Art Gallery Steffenka's Card Artworks - Dragoon Island!

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
This is a showcase of small hand drawn Pokemon artworks that could be features on cards. I plan on drawing all Pokemon (including various forms and megas), and some will even have "lv.X" artworks. These artworks will be PokeBeach exclusive, meaning that they will not be posted on my DeviantArt.

You can find my DeviantArt, which includes Fakemon, Fake Megas and more here: http://steffenka.deviantart.com/

"Rarities" are also next to the artwork, just for fun, so I (and others) know what would have been holos and so on. I hope you'll enjoy my artwork, and feel free to request Pokemon!

Here's the artworks!
396_398_by_steffenka-d9008dv.jpg

669_671_by_steffenka-d904kqy.jpg

708_709__214___214m_by_steffenka-d90lcbp.jpg

702__433__618__358__006m_by_steffenka-d90lcd2.jpg

649__377_by_steffenka-d90tis4.jpg

570_571__619_620_by_steffenka-d90yila.jpg

124__238__698_699_by_steffenka-d919ctj.jpg

418_419__710_711_by_steffenka-d91dqn3.jpg

150___150m_by_steffenka-d91wfqx.jpg

597_598__120_121_by_steffenka-d92mjis.jpg

561__328_330__562_563_by_steffenka-d92788d.jpg

679_681__684_685_by_steffenka-d935btm.jpg

420_421__046_047_by_steffenka-d93kh6r.jpg

249__144__145__146__083_by_steffenka-d94rdq4.jpg

550__594_by_steffenka-d95i9np.jpg

172__025_026_by_steffenka-d95x0s7.jpg

361_362___362m__478_by_steffenka-d96pr1k.jpg

519_521_by_steffenka-d96tayr.jpg

214___214m_by_steffenka-d97ko10.jpg

679_681_by_steffenka-d98lgcs.jpg

meowstic_break_by_steffenka-d992f8w.jpg

006m__704__470__720__227_by_steffenka-d99zttt.jpg

718__513_514_by_steffenka-d9bjfy6.jpg

714_715_by_steffenka-d9br90s.jpg

352_by_steffenka-d9ckl00.jpg

rocket_pt__1_by_steffenka-d9d61d5.jpg

aqua_pt__1_by_steffenka-d9eax2u.jpg

magma_pt__1_by_steffenka-d9gmbeu.jpg

shiftry_break_pack_by_steffenka-d9j34kv.jpg

darmanitan_break_pack_by_steffenka-d9jzecd.jpg

regigigas_by_steffenka-d9knpqy.jpg

glittery_points__1__by_steffenka-d9l9sxh.jpg

glittery_points__2__by_steffenka-d9na8oy.jpg

glittery_points__3__by_steffenka-d9t1i85.jpg

glittery_points__4__by_steffenka-d9vjk9l.jpg

pokken_miniset__1__by_steffenka-d9ya32y.jpg

glittery_points__5__by_steffenka-da23ojv.jpg

mega_abomasnow_sketch_by_steffenka-da3523o.jpg

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
These are very nice, steffenka! It's not often that I see art designed specifically for cards, especially non-computer-rendered LV.X-style work. I'd love to use them at some point, if you don't mind – I'm still in need of a ton of artwork for my fake sets, if I don't want to make everything myself, which is a failsafe that would take too long.

While I understand it's your style to use what appears to be colored pencils for coloring (correct me if I'm wrong), I think you could achieve brighter, bolder colors more characteristic of actual cards if you colored/shaded digitally. I remember seeing Xous's tutorial for that in a thread here, as well as on his dA, and I learned from that (although I still can't get shading right).

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
These are very nice, steffenka! It's not often that I see art designed specifically for cards, especially non-computer-rendered LV.X-style work. I'd love to use them at some point, if you don't mind – I'm still in need of a ton of artwork for my fake sets, if I don't want to make everything myself, which is a failsafe that would take too long.

While I understand it's your style to use what appears to be colored pencils for coloring (correct me if I'm wrong), I think you could achieve brighter, bolder colors more characteristic of actual cards if you colored/shaded digitally. I remember seeing Xous's tutorial for that in a thread here, as well as on his dA, and I learned from that (although I still can't get shading right).

