TCG Fakes Rakkis157's Fake Cards [Swarm Pokemon]

Rakkis157

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everyone! I'll be showing off some of my fake card ideas here. Any feedback on them is greatly appreciated.

The idea I'd like to share now is the concept of Swarm Pokemon. All these Pokemon have the ability Swarm, and though their effects may vary, they greatly improve the capabilities of your active Swarm Pokemon for each of them you have in your bench. They may be basic, stage one or fully evolved, but they will all be Bug type Pokemon in the video games.

Paras ----- 50 Hp [G]
Basic

Ability: Swarm

This Pokemon's attacks do 10 more damage for each Pokemon on your bench with the Swarm ability.

[G] Double Stab

This attack does 10 damage to 2 of your opponent's Pokemon.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance: N/A
Retreat Cost: [C]

Scizor ----- 100 HP [M]
Stage 1 (Evolves from Scyther)

This Pokemon's attacks do 10 more damage to your opponent's active Pokemon for each Pokemon on your bench with the Swarm Ability.

[M][M][C] Harvest 80

Draw a card for each energy on the defending Pokemon.

Resistance: [P] -20

Scyther ----- 70 HP [G]
Basic

[C] Follow Up 30

Discard an Energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do, place 4 damage counters on the defending Pokemon and switch this Pokemon with 1 of your Benched Pokemon. You may choose to attack with your new active Pokemon. (If this attack Knocks Out your opponent's Active Pokémon, you may attack again with your new Active Pokemon after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon.)

[G] Find Comrades

Search your deck for up to 3 Basic [G] Pokemon and place them on your Bench.

Weakness: [R]
Resistance: [F] -20

Scolipede ----- 140 HP [P]
Stage 2 (Evolves from Whirlipede)

This Pokemon's attacks do 10 more damage to your opponent's Benched Pokemon for each Pokemon on your bench with the Swarm Ability.

[P][P][C] Sweeping Charge 90

This attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokemon. (Don't apply weakness and resistance to Benched Pokemon)

Weakness: [P] x2
Retreat Cost: [C][C]

Whirlipede ----- 90 HP [P]
Stage 1 (Evolves from Venipede)

Ability: Tuck and Roll

If this Pokémon has full HP and would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, this Pokémon is not Knocked Out and its remaining HP becomes 10 instead. Then, switch this Pokemon with one of your benched Pokemon.

[P] Unearth Scraps

Discard an Energy Card attached to Whirlipede. Attach up to 2 Basic Energy cards (except the card discarded for this attack) from your discard pile to one of your Benched [G] Pokemon.

Retreat Cost: 2

Venipede ----- 50 HP [G]
Basic

[C] Raid the Larder

Search your deck for up to 2 cards and discard them. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Metal Coat
Pokemon Tool

The attacks of a [M] Pokémon this card is attached to do 20 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (after applying Weakness and Resistance). If the Pokemon this card is attached to is a Benched Pokemon (excluding [M] Pokemon) that is made your Active Pokemon, search your deck for a [M] Pokemon that evolves from this Pokémon and put it onto this Pokémon. (This counts as evolving this Pokémon.) Shuffle your deck afterward.

Bugcatcher

Supporter

Look at your Prize Cards. You may add up to 2 cards from your hand to your Prize Cards. Then, reveal a Pokemon with the same name as any of your Pokemon in play for each card you added to your Prize Cards and put them into your hand.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Changelog:
0100 - 24/5/15 - Added Scizor, Paras and Scolipede.
1630 - 24/5/15 - Fixed grammar errors. Revised Scizor's ability and attack.
1830 - 24/5/15 - Added Whirlipede and Metal Coat
2045 - 26/5/15 - Added Scyther, Venipede and Bugcatcher

