News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

My Evaluations:
  • Arcanine - the ability reminds me of Machamp Prime ... a bit, but the attack is "nah!"
  • Raticate - Interesting! So many players playing bunch of Spec. Energy Cards like Giratina's.
  • Raichu - Meh!
  • Machamp BREAK - I want this with the FUF/GEN Machamp so it'll be OHKO machine.
  • Poliwrath - Interesting!
  • Nidoking - NEXT!
  • Revive - Ooohhh! A reprint from Roaring Skies.
  • Clefairy! Clefairy! - Too high attack cost for the Metronome. Zoroark BREAK is still better on that.
  • Ninetales - Needs more Steaming Volcanions.
I'll give you some reasons why most cards in the Base Set aren't in this one:
  • Similarities:
  1. Blastoise - Blastoise (BCR)
  2. Pokemon Center - Max Potion
  3. Bill - Tierno but much better.
  4. Pokemon Flute - Target Whistle
  5. Lass - Ghetsis
  6. Trader - Pokemon Comm.
  7. Item Finder - Dowsing Machine?
  8. Comp. Search - an ACE SPEC card of it.
  9. Prof. Oak - Prof. Sycamore probably Kukui in SM1.
  10. Impostor Prof. Oak - Red Card / Judge
  11. (Super) Energy Removal - Hammers
  12. Clefairy Doll - Robo Sub
  • Reasons:
  1. Venusaur - Some of players only care Venusaur. They only focus on Charizard.
  2. Alakazam - Kadabra is still BANNED!
  3. Jynx - Racism issue.
  4. Pidgeotto/Dragonair - They debuted as Regular rares in the set. It'll be absurd if they become rares again in the set.
  • Guess:
Imakuni?'s Doduo, Ooyama's Exeggutor are some cards that afilliates the Japan events. US cards won't do that and they never ever afilliate those cards like that to the Japan events.

(No Super Scoop Up??!!)

Kadabra isn't banned. They avoid printing it so as not to make Uri Geller start whining again, he lost the lawsuit.

Your reasoning of Pidgeotto and Dragonair is entirely irrelevant, many of the rarities in this set are different to those of Base Set. Electabuzz was a Rare in Base Set, it's a COMMON here. Potion and Switch were Common in Base Set, but Uncommon here.

Your reasoning on similar cards is also not really a reason. The Trainers, maybe. But they've never shied away from making cards similar to past Pokemon. (We've had several based on Base Set Hitmonchan, for instance. And even you pointed out Deluge Blastoise is based on the Base Set one.) And there being no Bill-based Supporter here is definitely a surprise. We got a new card based on Brock, who wasn't featured in Base Set, and one based on Professor Oak as well.

You can pull both a R&B collection promo + a normal full art in the Japanese boxes, I'm pretty sure the R&B promo cards just take the place of a normal ex, but not guaranteed.

So much I want to comment on but as I finally realized something very stupid which I did, I need to apologize for that.

Oh, right, I'll need to be specific. I do not know why but I finally noticed the "If you use this card, your turn ends." clause on Professor Oak's Hint. My only defense is "Seriously, this card was bad when I did not realize playing it ended your turn; this goes beyond nerfing, this is taxidermy!"

So to @Water Pokémon Master and all the others making the obvious comparison with Tropical Beach, I'm sorry.

I am SO excited for XY Evolutions to come out in the U.S.A. My only complaints are 1. There is no Squirtle and Bulbasaur lines and 2. There is no Mega Pinsir, because after the premium collections, Mega Pinsir will be the only Kanto mega without a card.

If Hitmonchan's bottom attack was [F][C][C], it could've been quite a good card with stadium, tool and strong energy combos.

More of a fun set than playable, maybe they're trying to get us more excited for when Sun and Moon base comes out.

Aw man, it looks like the English ones will just have the original Japanese layout and not the original English layout. Huge bummer.

So my first CP6 pack had a Ninetails holo and a Dragonite EX (not full art).
Apparently every pack is guaranteed Holo, and if you get an EX, it adds on!

Post moved to 20th anniversary thread - Steffenka

Last edited by a moderator:
having the japanese layout actually appeals to me, but I have full sets of old cards from when I was a kid and I imagine it will be disappointing to others.

I'm mega excited for this set. Even though I've had insane luck in Steam Siege and Roaring Skies, Evolutions looks to be a great set, and I'm excited for it!

Yay. A Pikachu Theme Deck. >.> Nothing says "buy me" like an unevolved Pokemon as the cover card. (No, I don't consider Pichu to make Pikachu an "evolved Pokemon".)

And eh, the pose on Pikachu isn't terribly close to the Zap! art. Mewtwo's is a cool throwback, though. Zap! was the first Theme Deck I got, so slightly nostalgic. (One of only three of the early Theme Decks I remember buying, along with Blackout and Bodyguard.) Man, I forgot how bad those Theme Decks were back then, looking at the lists now.

Back