2017 Format Rotation Announced!

I just hope expanded won't be in the same tournament chains as standard, they're different formats that should have they're own tournaments whose points shouldn't interact.

That's a monkey off my back.

I mean I haven't even contemplated the full ramifications, but it is just good to know. Part of me wishes they had added Legacy IRL because I'm enjoying it on the PTCGO, but then again I'm the one that grumbles that Expanded will make it harder to reboot certain mechanics because of older cards. XD

Yesterday, I started an article on what a hypothetical PRC-on format would look like. Guess it's time to edit it to say that it's confirmed...

Kinda surprised that Double Crisis is making the cut as I thought it was kinda short-lived (I never found many packs of it - hell, I was lucky enough to make a deck with what I got).

Other than that, my guess on that it was going to be Primal Clash onwards was dead on. Though now I'm sad that I've gotta retire my Lucario deck now it's been properly fine-tuned, and that I'll have to track down a lot of Generations M Charizard EXs to make a viable deck.^^; Least Yveltal/Xerneas EX survives thanks to the shiny tins!

Double though I'll have to reconfigure my Vixen Flare deck to change the draw support cards as Blacksmith/Flame Torch are getting the boot. Guess I can put in other draw cards or some energy recycle cards to keep Flare Witch running.

This blows hard as a majority of my Fairy Deck is pretty much crippled from this (I like to play my Fairy Deck as a Standard deck, not Expanded)
I lose:

2-2 Aromatisse
1-1 Slurpuff (XY)
1 Florges EX
2-2 Sylveon (She was my Favorite in the deck too :( )
3x Muscle Band
2x Startling Megaphone
1x Sacred Ash

Now I have to worry about Darkrai/Hypno (Wonder Energy won't exactly help me with that either)

What is going to happen with VS Seeker? There is a secret rare in Roaring Skies but the original print is in Phantom Forces.

Can someone fill me in on what key cards got rotated out? So far all I know are battle compressor/blacksmith/fiery torch/bats. Also what are a good replacement for bats since they are gone?

Can someone fill me in on what key cards got rotated out? So far all I know are battle compressor/blacksmith/fiery torch/bats. Also what are a good replacement for bats since they are gone?
crobat is gone not the other two they are in GEN. Also, Korrina, Fighting Stadium, Muscle Band, and Startling Megaphone

I'm not sure how many of these are key cards, but most fill a spot in some archetype one way or another.

Delphox (Mystical Fire)
Pyroar (Intimidating Mane)
Greninja (Water Shuriken)
Trevenant (Forest Curse)
Aromatisse (Fairy Transfer)
Miltank
Dedenne
Mienshao
Hawlucha (Shining Spirit)
Noivern (Echolocation)
Eevee (Energy Evolution)
Joltik-Lampent-Pumpkaboo (Night March)
Crobat (Surprise Bite)
Bronzong (Metal Links)

EXs:
Toxicroak
Kangaskhan
Seismitoad
Lucario
Dragonite
Manectric/MegaMan
Gengar
Malamar
Dialga
Aegislash
Florges

Cassius
Blacksmith
Korrina
Az
Xerosic

Hard Charm
Muscle Band
Focus Sash
Trick Coin
Protection Cube
Head Ringer

Startling Megaphone
Fiery Torch
Super Scoop-Up
Battle Compressor
Robo Sub
Target Whistle

Shadow Circle
Fighting Stadium
Training Center
Dimension Valley
Steel Shelter

Herbal Energy
Mystery Energy

Last edited:
Here's to a slower, more fun format! (As long as counterdecks to M Rayquaza-EX manage to keep it on its toes). This actually looks quite promising in allowing a wider variety of decks to flourish.

Team Flare Grunt was reprinted in Generations, so it survives the rotation. :) @Yog

Praying Metal Links Bronzong will be reprinted, I think that was a very balanced card. Glad Night March and Trevenant got rotated out. Muscle Band, Bronzong, and Startling Megaphone are the three cards I'm going to miss the most.

Back