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Hi!
First of all, I like the concept of a common Ability as an archetype. Swarm's a good choice for that, too - adding damage for every Swarmer on your Bench is perfect flavor-wise. There are, however, a few things about wording that I think could be changed. This is meant to be constructive, not deprecating, so please don't take it as such.
I think the wording on Paras's Ability would be something like "This Pokémon's attacks do 10 more damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon for each Pokémon on your Bench with the Swarm Ability. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)" I can't find a reference for that, however (things like Deoxys-EX and Strong Energy that also increase damage only do so to the Active Pokémon, while Double Stab hits the Bench).
Scizor seems a bit overpowered for a Stage 1, especially if there will be Basic Swarmers like Paras that you can just drop for an easy extra 20 damage. Remember Donphan, and how quickly 40 becomes 100 with just 1 Strong Energy, Fighting Stadium, and Muscle Band. The extra two Energy doesn't really make up for that, considering how easy it is to attach a DCE.
Doing the math, you can have up to 8 Benched Swarmers (if you're playing with your Swarm set as part of the current format), each adding 20 extra damage. Add that to the 60 you already have, attach a Muscle Band, and you're doing enough damage to Knock Out anything without HP/damage modifiers that's not Wailord-EX. And you also get to draw two cards.
I would suggest, to balance the power a bit, changing the Energy cost to MMC, so Double Colorless Energy is no longer usable, and then perhaps a secondary effect of "Discard two Energy attached to this Pokémon." Obviously, you don't have to take that suggestion - you don't have to change it at all if you don't want to - but in my opinion it would make Scizor less overpowered.
Scolipede looks good - just minor spelling stuff like "on" rather than "in" (Swarm) and no "If" (Sweeping Charge).
Again, this isn't meant to be criticism, or at least not of the negative kind. Your work looks great, and the concept is very creative.

Rakkis157

Aspiring Trainer
Hi!
First of all, I like the concept of a common Ability as an archetype. Swarm's a good choice for that, too - adding damage for every Swarmer on your Bench is perfect flavor-wise. There are, however, a few things about wording that I think could be changed. This is meant to be constructive, not deprecating, so please don't take it as such

Again, this isn't meant to be criticism, or at least not of the negative kind. Your work looks great, and the concept is very creative.

Thanks for the praise, and the good feedback!

Don't worry about giving criticism. I've been at this for a while, so I know how to take it. Fire away.
I think the wording on Paras's Ability would be something like "This Pokémon's attacks do 10 more damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon for each Pokémon on your Bench with the Swarm Ability. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)" I can't find a reference for that, however (things like Deoxys-EX and Strong Energy that also increase damage only do so to the Active Pokémon, while Double Stab hits the Bench).

I took the wording from the Adrenalash attack from Team Plasma Beartic and the Feather Dance attack from Unfezant RSK, which have the effect on an attack. The only difference between the two lines is that one affects only their Pokemon and one affects yours as well. (Never use Feather Dance with any Earthquake Pokemon on your Mew EX) Due to this, I don't think I will change it any time soon.

Scizor seems a bit overpowered for a Stage 1, especially if there will be Basic Swarmers like Paras that you can just drop for an easy extra 20 damage. Remember Donphan, and how quickly 40 becomes 100 with just 1 Strong Energy, Fighting Stadium, and Muscle Band. The extra two Energy doesn't really make up for that, considering how easy it is to attach a DCE.
Doing the math, you can have up to 8 Benched Swarmers (if you're playing with your Swarm set as part of the current format), each adding 20 extra damage. Add that to the 60 you already have, attach a Muscle Band, and you're doing enough damage to Knock Out anything without HP/damage modifiers that's not Wailord-EX. And you also get to draw two cards.
I would suggest, to balance the power a bit, changing the Energy cost to MMC, so Double Colorless Energy is no longer usable, and then perhaps a secondary effect of "Discard two Energy attached to this Pokémon." Obviously, you don't have to take that suggestion - you don't have to change it at all if you don't want to - but in my opinion it would make Scizor less overpowered.

I see what you mean, and revised the ability and attack a little. I've taken your suggestion about the energy cost, and changed it to [M][M][C]. Instead of weakening the attack however, I reduced the bonus damage to 10 per Swarm Pokemon to match the other Swarm abilities, and improve the attack to 80. He can get an OHKO on a regular EX with 8 Benched Pokemon and Muscle Band, but given that this requires more set up than Mega Ray, I believe this is justified somewhat. i also changed the effect to make it more useful late game but at the same time not too overpowering early on.

New attack:

[M][M][C] Harvest 80

Draw a card for each energy on the defending Pokemon.

Scolipede looks good - just minor spelling stuff like "on" rather than "in" (Swarm) and no "If" (Sweeping Charge).

I'm honestly wondering where that random 'If' came from. Thanks for pointing it out. I've corrected the wording for all the abilities as well.

Adding in a couple more cards.

Whirlipede ----- 90 HP [P]
Stage 1 (Evolves from Venipede)

Ability: Tuck and Roll

If this Pokémon has full HP and would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, this Pokémon is not Knocked Out and its remaining HP becomes 10 instead. Then, switch this Pokemon with one of your benched Pokemon.

[P] Unearth Scraps

Discard an Energy Card attached to Whirlipede. Attach up to 2 Basic Energy cards (except the card discarded for this attack) from your discard pile to one of your Benched [G] Pokemon.

