Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Paint Roller looks decent for decks that have troubles with certain stadium cards. it is also a nice counter to Primal Groudon Ex. Nice to see that we will recieve some more Eeveelutions. Jolteon looks interesting but the attack cost could hurt. Not sure on Vileplume. Could work in a beatdown oriented lock deck to block items such as hammers but it would also slow down these decks and the three reteat sure is an issue.

Sayamilky

Aspiring Trainer
Trainer lock won't be leaving for a while. And it might be what the format needs to slow down since we have a lot of speed items now. I love that Jolteon though! Seems great!

I'd like to see Paint Roller used to discard your own Sky Fields just so you can get benched Shaymin EXs into the discard and Trump Card them back! :) Then you can reuse them again.

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
Paint Roller? This wouldn't happen to have anything do with Splatoon coming out in a few days would it? :p

I like this new Jolteon, finally a playable one!

Interesting that they're bringing Vileplume Undaunted back. I don't think it will be played right away, but I'm sure it will be good in due time.

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
Nooo way... why? why more item lock? The truth returns >.> Darn it... finally megas are playable and then this happens... --.--

scuba steveE

Absolute
Possible dumb question incoming, but does Jolteon's ability make stage 1 Lighting Pokemon double Lighting type? That's really funny if so...

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Possible dumb question incoming, but does Jolteon's ability make stage 1 Lighting Pokemon double Lighting type? That's really funny if so...
No, of course.

Jolteon could be quite good at countering Rayquaza-EX/M-Rayquaza-EX!

a) Magcargo (Primal Clash 24)= 1HKO (even on M-Rayquaza-EX) with Indomitable Blaze, it could be quite fast thanks to Fire support (Fiery Torch/Blacksmith);
b) Whiscash (Primal Clash 41)= 1HKO (even on M-Rayquaza-EX) with Earthquake, and it could be fast too thanks to its "α Growth";
c) Avalugg (Flashfire 31) it's quite slow, but its Shatter attack can 1HKO Rayquaza-EX and discard a Stadium, so you can discard a Sky Field and totally ruin your opponent's strategy for a while;

...and maybe we will have some good Stage 1 Pokémon in Ancient Origins itself! ;)

Last edited:

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Incoming Broken Time-Space reprint...? I mean it would make sense considering Hoopa's abilities...

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
Get ready for the 2015-2016 return of "THE TRUTH" style decks.

Vileplume is back, and I can't be happier. We may of lost Reuiniclus in rotation but there is still hope in the form of the Flash Fire Dusknoir, though it is a bit weaker. get 2 set up on the bench, so you can AZ or Cassius when one looks like its got enough damage on it.

Cobalion from Noble Victories/ Legendary Treasures also has the attack Iron breaker to prevent the opponent from attacking at all, which combo's nicely with the item lock from Vileplume.

If you wanted to be even more trollish, you could use Blockade Exeggutor with Vileplume. That will cause some rage quits.

Now all we need in this kind of deck, is 4 Rare Candy, or 4 Wally (For turn 2 vileplume). 4 ultra ball. and the rest of the deck to be be all supporter based cards, that can stop your opponent, like Team Flare Grunt, and Xerosic.
If you go down a Pokemon while setting up, you can use the Twins type card, Team mates, which does pretty much the same thing, to ensure you get that lock up and keep it locked up.

I can't really see a way to counter a Lysandre however, other than to use an AZ or Cassius on the Vileplume that would become active. We still don't know every card in this set, so I shall be looking forward to how decks around this card will plan out.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Alright alright alright alright *breathes*

Vileplume is back, oh my... I can see it being used when Seismitoad-EX leaves the format, at least. I'd love to see The Truth return because even if it was a pain, it made the format feel a lot more diverse. 130HP is indeed a little substandard, but it's not going to be in active much at all. Possibly, it could be used with Supporter Lock to prevent your opponent from doing much at all!

Jolteon interests me. The ability to make all Stage 1 Pokémon part [L] means that Colourless Rayquaza-EX has a counter, and there are a fair few things that can OHKO it. I don't know how viable it will be, but it looks fun enough, especially with Energy Evolution Eevee! This also indicates that Vaporeon and Flareon are most likely being reprinted, which keeps all the Eeveelutions in format.

Paint Roller... Maybe 1 or 2 in a deck? It's only drawing a card and it can either be extremely useful or completely useless. A bit hit or miss, so I guess it depends on your local meta.

This set just keeps getting better and better for me! :D

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Right, so we have yet another year of Item Lock.

Looks like I'm not competing in 2015-2016 Pokemon series either.

The Shining Mew

A Mew that shines
Hi, peeps, I'm new here! :)

All three of these cards seem to have some potential, in particular Jolteon with the possibility of a M Rayquaza EX counter. Ancient Origins seems like a great set so far! I just hope that it contains a Mew Holo or Promo card!

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
Vileplume
-
Okay, so the Unleashed print is back. That card was amazing back then with Cobalion, Beartic, and The Truth. Nowadays, I'm not sure if it'll be any good. It's a Stage 2, and with Seismitoad-EX in the format, I'm kind of in the middle on it. I think it's better than Seismitoad-EX because you can pair it with a lot of standard attackers, meaning you can do higher damage than Quaking Punch by using something like Dugtrio XY in a similar way to that of Donphan Prime. I don't know, this one is hard to determine. I think it could be good, though.

Jolteon
-
Anyone who knows me and is looking at my avatar right now knows I love Jolteon, and this one is actually kind of interesting. There are a lot of Stage 1 decks in the format right now, and by applying a different Type, you can come up with some pretty fun gimmicks. I think this could especially be good if we get something that applies only to Lightning Types in the same manner as Rough Seas, this card could be awesome!

Paint Roller
-
As a draw card, this is probably not that good, but we're in a format full of Sky Field decks, so this is especially good against Ninetales in MegaRay decks. Knock the Stadium out, and their entire Emerald Breaking is limited to 150 AND they get less space. Defenitely will be good for countering a lot of top deck strategies.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
Holy cow. I just noticed a shiny decal on the side of Jolteon's card. You know what that means? He's a Holofoil.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Considering Jolteon is a Holofoil (I see it too!), who thinks that the assumed Vaporeon and Flareon will be holofoil too? I can't actually remember there being Holofoil versions of them in a while, so it'd be nice to see.