these in, really helps with consistency.
N: N isn't really a 4-of Supporter any more, but I like to have at least 2 in the deck - it's a good early-game draw Supporter and can get you out of some jams late game if you're losing (which is its advantage over Shauna).
Ultra Ball: In a deck like this you could really use some more of these if you can get them.
Heavy Ball: I'm pretty sure Volcanion and Volcanion EX have 3+ Retreat Cost, so a Heavy Ball or two would help you get them out of your deck without the need for discarding anything.

I appreciate that some of those cards are hard-to-find / expensive (VS Seeker in particular), but like I say if you do get the chance to trade/buy I'd say those are what you want to be going for.

Thanks for your thorough review of vital cards:) I certainly replace the fire energy with the Balloon:))))

Tseus

- Tseus on Runescape - Tseus#1273 Battle.net
First of all, thanks for your advice) Sadly I got only 1 N and 1 Ultra Ball. I cut the Chimchar line for more trainers. I found a 4th Flareon EX:) Sadly the tin still isn't released in Germany:(((

This is the new deck list:)

Please tell me what can I replace:) (Sadly got no: Lysandre, Trainers Mail, Blacksmith)
3 Flareon EX
1 Volcanion EX
3 Volcanion
1 Charizard EX GEN
1 Blaziken EX
1 Reshiram B&W
2 Litwick STS

4 Juniper
3 Shauna
2 Ninja Boy
2 Pokemon Fan Club
1 N
1 Skyla

3 Revive
3 Retrieval
2 Letter
1 VS Seeker
1 Ultra Ball
1 Great Ball
1 Super Rod
1 Switch

2 Scorched Earth
1 Skyarrow Bridge

17 Fire Energy
1 Burning Energy
1 DCE

If you can, pick up the Keldeo Vs Rayquaza battle arena deck tpci just released. It has most of the staple trainers you could need!

felinefine

see you later space cowboy.
Like what @Tseus said, The Keldeo vs. Raquaza Battle Arena Deck has a BUNCH of great cards for standard, expanded, or just casual. It provides N, Sycanmore, Karen, and a good supply of nice trainer cards and sick holo energies. SO personally, I think that buying 1 or 2 of these boxes could benefit you a lot :)

chella182

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah I'll third the buying of the Battle Arena Decks. You get 2 VS Seeker, 2 Battle Compressor (which would be good for discarding Fire Energy for baby Volcanion to attach in this deck), 4 Ultra Ball, 4 Professor Sycamore, 2 Lysandre, 2 N, and some foil Fire Energy as well (only 4 in a box, but still!). The only thing they're missing is Trainers' Mail really. Definitely worth the money you pay for them.