Discussion Meta Decks That Can Beat Jolteon-EX/Glaceon-EX Lock

ThePokemonSensei

ThePokemonSensei
What decks are there that are good in the current meta and can counter the Jolteon-EX/Glaceon-EX lock in the current standard TCG format?

Last edited by a moderator:

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
Any deck that runs two lysandre and four vs seeker can outplay a J/G lock. If they just keep a single pokemon out then you will need target whistles as well. Another option is just find some way to stall them and deck them out.

ThePokemonSensei

ThePokemonSensei
Any deck that runs two lysandre and four vs seeker can outplay a J/G lock. If they just keep a single pokemon out then you will need target whistles as well. Another option is just find some way to stall them and deck them out.

But like I need the best meta-game deck right now, if you can provide me with one

WastedSkyPirate

Hi @ThePokemonSensei

The current best decks in the format (BDIFs) are:
  • Night March
  • Trevenant
  • Greninja
  • Dark
  • Vespiquen/Vileplume
Out of the above, the one that probably best gets around the Jolteon-EX/Glaceon-EX "lock" is Greninja. Greninja BREAK can use multiple Giant Water Shuriken to get around Crystal Ray, so Glaceon-EX isn't much of a problem. Furthermore, running a couple of Jirachi (XY-P) gives you the option of discarding the opponent's DCEs and, potentially, breaking the "lock".

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

MewtwoberTCG

Vespiquen Player
Play any deck where the attack says "Prevent all effects of the Opponent's Active Pokemon"
If your worried about Mew play a Pokemon with the AT Stop or Garbodor.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Moved from the Deck Garage to the TCG Competitive Play as the OP is looking for subjective counters that has discussion value. ~bbninjas

Wil Yates

Itzyatzee
I've been playing around with a giratina build that's dealt with it well in my experience. With giratina's special energy lock it makes glaceon and jolteon take longer to power up. And if you play hydreigon ex, its attack isn't effected by effects on your opponent's active pokemon, so it'll still damage glaceon and jolteon (and other pokemon like regice, pyroar, jirachi, etc).

Chi-Town Master

Aspiring Trainer
Hi @ThePokemonSensei

The current best decks in the format (BDIFs) are:
  • Night March
  • Trevenant
  • Greninja
  • Dark
  • Vespiquen/Vileplume
Out of the above, the one that probably best gets around the Jolteon-EX/Glaceon-EX "lock" is Greninja. Greninja BREAK can use multiple Giant Water Shuriken to get around Crystal Ray, so Glaceon-EX isn't much of a problem. Furthermore, running a couple of Jirachi (XY-P) gives you the option of discarding the opponent's DCEs and, potentially, breaking the "lock".

Hope that helps.
I'm sitting on a somewhat 50-50 meta/rouge deck for Nats... Can't share but of your list of top decks mine has a 90-10 matchup against that whole list. But a 70-30 against Vileplume.

Last edited:

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
I'm sitting on a somewhat 50-50 meta/rogue deck for Nats... Can't share but of your list of top decks mine has a 90-10 matchup against that whole list. But a 70-30 against Vileplume.

let me guess, Wailord stall?

to OP, actually YZG doesn't care about the lock, they have a wide range of attackers, Yveltal, Yveltal EX, Zoroark, Gallade.

Gabking5458

2016 MA TCG Senior Division Regional Champion!
Night March does, as well as YGZ. YGZ has attackers of both evolved and basic form so it doesn't do much to try to lock them out. Night March plays target whistle + Lysandre so its pretty easy for them to win as well. Toadtina wasn't mentioned but with all of their hammer shenanigans, I've found it hard to beat them

ambo

Aspiring Trainer
I know for a fact that megaman jolteon destroys the mew lock as you have both attackers and have free retreat. Also if you can stream Hexs then it is an autowin.

Gabking5458

2016 MA TCG Senior Division Regional Champion!
I would say that jolteon/glaceon is kinda risky considering that Night March and Frogs both beat it.

Thepiguy

Stuck in Mt. Moon
Any deck that can rotate attacking with basics and evolution can do pretty well. M-ray/jolteon, YZG can both do this. Also night march and other decks that can easily find lysandre outs tend to do well from my experience against it.

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
It depends. The version I play has no evos outside of a 2-2 Octillery line. It's only real hope against Jolteon is to put it asleep with Articuno to break the lock.
Manaphy + Rough Seas can stall them out for deck out. Articuno can sometimes use Lysandre + Prior Damage to take multiple prizes (up to 3).

Mao999

Aspiring Trainer
I know there's a bit of hype around Fighting Varients, does anyone think it will be a top tier deck?
i think it's a good comeback: zygarde has the right hp to fit the role!
And just think that his first attack works as every stadium is a fighting stadium!
Maybe the zygarde bats could do his appearance!