Mythical Pokemon Magearna Revealed in English!

I actually guessed that this would be its English name. Too bad I didn't post it here, then I could shamelessly gloat about it. :p JK

Anyway, I think the name works, it's similar to the Japanese name, but easier to pronounce.

Ma-GEAR-Na

10/10
Totally creative
Not going to be a bad movie
Not another Big Pokemon Vs Small Pokemon + Wickness from humans plot
cough cough Giratina and the Sky Warrior, Jirachi Wish Maker, Black and White Movies cough cough

Steampunk meets Pokemon? Uh...okay I guess. Name is punny, but that's something we should've expected from GameFreak/Nintendo.

The movie has an interesting presence, so I'm intrigued a little bit more in this movie.

Nice Poke Ball dress there!

Now that you mention it, the design makes so much more sense in that it folds into a Poke Ball, Bakugan-style. Just look at the design -- the head folds down, the "wings" fold flush on the top, its legs pull into its body and the "dress" extend to meet each other. Boom, Poke Ball.

Hmmm... Magearna is a legendary Pokemon after all . So it's save to say Magearna come from gen 6.5(Pokemon Z) and not a brand new Pokemon from gen 7 .

It seems pretty clear to me that we'll run into Magearna in the PokéBall Factory just looking at its design and the whole "artificialness" of it.

I don't like its design. Magearna doesn't look like a Pokémon to me. This is probably down to the intentional artificial feel they went with here... but I still don't like it. Other "artificial" Pokémon like Genesect work very well, whereas Magearna just looks out of place.

This all makes me think that Magearna was a forced/rushed design. If we do get it in the PokéBall Factory, it's weird that it's not in the coding of XY like the other event legends are.

What about the Zygarde movie? Does this mean 2 Pokemon movies in the 20th anniversary?

Now that you mention it, the design makes so much more sense in that it folds into a Poke Ball, Bakugan-style. Just look at the design -- the head folds down, the "wings" fold flush on the top, its legs pull into its body and the "dress" extend to meet each other. Boom, Poke Ball.

That doesn't make any physical sense, at least not from how it looks; there's no way you could possibly bend the head, body and arms to fit beneath its skirt; plus, take a good look at the shape of the ears, it has a quarter of a circle as a cross-section, and an elongated quarter of an ellipse as the other two; it simply cannot fit in the open part of the dress.

I admit the patterns on the dress seem to point strongly at a pokeball shape, but unless it makes some genesect-like contortions and panels open or something, it simply can't have a pokeball shape.

That doesn't make any physical sense, at least not from how it looks; there's no way you could possibly bend the head, body and arms to fit beneath its skirt; plus, take a good look at the shape of the ears, it has a quarter of a circle as a cross-section, and an elongated quarter of an ellipse as the other two; it simply cannot fit in the open part of the dress.

I admit the patterns on the dress seem to point strongly at a pokeball shape, but unless it makes some genesect-like contortions and panels open or something, it simply can't have a pokeball shape.

You're missing the part that the "ears" ARE the missing lower plates of the Pokeball shape.

I actually guessed that this would be its English name. Too bad I didn't post it here, then I could shamelessly gloat about it. :p JK

LOL dito.

Well...I did explain to people that the GIA part is supposed to be gear (because people were jumping to magic at first for some reason), so I guess I did it indirectly xD

You're missing the part that the "ears" ARE the missing lower plates of the Pokeball shape.

And unless the perspective on this is wrong, roughly half of the lower hemisphere is open, while both ears, when you put them together, form a shorter arc, roughly a semi-ellipse. A quarter of a sphere and a semi-ellipse don't make a full sphere.
Not to mention that it isn't made explicit just how you could place something that is on the very crown of the head past the giant gear of the head, the body, the rather long arms (and the wide shoulders) and the upper hemisphere inside the dress so the ears fit into the hole.

Believe me, sometimes, a cube just doesn't go into the obvious cube-shaped hole; it's a common formal operation, to subtract a volume from another volume and place it somewhere else.

I'm not saying it's definitive (the pokeball patterning is very suggestive, which is why everyone is so convinced; I assure you that without it, nobody would notice the shape of the ears), but from what little we can see, I don't think the ears have the necessary profile, or the means, to fit down there.

And unless the perspective on this is wrong, roughly half of the lower hemisphere is open, while both ears, when you put them together, form a shorter arc, roughly a semi-ellipse. A quarter of a sphere and a semi-ellipse don't make a full sphere.
Not to mention that it isn't made explicit just how you could place something that is on the very crown of the head past the giant gear of the head, the body, the rather long arms (and the wide shoulders) and the upper hemisphere inside the dress so the ears fit into the hole.

Believe me, sometimes, a cube just doesn't go into the obvious cube-shaped hole; it's a common formal operation, to subtract a volume from another volume and place it somewhere else.

I'm not saying it's definitive (the pokeball patterning is very suggestive, which is why everyone is so convinced; I assure you that without it, nobody would notice the shape of the ears), but from what little we can see, I don't think the ears have the necessary profile, or the means, to fit down there.

You also forget -- this is an anime robot from 500 years ago. Anime being the operative word. ;)

But for argument's sake, you mentioned its arms and where they would go -- they could simply wrap their way around the base of the sphere to close off what the "ears" didn't. The head can fold forward and sink downward with its "torso" with the help of clear moving parts at its torso's base, closing itself off with its ears and its arms.

As for the lower torso, I already stated that it could close up. They look rather like the doors to a garage, or one of those storage boxes that you can rent (the name escapes me for the moment). At the very least, they look segmented, meaning that they have the potential to extend or at least move.

What bugs me is that this Pokemon was made 500 years in the past, clearly in the time of Pokemon Steampunk. Why design Magearna to look like a Poke Ball if they didn't have the technology to build one let alone have the concept of one? Unless Magearna was a pseudo-prototype for a Poke Ball or at least the basis for one as it has capturing abilities, as per the "mysterious power" that it holds. (Actually, that would be cool, having a Pokemon that catches other Pokemon through an attack and doesn't require the use of a Poke Ball.) Unless Celebi pulled a "Bootstrap Paradox" and brought a PokeBall back in time. :p

Back