• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey everyone, here is my Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX list. After much testing and rethinking every card in my original list, I've come up with this version (which is my favorite so far). The overall strategy is to draw into your resources needed to set up a Decidueye GX with Zoroark GX's Trade ability. As you do so, applying pressure with Riotous Beating (Zoroark GX's main attack) or Flying Flip (Tapu Koko promo's main attack) is key to taking K.O.s later on. As soon as two Decidueye GXs are in play, things get a lot easier by increasing Zoroark GX's damage output to 190 (with a Choice Band). Three Decidueye GX's is your goal in this deck, so Puzzle of Time gives that increase of chances to retrieve cards like Rare Candy, Double Colorless Energy, Max Potion, etc. Combined with the one copy of Mallow (which I use almost every game), your goal to set up is made a lot easier.

Pokémon*21

Zorua*3 SHL
Zoroark GX*3 SHL
Zoroark *1 BKT
Rowlet*4 SUM
Dartrix*2 SUM
Decidueye GX*4 SUM
Tapu Lele GX*2 GRI
Tapu Koko*1 PR
Espeon EX*1 BKP

Trainer*29

Professor Sycamore*4 BKP
N*3 FCO
Guzma*2 BUS
Brigette*2 BKT
Mallow*1 GRI
Ultra Ball*4 SUM
Puzzle of Time*4 BKP
Rare Candy*3 SUM
Field Blower*2 GRI
Max Potion*2 GRI
Rescue Stretcher*1 GRI
Choice Band*3 GRI
Float Stone*1 BKT

Energy*7

Grass Energy*3 SUM
Double Colorless Energy*4 SUM

A few personal cards would be:

2rd Brigette: Getting that Turn 1 Brigette is one of the most important parts of this deck, so playing a seconded makes sure I don't prize one.

Puzzle of Time: With the increase of draw support (Zoroark GX), drawing Puzzles is made a lot easier. I (at the least) get one combo of double Puzzle of Time per game. Another great part about this card is that it combines well with Hollow Hunt GX. The one downside of this GX attack is that your opponent can see what you grab, and then your turn ends (giving your opponent the chance to counteract your plan). With Puzzles, you grab two (sometime even three!) Puzzles from your discard and keep the cards you actually want hidden from your opponent.

Max Potion: This card is immensely powerful in this deck, especially with the high HP of Zoroark GX and Decidueye GX. One deck I've had a problem with is Spread decks and Buzzwole GX. With Max Potion, I don't have to play a Mr. Mime (which takes up bench space and doesn't do anything in any other matchup) which makes the deck a lot more consistent (on my opinion).

I'd like to find room for a third Tapu Lele GX, but I don't know what to remove. It hasn't been a big problem so far, but I feel a little more comfortable with the 3rd copy.

With a decent showing at London Internationals, I think Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX is a deck that has a lot of potential in the Standard format. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Edit: Updated the list to fit the changes I mentioned later on in the thread.

Last edited:
I may be a budget player ;), but I'm no stranger to common, non-budget Meta-Game. This deck looks incredible, I especially love the fresh idea of using Decidueye to rain havoc on the bench, then take em all out in few turns by hammering them with Riotous Beating!

Love this deck, it is pure perfection!

I may be a budget player ;), but I'm no stranger to common, non-budget Meta-Game. This deck looks incredible, I especially love the fresh idea of using Decidueye to rain havoc on the bench, then take em all out in few turns by hammering them with Riotous Beating!

Love this deck, it is pure perfection!

Thanks, glad to hear you agree! Most of the cards here are somewhat cheap (excluding Tapu Lele GX) as well. I really enjoy it as a deck, not to mention that it works like a well oiled machine! Do you have any suggestions on cards choices?

A 2nd Mallow would be nice here, since when I run 1, I feel like I never get it when I need it. I have my own version, which I am testing as well, which is very similar to this, but has a few different cards. Not too sure about the Max Potion, but I'll test since you say it does well. Also is there any reason why you run Grass Energy over Rainbow Energy? I run Grass as well, but is there a specific reason?

I have played with a 2nd Mallow, and I've gathered that most of the time, the 2nd copy is discarded at some point or I draw into it Turn 1 without Zoroark GX. The one copy makes room for other cards while still giving me accessibility to having the option. To find one, I will mainly use it when I draw into it. Rarely am I in a situation where I need to use Tapu Lele GX to get one. I just prefer one over two, but whatever feels better for you is what you'll most likely be playing.

