Ash & Serena: Romantic Developments?

Drohn

Wild War Dance
From the beginning of the XY series Ash seems to have matured a lot. In the BW series they rubbed in the fact he was still a 10 year old boy, but now he seems to have grown (although probably not in age) in the way he thinks and acts.

It also kind of seems obvious to me that Serena has developed a crush on Ash.

Will Ash's seemingly increased maturity finally make space for a real relationship to develop or will they remain hints that will be ignored by (the oblivious) Ash?

Do you think Ash will ever be involved in a romantic relationship? Will this be his chance? Would that make the series better/worse?

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
RE: How will Ash's relationship with Serena develop?

I think it's a fun thing to speculate on, but I don't think the anime is actually going to move in the direction of Ash and Serena having a real relationship. It goes against everything the show has done so far, and I think Ash has about as much a chance of winning the Pokémon league as he does of becoming Serena's boyfriend. Despite his increased maturity in Kalos, he's still very young, and this is still a show aimed towards children.

I expect that Ash will remain hopelessly oblivious to everything, and that Serena will ignore Ash's obliviousness and still maintain her crush, at least until the two part ways to make room for Gen 7.

I think the only real chance of a relationship between them (other than Serena being friend-zoned like the others) would be if this were the last season of the anime and they don't plan on continuing on for Gen 7, but I don't think that will happen.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon

I really don't think Ash and Serena will remain together nor will Ash notice Serena's crush. The former because of the issues of having traveling boyfriends...to much things to take care, namely the travel itself, battling, cooking (unless Ash and Serena will live on macarrons and return to that age where T.R would starve...well,hey could still sell the macarrons and make money, answering that lingering question of how does Ash & Co. make money for food and stuff) and a couple doesn't fit a show like this, not to mention that, like Athena said, it's aimed towards children so if they give Serena and Ash a chance the kids would probably ask for more or rather not and so the producers would be risking too much with a series that didn't had such a thing so far.

All that said, I think Ash won't discover Serena's affection towards him because...he has a crush on Clemont (bah, it took me ages to figure out his English name, I could only think of Citron -_-)! Yeah, that's right, there's more to Ash's dazzle with machines. After Eureka's many attempts, Clemont will figure that he doesn't like girls and they will settle in Clemont's gym (perfect for Pikachu). Far far away, Misty has chills and gets somewhat sad with no apparent reason. Heartbroken, Serena will leave, taking Eureka with her to see the world.

precita

Aspiring Trainer

It's going to be handled the same exact way Misty's crush on Ash was handled. Meaning throughout the saga you'll see various episodes where Serena's crush becomes obvious, they'll have their moments together, but ultimately it won't go anywhere due to the nature of the show.

At the end of the generation Serena will leave for whatever reason, the pairing will be killed off and probably not brought up again. We saw the same exact thing happen to Misty at the end of Johto, and even when Misty returned for a few episodes in Hoenn...the crush was pretty much completely gone. The writers didn't hesitate to drop Misty's crush after the buildup in Kanto/Orange, and then of course she wound up permanently axed from the show so she never showed up again past Hoenn regardless.

Really I thought by now people would realize this? As soon as we saw May leave by the end of AG everyone knew we'd just have a new main girl character every generation and then they'll always depart when the saga closes.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Ash and Serena will spend a good few years traveling around Kalos. Serena's feelings for Ash will fade after a while when it becomes obvious that Ash doesn't return her feelings, only to come back full force after he rescues her from falling off the top of Lumiose Tower after a Team Flare campaign. There will be fireworks, a kiss, and Serena will confess her love for Ash. Ash will let her down gently, saying that his heart belongs to another, but Serena will always have a place in his heart.

At first, Serena will feel jealousy and hatred for Ash, but will eventually come to terms with his decision and things will be normal between the two of them. As gen six draws to a close, Ash and Serena will go their separate ways, but not before a heated, spur-of-the-moment night of passion between the two. Ash realizes that he has feelings for Serena after all, but Serena says that too much time has passed and they can never be together.

