Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Wait a minute, I thought that it was a required law that every Gardevoir card becomes amazing. This one is just kind of average. I mean, it's just a free Fresh Water Set each turn, and without a single good spread deck out right now aside from Primal Kyogre-EX and M. Gallade-EX, I just can't see this ever being even slightly good.
I'm guessing that an Ancient Trait Gardevoir will be in this set and be MUCH better than this one. We can't even let 1 set have a Gardevoir line that is unplayable!

Sorry guys, but I don't think Fairy will ever be every good, at least not now. But even a few rotations later, this will most likely be rotated out with the other stuff that's hindering them from rising now.

The majority of you like the artwork but why isn't TPCi making Fiary fiable? They seemed to have some hype for it last year with it being a new type in the TCG but now, they're just getting lazy with them.

This card has extremely low HP, an Ability that may work if the game was more friendly to non-OHKO decks and a horrible expensive attack. All of these, combined with that fact that evolutions take more space in your deck, make this card pretty bad IMO. Even Primal Kyogre EX won't benefit from this deck and even that deck is crammed for space.

Eh, this might see some play in the future depending on what we get. I don't know, to be honest.

The Pokemon herself is shiny, I think, judging from other bits of artwork we've gotten. For instance: Black Rayquaza, Shiny Primal Groudon, et cetera. This may very well be a set where random Pokemon are shiny, albeit not mentioned on the card, like those shiny Pokemon we got in the Diamond and Pearl era.

Eh, this might see some play in the future depending on what we get. I don't know, to be honest.

The Pokemon herself is shiny, I think, judging from other bits of artwork we've gotten. For instance: Black Rayquaza, Shiny Primal Groudon, et cetera. This may very well be a set where random Pokemon are shiny, albeit not mentioned on the card, like those shiny Pokemon we got in the Diamond and Pearl era.

gardevoir are not exclusively female and with no sexual dimorphism you can't determine the gender on the card.

Gardevoir is not shiny on that card...

It looks quite close, but I'm not saying it is.

I'm just making the supposition that, with the shiny Groudon, Ray and more than likely other shinies in this set, it wouldn't surprsie me if that is the case. Plus, it wouldn't be the first time we would have had a card that is shiny not being labeled as such.

gardevoir are not exclusively female and with no sexual dimorphism you can't determine the gender on the card.

Yes, I know, but a man can dream. ;)

It is true, the horn colours don't quite align with the shiny colourings but that Gardevoir is distinctively blue. Just like the AT Golurk is distinctively silver but other parts don't quite add up. It just starts to look like they've screwed the pallets up.

Most Pokemon are referred to as "he", even if they can be either gender, which is most pokemon. It's simple enough to say that there are enough feminine features on gardevior to safely refer to "it" as a "her".

Besides which, the Gardevior has some great art, with fantastic lighting. Too bad the move is mediocre, and the ability is nice but hard to get running well. Still hoping for an AT card.

Artwork: Wow this looks amazing. TOKIYA has done a fantastic job over the years and even though TOKIYA hasn't don a whole lot, the record speaks for itself (Rhyperior HA, Unfezant HA, Team Magma's Aggron). TOKIYA captures the grace and power that Gardevoir possesses. I raelly hope that the rest of the set has just as good artwork and twitter isn't just hyping us with the best the set has to offer. 9/10

Card text: Wow people are quick to dismiss or overhype a card without een considerfing how the format can shift with the entirety of a new set being included (not just 30 cards, there is so much more we can see). We have seen this ability redone over the years but this is the strongest it has been. Even in previous formats of heavy hitters, damage manipulation and wide-spread healing existed, we have both of those still in the form of Dusknoir and now this Gardvoir, just throw up an attacker that your opponent will have trouble OHKO'ing and you have a very annoying deck (slow, but annoying should be slow, not fast like Toad). I like it, and I can't wait to see what the rest of the set has to offer. 6/10

OVerall: 7.5/10 Large bench healers have had a place with Vileplume and damage manipulation cards for a long time, even in stage 2 unfriendly environment so I wouldn't write this card off so quickly.

It's highly unlikely that we'll get an AT Gardevoir. That Gardevoir is a Holo Rare, and we've never had an Ancient Trait + Regular Card both as Holo Rare, or with the Regular being Holo Rare while the AT one is a regular Rare.

This in expanded would make that Crustle/Reuniclus deck more fun than it already is. :p Though Serperior is still better since it happens in between turns.

I love the artwork on the card. It's too bad that's the best thing on the card. The ability could have been a lot better (this is the same Pokémon who let one psychic energy act as two in NXD)http://pokebeach.com/media/Gardevoir-Next-Destinies-57.jpg while the attack is rather limited, especially for a stage 2. It does have the slight bright side of targeting any opponents Pokémon and ignoring resistance (weakness to sadly).

Given the fairies already have energy transfer (via Aromatiasse) and a chance for status block (via Slurpuff's Sweet Veil) I think it would only have been fitting to make this Gardevoir have a fairy version of psychic transfer like NXD.

Still gets a place in my binder because it's the only non fairy EX Gardevoir right now.

It's highly unlikely that we'll get an AT Gardevoir. That Gardevoir is a Holo Rare, and we've never had an Ancient Trait + Regular Card both as Holo Rare, or with the Regular being Holo Rare while the AT one is a regular Rare.

There was Medicham and Ludicolo in Primal Clash, which both had a holo regular and a non-holo AT, those are however the only ones, so it is possible that we'll get an AT Gardevoir.

Love the art! So far this set is looking to have the best artwork of the XY era, imo.

I also really like the card. I know people consider healing to be nearly pointless in our OHKO-heavy format, but I've had great luck with Rough Seas the past few weeks in testing various electric decks, so I've become a believer in healing once again. :p

Also, her attack, which isn't fantastic but has its uses, costs only colorless, so she isn't limited to decks that run Fairy NRG. I think that increases her potential a bit.

Plus, from the looks of it, Bright Heals will stack.

Still, I take back my guess of an Ancient Trait Gardevoir... Usually, the AT cards are better than the regular cards, which is why they have a higher rarity... This one being holo, kinda rules out an AT variant... Unless the AT card is psychic, which could also be holo... Anyway, being such a subpar card, I'd guess the only reason it is holo it's simply because it's the first fairy-type regular Gardevoir card...

Actually grovylekid, Azumarill is the exact opposite. It had a holo AT card and a regular rare card, not a holo rare and a non holo AT.

Back