Max Potion is really good in this deck. Since most other decks are THKOing either of my attackers, giving myself an extra turn to attack and remove threats is really helpful. Sometimes I don't use it, but the moments I do usually are what keep me in the game. I have even discarded a Double Colorless attached to a Zoroark GX to heal 200 damage and attach another DCE from my hand to remove any chance my opponent had to win. This is another personal card for me, though I have seen a few other people use it. If you don't like it, you can always play the 2nd Mallow you wanted.

I play Grass Energy instead of Rainbow Energy because I don't run anyone I want to attach it to (besides maybe Espeon EX). I have seen a lot of people playing Enhanced Hammer, so giving them less chances to use it is better in my opinion. I haven't come across too many situations where I'd rather use a Rainbow Energy (though I use to play Hoopa from SHL) so I just stick to Grass (not to mention Po Town, Choice Band, and Rainbow energy combined against Decidueye GX will get most attacks above the 240 HP mark). If you play Hoopa or any other tech, Rainbow Energy will be required. Until I use one though, Grass is my go to option.

Thanks for the suggestions, I hope this helps explain my reasoning. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeh yeh yeh. 2nd Mallow just makes it so you draw into it earlier and being able to get the cards you need. I understand Max Potion with PoT so most of the time you arent in dire need of getting energies to get an attack off. So if you run into Xurkitree GX, what is there to do? You eventually finish it off with the snipes from Decidueye but by then they'd probably have something to take care of you whole board.

Yeh yeh yeh. 2nd Mallow just makes it so you draw into it earlier and being able to get the cards you need. I understand Max Potion with PoT so most of the time you arent in dire need of getting energies to get an attack off. So if you run into Xurkitree GX, what is there to do? You eventually finish it off with the snipes from Decidueye but by then they'd probably have something to take care of you whole board.

Xurkitree GX is one card that I have run into that creates a problem. Most of the time though, your opponent will have benched Pokémon in play. What I'll do is attack the bench (like Pokemon their charging up for later on) with Zoroark GX while placing damage on Xurkitree GX. If I have to, I'll attach two Grass Energy to a Tapu Lele GX (finding them through Trade, Mallow, etc.) and apply more pressure to the Xurkitree GX (usually finishing it of with Feather Arrow).

Xurkitree GX is one card that I have run into that creates a problem. Most of the time though, your opponent will have benched Pokémon in play. What I'll do is attack the bench (like Pokemon their charging up for later on) with Zoroark GX while placing damage on Xurkitree GX. If I have to, I'll attach two Grass Energy to a Tapu Lele GX (finding them through Trade, Mallow, etc.) and apply more pressure to the Xurkitree GX (usually finishing it of with Feather Arrow).
Makes sense, even if they don't bench anything you can force them to if they want a decent chance at winning. Also, what "techs" are good to run in here? I'd post my current list, but not sure if I should do that.

Makes sense, even if they don't bench anything you can force them to if they want a decent chance at winning. Also, what "techs" are good to run in here? I'd post my current list, but not sure if I should do that.

You can post your list if you'd like, I don't mind. Helps me get an idea of your viewpoint on this deck.
Some techs that I have mulled over are:

Hoopa, SHL: Creates a barrier against GXs, giving you more time to set up and place damage with Feather Arrow.

Latios, SHL: Helps a lot with Zoroark GX's numbers (120+30{Latios}+30{Choice Band}=180). One retreat cost is a set back though.

Baby Zoroark, BKT: A great one prize attacker, but I'd rather evolve a Zorua into a Zoroark GX.

Necrozma GX, GRI: Applies a lot of spread damage, but I prefer Hollow Hunt GX instead.

Giratina, PR: Helps a lot against Greninja Break (which turns out to be a tough matchup). A little clunky in other matches though.

I'll update this post if I have any more. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Okk so this is what I'm testing and has been working well. Really, really well.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 21

* 3 Zorua PR-SM SM83
* 1 Zoroark BKT 91
* 2 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 4 Rowlet SUM 9
* 2 Dartrix SUM 10
* 4 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 52
* 1 Latios SLG 41
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 N DEX 96
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Mallow GRI 145
* 3 Rare Candy PRC 135
* 4 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Brigette BKT 134

##Energy - 6

* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114
* 2 Grass Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I feel like 2 Zoroark GX is fine, since PoT can recover them if needed.

