'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

tototavros

Aspiring Trainer
Gallade would allow you to abuse Night March, allowing you to go Ether/Basic Energy instead of relying on 4 DCE.

Kenneth Ecker

Aspiring Trainer
News Staff
Kind of reminds me of Imakuni. Not exactly sure how useful this will actually be, but it is a neat Ability nonetheless.

Hornleach1

Aspiring Trainer
That Haunter doesn't look too bad for a stage 1 evolution bridge and it doesn't specify that it needs to be played from hand so wally = turn one confusion.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Niche use in AT Malamar Decks.

The Rainbow Energy + DCE reprint means another 2 years of them, which is fine

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I've found Confusion a really underestimated special condition. I've noticed that players are often very hesitant to attack when confused in the prospect of potentially giving your opponent a KO that wouldn't happen otherwise, and has a decent chance of preventing attacking, like Paralysis.

So yeah, I like this Haunter.

zorinjarkraiveltal

Shadow Trainer
Welp, by the looks of it, no special water energy for Glalie. Parallel City is 58 and Rainbow Energy is 59...

Unless they place it in Red Impact for annoying reasons.

CYL

All hail Eevee!
I've found Confusion a really underestimated special condition. I've noticed that players are often very hesitant to attack when confused in the prospect of potentially giving your opponent a KO that wouldn't happen otherwise, and has a decent chance of preventing attacking, like Paralysis.

Agreed. Often, I pull a Confusion on an EX and end up knocking it out.
It's more psychological than paralysis - players become afraid to make that choice, which works in your favour.

Shiny Xard

'Cuz why not.
Sigh

I hate to say this, but the artwork on Haunter and this whole set in general, is just....bad.

One of the two Mewtwo EX's has the derpiest artwork in history, and all of the other Mewtwo cards don't look that special.

Glalie EX's artwork is unbearably bland. I know its a Pokemon that's really just a ball, but making the whole card blue doesn't fix anything.

Really, out of all of the cards that have been revealed so far, the only good one is Mega Glalie EX, which looks a ton better than the non-mega form.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I actually really like the Haunter artwork; it's cute and lively and different from the typical Haunter art, which is nice. I do agree about most of the art in this set being "meh" so far, though. I'm hoping the Full Arts will make up for it.

Otaku

The wise fool?

Confusion used to be one of the best Special Conditions, namely under the original rules: while it was "goofy" that it did damage (and thus applied damage modifiers, including Weakness and Resistance) the big difference was that you also had to flip a coin to retreat and if "tails", your attempt at retreating failed and you couldn't try again. This was when you could retreat as often as you wished during your turn, so it was a pretty big deal.

Being able to retreat without issue makes it a lot easier to shake off, but then again we've had so many tricks lately it wouldn't have made a major difference. Regardless, it is good to see a transitional Stage 1 "do something"; while it hits all Active Pokémon, shaking the condition on your own turn in a deck prepared for it shouldn't be a huge bother.

asdjklghty

-------------
Hopefully Steel still sees major play so Steel Shelter nullifies all this card's doings.

Why does Haunter confuse itself in active?
To "balance things out" by not being "one sided". TPCi has been trying too hard to make things affect both players, making the strategies not as good as they could be. I think this is in response to the Toad.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
I'm really loving the art on this one~ It's so cute and stylized. I would love to see more art like that in the future.

Kalyst

Aspiring Trainer
I kind of like this little guy! I was mad disappointed when they didn't print an Imakuni type Supporter or Item that auto confused because I wanted to use the XY Inkay with the Evo ability to go into Malamar quicker. But now we get this guy and I'm sure they'll make a nasty Gengar to go along with him. Plus hey he doesn't get stopped by Wobb, so that's a thing.

Yay for Rainbow for another few years! Happy with my League Promo WOTC playset I have I picked up a while ago.

MegaButterfree

Old Timer
Sigh

I hate to say this, but the artwork on Haunter and this whole set in general, is just....bad.

One of the two Mewtwo EX's has the derpiest artwork in history, and all of the other Mewtwo cards don't look that special.

Glalie EX's artwork is unbearably bland. I know its a Pokemon that's really just a ball, but making the whole card blue doesn't fix anything.

Really, out of all of the cards that have been revealed so far, the only good one is Mega Glalie EX, which looks a ton better than the non-mega form.

That's exactly what I was thinking...much of the artwork in this set so far really misses the mark...and quite a few almost seem like bootleg-grade illustrations.