TCG Fakes Zygarde's Image-Based Cards - Happy Birthday card!

If I may make a suggestion, Zygarde, I think the font for the name of the Supporter isn't quite as bold and obvious as it probably should be. Perhaps a bold version of the same font?

As for Yveltal, I don't think the Poké-Power is anywhere near as powerful as some of what we have in the format today. The full-HP rule is a nice touch. Coupled with the 1-at-a-time Legendary rule, you have a very balanced card.

Consider Lost World, for example. People go crazy when they see "you may choose to win the game", but Lost World never ended up being overpowered in the slightest. I know the text is drastically different, but the theory is the same. If you have enough balancing factors, especially if your opponent can influence the result in some way (in this case, by not OHKOing it), it's not going to be the best card in format.

I have a question as well – if Yveltal is OHKO'd as the last Prize your opponent takes, do we have a sudden death match, or does one activate before the other?

The only thing that bothers me (maybe I'm the only one) is the special border for some types. For example, Ice Pokémon has a different border, but they are still Water Pokémon. I wish they'd be either completely different type, or just would have the same border as the Water Pokémon.
I wanted Welkin to be as aesthetically pleasant as playable, so I went with custom textures for non-TCG types. Regarding Ice Pokémon, the texture is actually a nice way to instantly know that it has a Metal weakness. The same goes for Ground and Lightning resistance and so on. Thanks for commenting, glad you liked both aspects of the set (graphical and playability).

That Yveltal is very very VERY overpowered. I like what you're doing, trying to create alternate win conditions, but that one strikes me as incredibly unbalanced. Quad Yveltal anyone?
Like others said, you can't have more than 1 Yveltal in play at the same time, so running quad Yveltal is not actually possible :p Since the winning condition is entirely up to your opponent to trigger, it isn't such a broken card.

If I may make a suggestion, Zygarde, I think the font for the name of the Supporter isn't quite as bold and obvious as it probably should be. Perhaps a bold version of the same font?

As for Yveltal, I don't think the Poké-Power is anywhere near as powerful as some of what we have in the format today. The full-HP rule is a nice touch. Coupled with the 1-at-a-time Legendary rule, you have a very balanced card.

I have a question as well – if Yveltal is OHKO'd as the last Prize your opponent takes, do we have a sudden death match, or does one activate before the other?
I realized that the font isn't as obvious as it should, it happened cause I overlooked that when making the Supporter/Stadium/Item bar >.> Maybe on a future set I'll try to fix that.

Glad you liked Yveltal! Since the power triggers before Yveltal is knocked out (since it says 'when it would be' rather than 'when it is'), the Yveltal player would still win.

Actually Lost World was the whole basis for my Legendary Pokémon cards, and I'm thinking about making a Giratina on a future set with a power that works like that.

Thanks for all the replies folks! I'll have to slow down working on Welkin, but expect sporadic updates.

I wanted Welkin to be as aesthetically pleasant as playable, so I went with custom textures for non-TCG types. Regarding Ice Pokémon, the texture is actually a nice way to instantly know that it has a Metal weakness. The same goes for Ground and Lightning resistance and so on. Thanks for commenting, glad you liked both aspects of the set (graphical and playability).

Like others said, you can't have more than 1 Yveltal in play at the same time, so running quad Yveltal is not actually possible :p Since the winning condition is entirely up to your opponent to trigger, it isn't such a broken card.

I realized that the font isn't as obvious as it should, it happened cause I overlooked that when making the Supporter/Stadium/Item bar >.> Maybe on a future set I'll try to fix that.

Glad you liked Yveltal! Since the power triggers before Yveltal is knocked out (since it says 'when it would be' rather than 'when it is'), the Yveltal player would still win.

Actually Lost World was the whole basis for my Legendary Pokémon cards, and I'm thinking about making a Giratina on a future set with a power that works like that.

Thanks for all the replies folks! I'll have to slow down working on Welkin, but expect sporadic updates.
Sorry, didn't catch that. Also, may I ask what blanks you're using?

31%20coacutepia_zpsnp92uqx1.png
32%20coacutepia_zpsewep39ae.png
34%20coacutepia_zpstkdk8u8a.png
36%20coacutepia_zpstdefmxch.png
Nothing too special. If you're wondering why in the world Sentret is an uncommon, is because I forgot to include it and had 2 Scyther on the set list instead. So now we have a common Scyther and an uncommon Sentret, ugh.

10%20coacutepia_zps7ajv9wvk.png
29%20coacutepia_zpsytjjb2me.png
38%20coacutepia_zpsfo5cpd8y.png
58%20coacutepia_zpst6kf42dw.png

Honchkrow and Weezing are some of the most powerful disruption available in Welkin.
Honchkrow's power combined with Illex Forest can reduce your opponent's hand down to 4. You can combo the attack with other Pokémon to get some serious disruption going on.
Weezing is my tentative to balance Trainer lock (specifically Supporters). I hope it is enough.
Machoke is boring filler and Energy Retrieval is the same as the older version.

