Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
That moment you realize that all tool-detaching trainer cards in format are at risk of rotation :)

shinymewtwo3869

Aspiring Trainer
C'mon guys, Grumpig is absolutely irrelevant. We can just either not discard Joltik, or no one is going to play the deck. You guys are complaining about Grumpig, but no one plays Mega Latios with Target Whistle, which would R.I.P. Shaymin related decks. And Devolution Spray wasn't a problem in expanded, so why would it be a problem in standard?
My two cents- Garchomp will be our prerelease promo, calling it now. Look at how similar the style between this and Tornadus-EX were.
i was just starting to play test with night march

Infinity∞

Aspiring Trainer
Is the card designer so lazy? the lugia is just the same as bouffalant. Why do not they just remake the bouffalant and make the lugia break into bouffalant break? that more reasonable

festizzio

Desu
I don't understand how Alakazam's ability is going to work. Once it evolves, it no longer has that ability, so are you going to have to reveal M Alakazam from your hand and use the ability before evolving?

Exodus

TCG Innovator
Chaos Town is balanced, but will probably see situational use in some decks. Alakazam-EX and M Alakazam-EX seem kind of underwhelming, but they will probably find a home in some combo decks, especially with such a low attack cost like M Scizor-EX. I do think the low attack costs in exchange for more balanced effects is interesting on these new EXs considering the speed of the current format. Although, I wonder how much of an impact this set will have on the meta compared to sets like Primal Clash and Phantom Forces.

Max Breaker Black Special

Emerald BREAKER Theta MAX
the only reason i think they put the ability on the Alakazam is because they're sticking to the tradition of only 1 attack on Mega Evolution cards. anyway, i assume it will work the same as other evolution-triggered abilities like the ones on bats....

festizzio

Desu
the only reason i think they put the ability on the Alakazam is because they're sticking to the tradition of only 1 attack on Mega Evolution cards. anyway, i assume it will work the same as other evolution-triggered abilities like the ones on bats....
It's a little more complicated than that unfortunately...When Zubat evolves into Golbat, Golbat has the ability to add 2 damage counters. To be the same as Bats, and every other "When this Pokemon evolves etc..." ability, it would have to be on M Alakazam EX, not Alakazam EX. Once you place M Alakazam EX onto Alakazam EX and evolve it, it overwrites all traits on the original Alakazam EX. Therefore, it would no longer have the ability to activate.

It would need to say something like "Reveal M Alakazam EX from your hand. If you do, place 2 damage counters on the defending Pokemon and 3 damage counters on up to 1 of your opponent's benched Pokemon, then place M Alakazam EX onto Alakazam EX. This counts as evolving Alakazam EX. You cannot use this ability on your first turn or during the turn you play Alakazam EX." Just as an example. It would have to have some way to evolve into M Alakazam EX other than the standard evolution rule.

Celty

Somebody you used to know
Your eyes are dilated and you're looking at a screen, that's dedication right there *^*

That Azelf art is just beautiful~

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
I'm really liking all the cards they're making like this recently (Bronzong BRT, Trevenant BREAK BRP and Aegislash BRP), this will work really nice with all of them as a one-of or two-of I think, and probably with Forretress too. Seems like it's a cheaper, weaker Bronzong BRT but that's nothing bad.

Johto King

A typhlosion fan
How will we get this in the English TCG ? My geuss is an XY11 blister promo. Also will there be any Uxie or Mesprit promos coming?

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Yeah, usually those kinds of promos end up as 3-pack or checkout blisters.