When Ash returns home to Kanto to prepare for his next journey to gen7land, he is greeted at home by Misty, who claims that after years and years of being alone, she couldn't stand to be without the man she loves any longer. Ash tells Misty he loves her, she returns it, and then she joins the damn traveling entourage as a permanent member, eventually being second only to Ash and Pikachu in terms of number of episodes seen.

you didn't say it had to be canon

Leaf_Ranger

precita said:
(...)
Really I thought by now people would realize this? As soon as we saw May leave by the end of AG everyone knew we'd just have a new main girl character every generation and then they'll always depart when the saga closes.

You're right but aren't we perhaps missing something and Ash is in reality a stallion, a Casanova but way more subtle and trickier than Brock!? Helping rookie trainers, camping out, join in their interests like Contests and stuff. Oh Ash, you dirty...:D

PS: it seems that Ash won't be with Clemont after all...he discovers that Clemont's and Eureka's father is also his own father! O_O

lovandra

not an ordinary cat

Nah, They will just hint some shipping's probabilities and let the fan(s) developing our own story.

precita

Aspiring Trainer

It's kind of a shame the female companions are so disposable in the series but given the anime is meant to advertise the games it's understandable. The only reason Misty continued into Johto was probably because there weren't any girls from the games to replace her with at the time.

It also feels like the girls leave quicker now. Iris was the shortest lived conpanion at only 3 years and Serena might only get 3 years too.

Lizeron

Aspiring Trainer

I think that it's important to point out some of the gags the show has. Ash has no idea of what love is. He pretty much never had and there is a running gag in the anime involving pokemon mating and falling in love that ash is always ignorant of and everyone around him sigh in unison! Similar to how Charizard will always greet him with a flame thrower!

About Ash's age, I don't know about the English version since I never watch it, but I am quite positive that X/Y is the first season so far that the narrator doesn't mention that ash is 10, probably so that everyone can make their own assumptions and even make Ash a teenager.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer

Since the Anime series got retconned in Black/White after Diamond/Pearl, Ash is still 10 years old thereby throwing away 13 seasons of backwards continuity with only a half hearted attempt of nostalgic flashbacks from the original series which most of the time gets recycled in every season of the series. If there's one thing Ash Ketchum has in common with Peter Parker/Spider-Man is that they're nothing but marketing tools and the creators don't really know how to progress their personalities and relationships further with the fear of losing money from stepping outside the status quo.

Don't get me wrong, the nostalgic flashbacks of the original series in the last season of the Black/White series was great however to me it felt rushed. The X/Y series is shaping to be much better than Black/White was although I still enjoyed the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh Saga's much more. The end of Sinnoh was a cheap cop out in order to keep the Anime series going, same with Mewtwo Strikes Back since they were originally going to end the Anime series under the impression that the original Gold/Silver/Crystal games were going to be the final entry in the Pokemon franchise.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker

I can't really tell at this point. As long as there are new generations of Pokemon games, there will probably be new Female Traveling Companions. If Ash was to get any significant relationship, than the Anime would probably have to stop adding new traveling companions. Just look at Dawn. Everyone thought that they were going to have that be the end-all crush, but then Unova came, and Iris along with it. Dawn DID later appear in a few B&W episodes, like "All for the Love of Meloetta", but I feel that Ash will stay single until the anime comes to an end.

Freddy

Aspiring Trainer

I think that they should put Ash and Serena together because, if you think about it, now there are all these shows like Adventure Time, etc and kids wake up to watch them. What I think Pokémon is now is that the people that grew up watching it like me, and watch all the series like me, still watch it and this is the first time they brought romance in Pokemon, according to what I remember and how many time you see Ash holding a girl's hand or giving a girl a hug. If you pay attention you can see that Serena got off of him so the hug she shared with Ash could have been longer, but still this is probably the only chance for Ash to get a girlfriend so hopefully they get together.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer

i think it wont and it will just be like Doctor Who and The Doctors Female Companions

Im still Hoping if any girl does date Ash for reals its Misty

98Greener

tree noises

They won't go too deep, like kissing-deep, but I can see some hugs.

