Alola Rattata and Munchlax with Snorlium-Z Included in Nintendo Direct News!

Looks at snorlaxs red eyes after the trainer tells it to use it's Z move im going to get nightmare from that!

So if the Munchlax is a preorder bonus, are there restrictions on where it was preordered from and the rest of the world outside the US.
Pretty sure it's not pre-order bonus, it's just a timed exclusive Mystery Gift, like Torchic holding Blazikenite for XY and the Shiny Beldum with Metagrossite for ORAS, being only available for a "short" period after launch.

Pokemon.com said:
Those who purchase Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon by Wednesday, January 11, 2017, are eligible to receive an early purchase bonus via their Internet connection—a Munchlax that evolves into Pulverizing Snorlax!

-http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/dont-miss-out-on-munchlax-in-pokemon-sun-and-pokemon-moon/

Pretty sure it's not pre-order bonus, it's just a timed exclusive Mystery Gift, like Torchic holding Blazikenite for XY and the Shiny Beldum with Metagrossite for ORAS, being only available for a "short" period after launch.

That makes more sense, it was the whole "those who buy it early" or whatever it said that threw me off.

What appeals to me most is the new bgm in the introductory video (dunno if it's the one posted in this thread since youtube is banned here in china). The exotic element really gives out the cool tropical feeling.

So the next news dump is Tuesday? I guess that's when we get the next 4-5 minute trailer, hopefully. I'd love another massive news batch to come. I love all the new possible speculation, and theorization that comes from it.

Anyways, my opinions on all this:

Pokemon:

Alolan Rattata: Well, it gains two weaknesses and worsens the one it already had. Can't say I like it much, but I love it's design. It really sinks in as an urban rat to me.

Z Moves:

Alolan Raichu has his own Z move. That's interesting. It's not something I'll be using any time soon, because I'm still not a big fan of Alolan Raichu (though it's growing on me a little). Snorlax's Z move made me laugh. It got up! And it ran! I never thought I'd see the day. But I laughed so hard when Snorlax's eyes flashed red. I laughed way too hard to be considering healthy.

But anyways, it was a good little informative. Not a big one, but decent enough to satisfy us until Tuesday.

I wasn't going to use older Pokemon since I like seeing what newer stuff is like, but that Pancake. I need to use Snorlax now.

They actually didn't show Cubone and Pikachu evolving into their Alolan formes. They cut just before they evolved and they didn't show Exeggcute at all.

And I understand your argument of why they didn't show Alolan Raticate but they mentioned it so they might as well have shown it. But then again, they'll probably reveal it on September 6.

It showed the Exeggcute in the JP trailer revealing Alola forms, but it's true that all the evolutions cut. Only the Munchlax and one other evolution cut to the end of the evolution screen rather than to battle. But, don't take this as there must definitely be Alolan pre-evolutions for them all as well.

Yungoos and Gumshoos are detectives and Alolan Rattata has a classic bad-guy moustache and seems to have a gang theme with Raticate being the boss.

So like, are Z moves just going to be spectacular, high damage moves? Are they survivable? Will the meta around Z moves essentially be trying to nail a protect/sub or lose your least useful Pokemon? GX moves in the TCG went a bit more strategic, but if we're just looking at flashy delete buttons eh.

It showed the Exeggcute in the JP trailer revealing Alola forms, but it's true that all the evolutions cut. Only the Munchlax and one other evolution cut to the end of the evolution screen rather than to battle. But, don't take this as there must definitely be Alolan pre-evolutions for them all as well.

We know that the pre-evolutions aren't Alolan though. It wouldn't make sense for Pikachu to be Alolan when Pichu isn't.

So Alolan variety of pokemon are from gen 1 pokemon only? If so it might continue for the 8th gen. So in gen 8, pokemon from gen 2 will get their Alolan variety but ofcourse named after the region.

So Alolan variety of pokemon are from gen 1 pokemon only? If so it might continue for the 8th gen. So in gen 8, pokemon from gen 2 will get their Alolan variety but ofcourse named after the region.

I think it's moreso they picked all Gen I Pokemon so far to get Alolan forms is to coincide with the fact Sun and Moon will have compatibility with PokeBank and the VC releases of Red, Blue and Yellow.

The 2DS is pretty ugly.

At least the 2oth anniversary clear ones was cool, so I bought them for novelty sake,

but gosh these are hideous.

I like that Nintendo considers that early purchasing :p Even though I'll be buying Moon on the day of its release, that's very thoughtful of them. I remember when they asked if I still wanted to subscribe to their newsletter. This reminds me of that!