I really think that you need to use white text for Weezing's blank. I couldn't actually see the HP in the light I'm in; I have to tilt the screen in the right direction. Other than that, I like how Honchkrow and Weezing are the most powerful, as they aren't too broken either. I like the way you nerfed Weezing; very cool ^_^

I really think that you need to use white text for Weezing's blank. I couldn't actually see the HP in the light I'm in; I have to tilt the screen in the right direction. Other than that, I like how Honchkrow and Weezing are the most powerful, as they aren't too broken either. I like the way you nerfed Weezing; very cool ^_^
I feel you, I agree about the blank. I don't know why, but on CMP's Neo Redux cards that issue never happened oO I don't wanna ruin the texture by making it lighter, but using white text will turn the attacks/powers instead impossible to read :/

Since I'm only 13 cards away from finishing Welkin, how bout a sneak peak on what's to come?
001_zpsm77gfub9.png
004_zpss6hsecnb.png
007%20coacutepia_zps48tkc59s.png
I've always wanted to do a Pokédex style set, like Neo Redux, that included all types. Since Metagross101 finished his Ecard blanks, that is now possible! The reason I'm going with these blanks instead of asche's is because they come with every type and I know asche doesn't like people messing up his blanks.

Enjoy!

More random cards!

MmewtwoX%20coacutepia_zpssaty1wta.png
Other than the missing japanese text I'm pretty happy with how this came out. I still have no clue on how to make te texture on the card border and evo circle look good though.

The texture on the purple parts I made using a tutorial by Nekoban Ryo that I posted on page 4 of this thread, in Gimp.
But I guess you meant the gold line right? I used Photoshop on that, using the Magic Wand tool. I think the Gimp equivalent is called Fuzzy Selection. I'll try to replicate it with Gimp then I'll get back to you.

That's a very nice-looking card, Zygarde!

A few things regarding Full Arts/Megas/Full Art Megas:
–The attack symbols and w/r/r symbols are textured, but the Energy symbol near the HP is not.
–There is no stroke on the "Evolves from" text.
–The holosheet goes above the art, below the text.
–On Megas, there is always a vectored effect going around the art, even on the Full Arts. This takes a different color on different Megas; pink on Mega Rayquaza [C], blue on Mega Rayquaza [N], yellow on Mega Charizard-X, etc. Check the scans and you'll see what I mean.
–According to asche, the evo icon should have a bevel effect (Layer>Layer Styles>Bevel & Emboss) and also a slight shadow.

And the 3D text, but naturally that's immensely hard to do.

Overall, a fantastic fake!

The HP symbol is textured, all icons are; it just doesn't have the white border is all - every other icon should have the white border however :)

Prolly less color dodge though next time Zy, has come out well regardless. FA's alone are hard enough, but Mega FA's are the hardest to do. I'm on/off doing Mega Mewywo Y atm, without textures (promo-esque).

Might do one with though after the house move.

@aschefield101 I just saw your MMewtwo Y and it looks awesome.
@Jabberwock I'll try to keep that in mind. Your CaC entry surely looks much more accurate!

So guys, I'm having trouble designing the last Supporter card for Welkin. I'm considering making it a Lysandre reprint. Do you think it is a balanced card?

In my opinion, Lysandre is a very healthy card for the metagame; so long as he isn't up to his trump card tricks. I think in general, when you reprint a Trainer card from the Classic series as a Supporter (i.e. Gust of Wind -> Lysandre, Energy Removal -> Xerosic (ish), Professor Oak -> Professor Juniper/Sycamore, etc.), it's not going to be too good or bad.

And thanks. :)

Ok, it's been settled then! And talking about Supporters, I was bored so I made this:

72fa%20copy_zpsob3fs7ju.png

Nothing special. I was very lazy to not include textures to her body and clothing. However, those are different from the textures used on Pokémon full art cards and I have no idea how to replicate them.

Nothing special. I was very lazy to not include textures to her body and clothing. However, those are different from the textures used on Pokémon full art cards and I have no idea how to replicate them.
Well, I'm not Asche, but I think Filter > Grain or Filter > Film Grain would do nicely for that. Perhaps a layer style change would also be in order, but I'm not as experienced at that.

Interestingly, FA Supporters don't use the gold lines. I'm assuming this is because their eyes would then look scary. :p

Ok, it's been settled then! And talking about Supporters, I was bored so I made this:

72fa%20copy_zpsob3fs7ju.png

I don't think you are allowed to use that effect. Trust me, I had the same effect for an attack and a couple people corrected me. You would need to add a new Legendary Pokemon mechanic for this to work. I believe this is because Pokemon like Phione and Rotom are considered legendary by some, non-legendary by others.

I don't think you are allowed to use that effect. Trust me, I had the same effect for an attack and a couple people corrected me. You would need to add a new Legendary Pokemon mechanic for this to work. I believe this is because Pokemon like Phione and Rotom are considered legendary by some, non-legendary by others.
Legendary Pokemon is actually a mechanic that Zygarde has made :p See Yveltal and Ho-oh for examples.

Well, I'm not Asche, but I think Filter > Grain or Filter > Film Grain would do nicely for that. Perhaps a layer style change would also be in order, but I'm not as experienced at that.

Interestingly, FA Supporters don't use the gold lines. I'm assuming this is because their eyes would then look scary. :p

Yes! That's exactly the filter I was looking for! Thanks a lot. And yep, I realize that Supporters lack the gold line, but with the gold line over the original art it becomes so much easier to hide little errors on the textures (which I ended up not even using lol).

Also, I'm gonna try the sketchier Scyther avatar you made soon, I just couldn't resist all the current Zygarde hype :p

Back