I'd love to see a day where all the girls he's met along the way come meet Ash in Kalos, and Sernea gets extremely embarrassed/jealous. Would make my cute receptor overload.

TheDonkeyWarrior

Aspiring Trainer

Drohn said:
From the beginning of the XY series Ash seems to have matured a lot. In the BW series they rubbed in the fact he was still a 10 year old boy, but now he seems to have grown (although probably not in age) in the way he thinks and acts.

It also kind of seems obvious to me that Serena has developed a crush on Ash.

Will Ash's seemingly increased maturity finally make space for a real relationship to develop or will they remain hints that will be ignored by (the oblivious) Ash?

Do you think Ash will ever be involved in a romantic relationship? Will this be his chance? Would that make the series better/worse?
Yes i do think they will get together because there has been many hints throughout the story including the episode where Serena has a pokepuff bake off with that other chick i don't remember her name but at the end the other chick tells Serena to tell ash how she feels before it's to late i think that is foreshadowing some sort of romantic spark happening this season;)

Reindeerz418

Aspiring Trainer

To all of you who say something like "They won't be in a relationship, the Pokémon company doesn't do romantic things like that." Remember Pokémon the movie Latios and Latias? Where Ash kissed Bianca? (or Latias, pick one.) Because I do, and really, this time there's a much better chance I think. The latest episode, we now know that Serena most likely will, at the very least, confess her crush to Ash, and if not then somebody else will, so either way, relationship!

jose23567

Aspiring Trainer
To all you guys that say that Serena and Ash will not be in a relationship because "oooh more seasons are coming and other females will replace her" or if you're protesting because you're supporting another ship, or you're simply implying that Ash is not meant to be romantic or in a relationship with someone: Well, let me remind you that because of Serena's canonical crush and hints in the series the ratings of the series raised significantly. Ash hints towards Serena as well shocked everyone in a good way. For once the writers are cooking up things with putting hints in almost every episode which seems to be working successfully. There's no doubt that these two characters will indeed show interest in each other and make "AmourShipping" canon because, lets face it, there's the Kalos region being like France; all the hints like the cookies, the blushing, it's too much to say that it wont happen.

So what I think about AmourShipping is that I'm really hyped up that these two characters love, or at the most interest, will affect the series and audience. I think it would become a success for the writers to make AmourShipping canon. Let's hope AmourShipping becomes canon and lets hope that Ash will return the feelings to Serena and show how much he loves her as much as she loves him. :) Great job writers! Keep up the good work and make AmourShipping canon please :)

If you want proof of AmourShipping check here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shipping:AmourShipping

Leaf_Ranger

So, Ash is now so mature that he'll be involved in a relationship with Serena? Just like in every episode he calls his mom to know how she's doing and Prof. Oak to know about Pokémon that were his companions. Oh wow, Ash is really mature!! A guy whose dad left him to go on his on journey and Ash followed his footsteps and left his mom with a slave mime Pokémon! Yup, love is in the air! Great job writers!!

jose23567 said:
To all you guys that say that Serena and Ash will not be in a relationship because "oooh more seasons are coming and other females will replace her" or if you're protesting because you're supporting another ship, or you're simply implying that Ash is not meant to be romantic or in a relationship with someone: Well, let me remind you that because of Serena's canonical crush and hints in the series the ratings of the series raised significantly. Ash hints towards Serena as well shocked everyone in a good way. For once the writers are cooking up things with putting hints in almost every episode which seems to be working successfully. There's no doubt that these two characters will indeed show interest in each other and make "AmourShipping" canon because, lets face it, there's the Kalos region being like France; all the hints like the cookies, the blushing, it's too much to say that it wont happen.

