• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Zygarde/Garchomp/Carbink

Anonymousfolho

Aspiring Trainer
I am very very new to Pokemon TCG, and so a few guys at my card shop introduced me to Garchomp. I just wanna put down my deck list and see if you guys can help me change it to make it more competitive?

Pokémon: 16
  • 2 Zygarde EX
  • 4/2/4 Garchomp
  • 2/2 Octillery
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 35
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 Skyla
  • 1 Bridgette
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Wally
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 3 Trainer's Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Level Ball
  • 1 Evosoda
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 3 Scorched Earth
Energy: 9
  • 5 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy

Can you please provide more Info? Which Garchomp is it? Do you want to play Extended (Every Set starting with Black and White, This format is common in the US. Kinda Rare in Europe) or Standard (everything after and including Primal Clash) or doesn´t it matter?

Else your deck seems nice. So far so good. I don´t really play Fighting Type but this seems to have potential. I personally think you could substitute the Octillery Line for more energy to take more advantage of the Scorched Earth.
If you want to have diffrent Trainer Cards. Take a look at Power Memory (maybe usefull if you keep with Zygarde) maybe an Assault Vest and you don´t have any way to heal i don´t think so maybe put one Center Lady in.
Also take a look at Regirock EX . Always a good Addition to Fighting Decks

I ran Garchomp successfully last season (and may again after studying the Sun & Moon cards) and also combo'd it with another 1-energy attacking, my "Hall of Fame" Pokémon, Landorus EX. However, in order to provide some feedback to help make your deck more competitive, please address the following:
  • First off, is your deck suppose to be designed for the Standard or Expanded format?
  • Secondly, you mentioned Carbink in the thread's heading, but there is no Carbink in your list. Should Carbink be in your list or not?
Thanks.

When I used Carbink, he just seemed too slow, so I took him out. There should be no carbink
Alrighty then, a few comments for your consideration:
  • From my experience, I really did not find the 4th Garchomp to be that useful. No doubt, the 4th Garchomp maximized my chances of accessing 1, but it was not that significant across many games. So, I just run 3 'Chomps.
  • In running Octillery, disrupting your opponent's hand as much as possible helps you - knowing that you have supplemental card-draw support via Octillery.
  • 4 Rare Candy (with 2 Wally, 3 Trainer's Mail and 1 Evosoda) seem excessive.
  • Given the Octillery supplemental card-draw support, the additional card-draw support Scorched Earth provides seems excessive and may cause you to over-draw your resources. Although this Stadium will be very helpful should your opponent play Garbodor, IMO, Faded Town, Parallel City, and/or Silent Lab would be more helpful.
Suggested deck changes:
-1 Garchomp
-1 Rare Candy
-2 Scorched Earth
-1 Wally

+2 Faded Town and/or Parallel City
+1 Delinquent - to disrupt your opponent's hand and remove his/her Stadium
+1 Olympia - to help get heaving retreat-cost Zygarde EX out of the active position
+1 F

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Back