Retreat Cost: 2

Metal Coat
(Pokemon Tool)

The attacks of a [M] Pokémon this card is attached to do 20 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (after applying Weakness and Resistance). If the Pokemon this card is attached to is a Benched Pokemon (excluding [M] Pokemon) that is made your Active Pokemon, search your deck for a [M] Pokemon that evolves from this Pokémon and put it onto this Pokémon. (This counts as evolving this Pokémon.) Shuffle your deck afterward.

Whirlipede is designed to hopefully make it worth using in a Swarm decks. The Ability makes it a decent tank and its attack lets it accelerate energy onto your potential attackers really well. Metal Coat should hopefully work in place of Muscle Band to help Scizor quickly deal its damage to hit the magic numbers. It should also be useful for quick-evolving Multiple Scizors for the damage boost as you can use it to get a Scizor in play on the turn you play down a Scyther. Both these cards would in theory work together very well with both Scizor and Scolipede. Sending out your Whirlipede to tank a hit and charge up a Scyther, then switching into Scyther to quickly evolve it into a Scizor and finally evolving is the combo I have in mind.

Last edited:

Rakkis157

Aspiring Trainer
Welcome the new and final additions, Scyther, Venipede and Bugcatcher!

Scyther ----- 70 HP [G]
Basic

[C] Follow Up

Discard an Energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do, place 4 damage counters on the defending Pokemon and switch this Pokemon with 1 of your Benched Pokemon. You may choose to attack with your new active Pokemon. (If this attack Knocks Out your opponent's Active Pokémon, you may attack again with your new Active Pokemon after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon.)

[G] Find Comrades

Search your deck for 3 Basic [G] Pokemon and place them on your Bench.

Weakness: [R]
Resistance: [F] -20

Venipede ----- 50 HP [G]
Basic

[C] Raid the Larder

Search your deck for up to 2 cards and discard them. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Bugcatcher

Supporter

Look at your Prize Cards. You may add up to 2 cards from your hand to your Prize Cards. Then, reveal a Pokemon with the same name as any of your Pokemon in play for each card you added to your Prize Cards and put them into your hand.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Bugcatcher is meant to support your need for having multiples of the same Pokemon in play by retrieving them from your Prizes, at a cost. Venipede is meant to combo with its evolution by getting energy into your Discard for Whirlipede to accelerate. It also makes a great tech in Night March. Scyther is obviously used to fill up your bench, but the second attack is a unique Swarm-isque move that could serve as a last resort in the archtype. Basically, it gives you a last resort move that you can use to deal huge amounts of damage by chaining Scythers and Swarmers.

I could use some help with the wording of Bugcatcher. I believe I've got it right, but it still feels a little funny.

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
In the current format, as far as I know, there isn't any "looking at your face-down Prize cards". I think the only card in format that cares about Prize cards at all before they're taken is Town Map, which tells you to just flip them over.

The only card I know of that lets you look at your Prize cards and then return them face-down (Rotom UD doesn't let you look at them) is Azelf LA, which says, "Once during your turn, when you put Azelf from your hand onto your Bench, you may look at all of your face-down Prize cards. If you do, you may choose 1 Pokémon you find there, show it to your opponent, and put it into you hand. Then, choose 1 card in your hand and put it as a Prize card face down."

I think the order of operations of taking the Pokémon, then putting a card face-down still applies here.

I think this wording would be somewhat closer to Azelf's:
"Look at all of your face-down Prize cards. Choose up to 2 Pokémon with the same name as 1 of your Pokémon in play, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, choose 1 card in your hand for each of the revealed cards and put it as a Prize card face down."

This wording's still a little weird - I really want to use "any of your Pokémon" rather than "1 of your Pokémon" but I can't find a reference that says "any" (I used Repeat Ball for that).
Also "for each of the revealed cards" is bothering me. I figure it could just as easily be "the cards you revealed" but again, I couldn't find a reference for either of them.

Rakkis157

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks.

This wording's still a little weird - I really want to use "any of your Pokémon" rather than "1 of your Pokémon" but I can't find a reference that says "any" (I used Repeat Ball for that).
Also "for each of the revealed cards" is bothering me. I figure it could just as easily be "the cards you revealed" but again, I couldn't find a reference for either of them.

"Look at all of your face-down Prize cards. Choose up to 2 Pokémon with the same name as 1 of your Pokémon in play, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, choose 1 card in your hand for each card you revealed and put it as a Prize card face down."

Adjusted it. How does it sound like now?