So what I think about AmourShipping is that I'm really hyped up that these two characters love, or at the most interest, will affect the series and audience. I think it would become a success for the writers to make AmourShipping canon. Let's hope AmourShipping becomes canon and lets hope that Ash will return the feelings to Serena and show how much he loves her as much as she loves him. :) Great job writers! Keep up the good work and make AmourShipping canon please :)

If you want proof of AmourShipping check here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shipping:AmourShipping

Funny how you start mentioning those "protesting because you're supporting another ship" when your post seems like a fanboy piece supporting Amour, also when no one before clearly said they would like another shipping more and last but not least, when your one and only post in PkBeach is this one! :rolleyes:
The ratings raised with the shipping? Good, but that doesn't mean that in the end it'll be more than just a nice attraction/flirt between kids. I can already see, they become boyfriend and girlfriend, return to Pallet and then Ash dumps Serena as another house slave for his mom and at night both of them regret being nice to Ash!
We've had shipping before, namely with Misty and now we have it again but more openly and being used more, period (and that might be why Serena only has that Fennekin!, because it's to attract female kids who don't like the battling aspect of Pokémon and now watch the show because "oh, they're so cute and will they end up together!?").
In a series with so many female companions and yet nothing more serious happened, you can't just go blind like a fanboy and see every sign as proof without a doubt that they'll end up together, that the shipping is true. Hell, going by the fact that Ash has participated in a number of Leagues and even won the Orange League, then Ash should be Champion already because the clues were there and yet Ash still behaves like a children, getting out of a plane and shouting like crazy, not training his Pokémon, not informing himself about the leaders in the region, still not knowing how to cook apparently and still falling for TR's disguises!

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
Do you think when they get lefted behind by Ash they get admitted into a club called "The Left Behind Club". It could have Tracy, Brock, and Cilan in there too. The finale of the show is him fight all of them. It is without pokemon. It is a Battle Royale style island fight. Also they could try and incorporate David Bowie and Bare Naked Ladies songs into it.

TheJolteonMaster

Aspiring Trainer
Am I the only one that thinks Ash might be pretending to not get romance on purpose? Possibly either to avoid the drama, avoid having to hold a girl back from her own dreams, so that he can focus on his own dream, or a combination of all three reasons. I think this because sometimes Ash acts clueless, yet, there are other times when it seems like he does get it. Further, it seems like the longer the Anime goes on, the more clueless Ash acts, which could mean he is getting more used to performing his act. I also noticed that, character development wise, it would make sense for Ash to make this decision. When Misty left, she became a Gym leader, while mostly all she did when traveling with Ash was was help him achieve his dream. And shortly before May left, if I remember correctly, somebody commented on how May kept watching him battle and ended up battling a lot like him, therefore somewhat hindering her in contest battles, the look on Ash's face when he heard this was pretty emotional if I recall. Clearly both of these events, in combination with why Ash let Charizard train in Charicific vally, and why Brock left, and others, would instil a mindset that it would hurt others if they stayed with him. And then we still don't know how Ash's own father fits into this equation.

Plus, Ash would not even settle down to be a frontier brain, settling down to raise a family is almost out of the question at least for a very long while.

So, the most interesting thing about Serina is that she does not have a personal goal in the Anime yet. Based on my theory, if Ash does fall in love, the person would either have to have the same goal as him (collecting badges etc) or otherwise have a goal that lets them travel together with little to no hindrance on either side. If the girl has no goal other than being with him then, how Ash would feel about that is kind of up in the air. Ash might be waiting until Serina decides what to do with her life before he gets his hopes up, which could make things complicated if the writers actually want to confirm this theory,

Oh, and kids do get romance, mostly because of Disney lol. It's just a sexual relationship that would be out of the question due to the target audience and love does not require sex you know, especially if you're only 10-12 or 15 years old or however hell old Ash is now.