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Thank you! Yes of course you may use them, all I want is a little credit ^^
The thing about doing it digitally is that I absolutely suck when it comes to anything with computers, let alone art. I have tried following tutorials before, and it just when horribly and seeing that I've used coloured pencils for years, I prefer to draw them in hand. If you want to, feel free to colour/shade them digitally ^^

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
OK, I tried to recolor Starly in Photoshop, and it didn't turn out very well. The biggest problem, I think, is that a crucial Photoshop tool doesn't work with them. The Threshold adjustment changes every pixel in the image to either black or white. Normally, one scans an uncolored version with inked linework, uses the threshold tool, and then colors digitally. This doesn't quite work when the image is already colored, however, since what you want to be white may be changed to black instead.
I think it would work if you used ink for linework rather than pencil. That way, there would be enough of a contrast between the lines and the color for me to adjust the settings on Threshold, and it would differentiate between them. I think it would also be good for your work in general to have inked lines.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
OK, I tried to recolor Starly in Photoshop, and it didn't turn out very well. The biggest problem, I think, is that a crucial Photoshop tool doesn't work with them. The Threshold adjustment changes every pixel in the image to either black or white. Normally, one scans an uncolored version with inked linework, uses the threshold tool, and then colors digitally. This doesn't quite work when the image is already colored, however, since what you want to be white may be changed to black instead.
I think it would work if you used ink for linework rather than pencil. That way, there would be enough of a contrast between the lines and the color for me to adjust the settings on Threshold, and it would differentiate between them. I think it would also be good for your work in general to have inked lines.
The problem with drawing up with a pen is, that I sometimes feel that it ruins the artwork :/
I'll try to draw the ones I feel like it would look good on up, but it won't be all of them ^^;

Delta

Selling colourful Pokemon to Celadon Game Corner
I'm surprised I never planned when I drew card art. I just winged it and hoped it would fit. Nice planning and your poses look good too!

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I'm surprised I never planned when I drew card art. I just winged it and hoped it would fit. Nice planning and your poses look good too!
Thank you! I generally try to fit the Pokemon in the picture, just so that it's recognizable. But I also want it to fit in with the different "styles" I try to use :)

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Oooo! I think I saw you do a few of these things on Devianart, and I really loved them! Would I be able to trace these into computer graphics?

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Oooo! I think I saw you do a few of these things on Devianart, and I really loved them! Would I be able to trace these into computer graphics?
Sure go ahead! I did do something like this on Deviantart, but it was with my own Fakemon and not (that many) Pokemon ;)

Reggie McGigas

-
These look really cool! Maybe I should try my hand at these, since I can't make cards right now on my backup computer and I don't have anything better to do.

As for a request? How about Regirock and Genesect?

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
These look really cool! Maybe I should try my hand at these, since I can't make cards right now on my backup computer and I don't have anything better to do.

As for a request? How about Regirock and Genesect?

I have the next few finished, but I'll start them asap! :)
Anyways here's the next artworks!

669_671_by_steffenka-d904kqy.jpg

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I really like the darker outline on the latter two members of the Florges line, as I find it really accents the Pokemon. I also find the Floette outline a little too black, but I really like how the Florges is darker versions of the shape's fill colour.

I do believe that these are all original poses. How do you make your poses look neat and realistic, unlike mine which are always unproportionate and ugly?

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I really like the darker outline on the latter two members of the Florges line, as I find it really accents the Pokemon. I also find the Floette outline a little too black, but I really like how the Florges is darker versions of the shape's fill colour.

I do believe that these are all original poses. How do you make your poses look neat and realistic, unlike mine which are always unproportionate and ugly?
Thank you, and yes they are all original :)
When doing poses I usually have a "vision" of what it should look like in my head, and work from there. If it's a pose that I know has been used in a real card, I usually use that card to compare (example Staraptor and Unfezant AT). When sketching the poses, I usually focus on angles and bodyparts (not making them too thick or thin), and I always have the Ken Sugimori artwork next to me to compare with and look at. Hope it helps a little :3

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Next up:
708_709__214___214m_by_steffenka-d90lcbp.jpg

The Trevenant looks a bit like there's too much going on, but I still like it :3
Currently working on @Reggie McGigas request, so expect that after the next piece :D

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I don't think you can have too much going on in a Pokémon card art piece! I struggle to find details to fit the background on my works, and I think you handled it very well with Trevenant.

Oh, and as long as you're taking requests, I could use Zoroark and Mienshao art for my set.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I don't think you can have too much going on in a Pokémon card art piece! I struggle to find details to fit the background on my works, and I think you handled it very well with Trevenant.

Oh, and as long as you're taking requests, I could use Zoroark and Mienshao art for my set.
Thank you! Would you mind if the Zoroark was the other perspective from the artwork?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Hm. Trevenant doesn't exist in Unova at the time of BW, but then again, why not? I never said the set was at the time of BW. As has been shown in BW2, non-native Pokémon have found their way to Unova. Sure, I wouldn't mind at all. If you could show the Route 20 sign from the back or something, though, so it could be anything, that would be great. If you'd rather make it prominent, no big deal. Thanks!

JiJi-T

ID [ Dream ] We all are living in a dream!
@steffenka , Hi I see some nice work from you here too! I like the most of them what you draw for the Fakécards! Keep on going! :D