Anyhow, this'll be what I'll be up to for the rest of the year so I'm glad they're filling us in on a solid, recurring basis! Crossing my fingers for a demo in October.

I honestly like what they are doing with these old pokemon like Ninetales, Sandslash, Raichu, Marowak and now Ratatta (and Raticate I assume).

All fairly cool, nostalgic pokemon with little to no competitive use in the current battle scene. Maybe the new forms will change that. Will have to wait for the stats though to make a final judgement.. If there are no stat improvements (in numbers, or in spread) then this is a wasted opportunity I guess, especially in the case of Ratatta/Raticate.

Think about it; an overpowered, boss-like dark type Raticate that crushes all of your pokemon for all those times you laughed at it 16 years ago..

That Snorlax move is amazing! Does it remind anyone else of Bowser's down-special in SSB4? 'Pulverizing Pancake'... it could not get a better name than that.

Maybe 'Belly Flop'. But other than that, nothing.

I was also kind of expecting the Rattata for some reason. Maybe just because we need more top percent jokes?

I hope Youngster Joey is back with this new Rattata. That would be amazing.

But, don't take this as there must definitely be Alolan pre-evolutions for them all as well.

But it would make no sense to just show the original Pokemon evolving and then cut to the Alolan forme and just cut the evolution before it is done. If the normal Pokemon could evolve into Alolan Pokemon, then they'd just show. Also, one Pokemon that has to have a pre-evolution is Marowak because it'd be ridiculous for a Ground type to evolve into a Ghost/Fire type. If Nintendo had't revealed Vulpix, Sandshrew, Marowak and this newly revealed Rattata and if they hadn't shown the original Pokemon "evolving into the Alolan forme" then it would be harder to say if Alolan Pokemon could have pre-evolutions/evolutions because all of these get in the way of trying to say that an Alolan Pokemon doesn't have to have an Alolan pre-evolution/evolution.
  • If only Ninetales and Sandslash get pre-evolutions and some Alolan Pokemon don't, that wouldn't make sense.
  • In the case of Marowak, you can't have a Ground type suddenly evolve into a Ghost/Fire type because you would have huge move set issues.
  • And with Rattata, it is similar to Ninetales and Sandslash in that we know it evolves but we only know that because of the information Nintendo had released but they haven't officially revealed Raticate. This is proof that they don't have to reveal an entire Alolan evolution line.
  • Another problem is that they showed the original Pokemon (Pikachu and Cubone) evolving bu then cut to their Alolan formes. If normal Pokemon can evolve into an Alolan forme Pokemon, then why not leave that two seconds footage in the video? Because they can't. If they could, there would be no point in cutting the evolution before it was complete and a normal Cubone could become an Alolan Marowak, which I've already said has serious typing issue.
If Nintendo hadn't revealed these little things here and there then it might be viable to say that some Alolan Pokemon have Alolan pre-evolutions/evolutions and others don't, but because of the little things they have it revealed, it is easy to say that it would ridiculous to say that some Alolan Pokemon don't have pre-evolutions/evolutions. The only reasonable excuse for why they don't reveal the entire Alolan evolution line is because they rarely reveal entire evolution lines.

Looking back to the Pokemon X & Y reveals, they only revealed a couple entire evolution lines which were:
  • Pancham > Pangoro
  • Skiddo > Gogoat
  • Scatterbug > Spewpa > Vivillon
  • Litleo > Pyroar
  • Inkay > Malamar
  • Swirlix > Slurpuff
  • Spritzee > Aromatisse
  • Tyrunt > Tyrantrum
  • Amaura > Aurorus
And they revealed these Pokemon but not their entire evolution lines:
  • Chespin > Quilladin > ?
  • Fennekin > Braixen > ?
  • Froakie > Frogadier > ?
  • Fletchling > ? > Talonflame
  • Helioptile > ?
  • ? > Noivern
  • Clauncher > ?
  • Skrelp > ?
  • Flabebe > ? > ?
  • Honedge > Doublade > ?
  • Bunnelby > ?
  • ? > Meowstic

Judging from this, you can say its normal for Nintendo no to show the entire evolution line but in the case of Alolan Pokemon, you can't just say they might not have pre-evolutions/evolutions, especially in the case of Pokemon like Marowak. Only time will tell which one of us are right but I'm willing to bet that there is Alolan Pikachu, Exeggcute, Cubone and Persian.

Back