News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

Pikachu6319

Scooby
They should not only reprint the cards but also have the same attacks which require less energies for attacks. Damage output and HP should also bump up. Basically the only thing reprinted will be the artwork and the attack name.

It would be better this way, but it looks like it's for collection only and not for playing.

As suggested in the article, they might just be like the Tauros card in generation where only the artwork is from base set but attacks from the most recent Tauros card.

Well they'll have to something different with it most likely. Blastoise and Venusaur don't have any recent format cards, if you exclude the EX versions. Venusaur last appeared in Dark Explorers and Blastoise last appeared in Plasma Blast/Boundaries Crossed (they were the same card with different artwork) though ironically that was a rain dancer too. Only Charizard has had a non-EX print recently and that was in Generations.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
If this set does come to the West, I wouldn't think that the FA cards would be in this, but rather like a separate blister pack thing, like how Jolteon, Golem, Vaporeon, Meostic, Ninetales, and Leafeon was in our Generations set but was in a Battle Strengthening set in Japan.

It's obvious the English set won't have those. What I mean is the FAs from the Red & Blue Collection Boxes we've been getting in the west will probably be released in Japan through this set...

The Tauros was from Jungle, not Base Set.
Well, the point is even though the name of the set is "20th anniversary Expansion Pack" (because in Japan the Base Set was known as "Expansion Pack"), the cards will be reprints from the Classic sets. Slowpoke isn't from Base Set either, it's from Fossil... As another example, Dragonite appears in the dummy art yet it wasn't in Base Set...

From all the things that could be potentially playable from Base, Fossil and Jungle, I find it funny that Starmie is being featured as a reprint on the mock up. Like, 3 energies for 20 lol.
I hope all the cards get updated but keep their artwork, like what happened to Tauros.
I think that's what will likely happen with Starmie and other cards... or maybe Starmie will be an EX or a BREAK, since it's in the dummy art as one of the featured Pokémon...

Well they'll have to something different with it most likely. Blastoise and Venusaur don't have any recent format cards, if you exclude the EX versions. Venusaur last appeared in Dark Explorers and Blastoise last appeared in Plasma Blast/Boundaries Crossed (they were the same card with different artwork) though ironically that was a rain dancer too. Only Charizard has had a non-EX print recently and that was in Generations.

If they do the same they did with Tauros (which is actually a reprint from the one in XY), they can use the Venusaur from Dark Explorers and the Blastoise from Plasma Blast/Boundaries Crossed... The XY and BW era use the same card templates and, for the most part, the same terminology in the card texts so that's not really an issue.

Last edited:

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
Really hoping the packart indicates a full art textured Ninetales and Starmie. Wouldn't mind if Pinsir was shiny either

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
*PRAYS FOR AN ALAKAZAM MIRACLE*.

Because Premium Champion Pack already exists as a reprint conclusion set. This may officially be the final 6th Generation set.

Sevus

Aspiring Trainer
When they first reprinted Base Set Charizard in Stormfront set, they didn't update anything about it.

Not quite true - Energy Burn and Fire Spin were both functionally changed. Stormfront Charizard's Energy Burn was a Poké-Body, while Base Set Charizard's Energy Burn was an activated Pokémon Power, what would become Poké-Powers. More importantly, Stormfront Charizard's Fire Spin required you to discard 2 Energy, while Base Set Charizard required you to discard 2 energy cards as the cost for the attack. So back in Base Set, if you had 2 Double Colorless Energy attached to Charizard, you'd have to discard them both to satisfy the cost of Fire Spin.

You are correct that the HP and damage were not increased to be in line with modern values, but the card did change.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Tauros is a reprint of the XY Tauros with the Jungle artwork weirdly tacked on.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
They are teasing me. I just want to know what reprinted mons they are picking. Energy Trans Venusaur means I dont have to play Golduck Break and makes my decks more consistent with Forest.

I just want to know more!

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
While I think it's amazing that we're getting more nostalgia filled bliss for the 20th, the one thing I'm slightly worried about for this set is that it may be a little too much nostalgic. I hope in this set they still do treat it as a main series set and set up new top tier decks, especially now when a lot of the previous top tier decks are either being rotated or losing crucial cards. (I feel like every set should have some sort of deck that performs well, BREAKthrough had YZG, BREAKpoint had Greninja and Trev Break, and Fates Collide had... not much, but rather good tech cards for other decks.) Again, I love that this is a base set reprint, but I hope they don't focus too much on Base Set and give us fresh cards and ideas without falling back on the Ultra Rares and Trainers. Can we finally get @crystal_pidgeot his M Pidgeot-EX already? Or Venasur, Blastoise, and Charizard BREAK? Because, again: this is a main series set, not a sub-set or mini-set like Generations or Radiant Collection, as such it should be treated like one instead of being Base Set modified for the current era. Those are just my thoughts thoug, still love the idea of getting a Base Set reprint set though. Also where's Blastoise on that pack art?

DpoProductions

Aspiring Trainer
I dont play the TCG, but I have all my old cards from my childhood and some of the newer set of cards that I have bought over the years whenever I would get that itch of opening packs, cuz I just love that part so much.
So if they do release a booster box for this set, I will prob pay for it.

postmodern_pinko

So postmodern
Computer Search? Item Finder?? WEEDLE (69/102)?!

PROF OAK AS A NON SUPPORTER??
(jk about that one) (not Weedle)

The cards are pretty black and white with how they'd affect the metagame -- either they'd be useless or break it :p. Curious to see how they handle it.

EDIT: Also it sort of strikes me like they're going to cram all the remaining Megas into this set to clear the slate before Sun and Moon. Maybe they'll change the Mega mechanic? I think it's direly in need of it considering they can't even dent the meta right now, and they're (Megas) supposed to be soOoOoOo cool.

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
Very excited for this one. There's a ton of potential for cards with Base Set art and concepts, especially if they allow some minor tweaking to account for changes to the game since the 90s.

Hoping against hope for a FA Moltres to join Zapdos and Articuno from Generations as well!

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Toxic Gases Muk... Oh wait - that was from the Fossil Set.

I wonder if this set could also create trainer reprints that coincide with the theme. For instance, Clefairy Doll to bring Back Robo Substitute, a (Super) Scoop-Up, a Computer Search/Itemfinder as an Ace Spec, a Pokemon Trader for Pokemon Communication, etc. I wouldn't mind all that...

Also, given how the new set tries to 'modernize' the old, I'm curious how they'll bring the old threats back... It would be hilarious if, for instance, they make a Hitmonchan card for this format with an attack called 'Ultra Jab' - a move that does 50 Damage with a single fighting energy! :eek:

Turtleatlaw

Aspiring Trainer
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the possibility of a Charizard reprint. Seeing that art again would bring back memories.