Water Toolbox - Seismitoad-EX / Manaphy-EX / Articuno

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on AquaBox variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

AquaBox Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 13
  • 3 Seismitoad-EX
  • 2 Manaphy-EX
  • 2 Articuno ROS 17
  • 1 Regice AOR 24
  • 3 Shaymin-EX
  • 1 Hoopa-EX
  • 1 Aegislash-EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Max Elixir
  • 3 Energy Switch
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 3 Rough Seas
Energy: 12
  • 12 Water Energy
Open Spots: 2

NovaFangz

Ready to Chomp you down to size
Is Dive ball a good option for this deck? Would it be better or worse than ultra ball?

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
Is Dive ball a good option for this deck? Would it be better or worse than ultra ball?
You need Ultra Ball to grab Hoopa-EX on your first turn and Shaymin-EX after the first Ultra Ball. It's also used to thin your deck of cards you don't need in a particular matchup to defend against N.

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
Oh my Arceus. I was just looking at Water Box and wondering why it wasn't one the Metagame discussion. Could a single Suicune be helpful in this deck? Suicune could make Trevenant BREAK decks a little easier to beat, and can hit the magic 110 on Shaymin-EX and pre-BREAK Trevenant.

Last edited:

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
Oh my Arceus. I was just looking at Water Box and wondering why it wasn't one the Metagame discussion. Could a single Suicune be helpful in this deck? Suicune could make Trevenant BREAK decks a little easier to beat, and can hit the magic 11o on Shaymin-EX and pre-BREAK Trevenant.
Suicune is an interesting card for sure, but Trevenant BREAK is already a great matchup for AquaBox. Between the healing from Rough Seas and Manaphy-EX's Mineral Pump it's tough for Trevenant BREAK to keep any damage on your side of the board.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I've seen videos on this, but I'm skeptical of this deck. How does this deck fair against the rest of the format; meaning besides trees, night march and Entei (R.I.P. my fiery friends)?

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
Suicune is an interesting card for sure, but Trevenant BREAK is already a great matchup for AquaBox. Between the healing from Rough Seas and Manaphy-EX's Mineral Pump it's tough for Trevenant BREAK to keep any damage on your side of the board.

That makes sense, but what does Water Box do about the Bursting Balloons? The stadium advantage isn't a permanent thing, and Toad's item lock lacks the longevity of Trevenant's.

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
i make top cut in national using water toolbox. I swap the Aegislash ex with Glaceon ex. I didn't face any vespiquen or sceptile ex though. imo Suicune is unnecessary, as rough sea handle Trevenant well already. if you can set a Glaceon ex u auto win too. there's not much Wobbuffet can do. I also beat toad tina twice, just using Regice

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
i make top cut in national using water toolbox. I swap the Aegislash ex with Glaceon ex. I didn't face any vespiquen or sceptile ex though. imo Suicune is unnecessary, as rough sea handle Trevenant well already. if you can set a Glaceon ex u auto win too. there's not much Wobbuffet can do. I also beat toad tina twice, just using Regice
Congrats on your success! I'd imagine that sceptile ex sceptile AT deck that was archived a while back would be pretty potent against this deck. It has a mix of attackers that are energy efficient, exploit weakness and break through the lockdowns better than vespiquen can.

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
Congrats on your success! I'd imagine that sceptile ex sceptile AT deck that was archived a while back would be pretty potent against this deck. It has a mix of attackers that are energy efficient, exploit weakness and break through the lockdowns better than vespiquen can.

thanks
the most popular sceptile ex variant is just M sceptile ex, maybe with jirachi, virizion. regice handle it very well

PokeDad5

Aspiring Trainer
I'd be interested in seeing how this deck fairs against Greninja since that deck is becoming heavily popular as the price of Greninja Break has skyrocketed. I just dont see any KO power here unless you involved a Glaceon, but even then you're still only looking at max damage of 80 (with FFB) and it'll take at least 3 attacks from Glaceon EX to KO 1 Greninja for 1 prize card and that's if they dont retreat to heal up.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I'd be interested in seeing how this deck fairs against Greninja since that deck is becoming heavily popular as the price of Greninja Break has skyrocketed. I just dont see any KO power here unless you involved a Glaceon, but even then you're still only looking at max damage of 80 (with FFB) and it'll take at least 3 attacks from Glaceon EX to KO 1 Greninja for 1 prize card and that's if they dont retreat to heal up.
I think frogs can use giant water shurikens to take glaceon down quite easily, assuming they don't pick off other EXs on the bench.

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
I think frogs can use giant water shurikens to take glaceon down quite easily, assuming they don't pick off other EXs on the bench.
Against Greninja, the goal is to take 2-4 prizes off Froakie/Frogadier in the first two turns using Articuno.

Skeletons are based off of lists that have seen success. Hex seems like a reasonable option if you're especially concerned about Greninja, but hasn't established itself as a consistent part of top decks.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
Oh my Arceus. I was just looking at Water Box and wondering why it wasn't one the Metagame discussion. Could a single Suicune be helpful in this deck? Suicune could make Trevenant BREAK decks a little easier to beat, and can hit the magic 110 on Shaymin-EX and pre-BREAK Trevenant.

I've used Suicune. It's not bad, but there are better things to run, like Palkia EX.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
I'm Going to try playtesting this deck with archies empoleon gives the deck some much needed extra power and the Archie engine is pretty easy to add in. other than that i feel Glaceon is more potent then regice with the way things are currently as it gives you a more offensive option than Aegislash for beating Vespiquen and denies Greninja the ability to attack him while you can 2KO him with empoleon and FFB even after rough seas though GWS is still a problem. As for hoopa and 3 shaymins id much rather some extra room for dive balls and instead just use 2 shaymins saves bench space that way. playing to many shaymins is how Greninja and night march win most the time anyway

Gabking5458

2016 MA TCG Senior Division Regional Champion!
The only bad matchups I could see are Vespiquen/Vileplume and Greninja (Wally variant)