Baby Zoroark is there because math is great with CB and Feather Arrow.

Latios is there for better math.

2 Mallow so you can draw into it when you need it.

1 Float since everything has low retreat, and Guzma can help in any other situation.

2 Brigette because setup is key.

Only 2 Grass since I never use the 3rd, and its only for Junk Hunt.

Its been running really well. Sometimes PoT clunk up the hand, but its fine. Problematic matchups are Volc and Gardevoir. Which I really dislike since those are really popular decks.

Okk so this is what I'm testing and has been working well. Really, really well.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 21

* 3 Zorua PR-SM SM83
* 1 Zoroark BKT 91
* 2 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 4 Rowlet SUM 9
* 2 Dartrix SUM 10
* 4 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 52
* 1 Latios SLG 41
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 N DEX 96
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Mallow GRI 145
* 3 Rare Candy PRC 135
* 4 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Brigette BKT 134

##Energy - 6

* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114
* 2 Grass Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I feel like 2 Zoroark GX is fine, since PoT can recover them if needed.

Baby Zoroark is there because math is great with CB and Feather Arrow.

Latios is there for better math.

2 Mallow so you can draw into it when you need it.

1 Float since everything has low retreat, and Guzma can help in any other situation.

2 Brigette because setup is key.

Only 2 Grass since I never use the 3rd, and its only for Junk Hunt.

Its been running really well. Sometimes PoT clunk up the hand, but its fine. Problematic matchups are Volc and Gardevoir. Which I really dislike since those are really popular decks.

I like this list! The only thing that I'd change is adding a little more consistency to the list. For instance, increasing the Choice Band count and Zoroark GX count (if you prize both, or even one, your in a lot of trouble). Two Grass Energy instead of three may be an option though, I'll have to try it out. It does decrease your chance of countering Xurkitree GX (as stated above) and using Espeon EX without a DCE.

Gardevoir GX and Volcanion EX haven't been too troublesome to me (maybe I've been a little lucky?). The only deck that has been giving me trouble is Spread decks (Weavile variants, Buzzwole GX, etc.). Max Potion has been really helpful against them though. The deck seems pretty well rounded against everything though. Glad to see some people playing it as well. Let me know what you think, thanks!

I like this list! The only thing that I'd change is adding a little more consistency to the list. For instance, increasing the Choice Band count and Zoroark GX count (if you prize both, or even one, your in a lot of trouble). Two Grass Energy instead of three may be an option though, I'll have to try it out. It does decrease your chance of countering Xurkitree GX (as stated above) and using Espeon EX without a DCE.

Gardevoir GX and Volcanion EX haven't been too troublesome to me (maybe I've been a little lucky?). The only deck that has been giving me trouble is Spread decks (Weavile variants, Buzzwole GX, etc.). Max Potion has been really helpful against them though. The deck seems pretty well rounded against everything though. Glad to see some people playing it as well. Let me know what you think, thanks!
Choice Band is only 2 because there is always PoT when you need to recover, and you don't need more to hope to hit it off a Supporter since there is Mallow. Volcanion is mostly becuase they play 4 Guzmas and easily kill my Decidueyes. And Gardevoir, its not Gardevoir its self, its the Gallade. And a lot of lists are starting to run 2 Gallades. And spread decks are tough, but manageable.

Choice Band is only 2 because there is always PoT when you need to recover, and you don't need more to hope to hit it off a Supporter since there is Mallow. Volcanion is mostly becuase they play 4 Guzmas and easily kill my Decidueyes. And Gardevoir, its not Gardevoir its self, its the Gallade. And a lot of lists are starting to run 2 Gallades. And spread decks are tough, but manageable.

For Volcanion EX, only set up one Decidueye GX and focus on Zoroark GX, Tapu Koko, Latios, etc. This is how I deal with the Fire decks in general (sometimes even using Tapu Lele GX as an attacker!)

For Gardevoir GX, I focus more on Decidueye GX, Max Potion, and Espeon EX. Most of the time, I only set up one Zoroark GX for draw support, only attacking with it once or twice. Tapu Koko and Latios are options as well.

What do you do against both of these decks? I'd be interested in hearing your playstyle against them. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Last edited:
For Volcanion EX, only set up one Decidueye GX and focus on Zoroark GX, Tapu Koko, Latios, etc. This is how I deal with the Fire decks in general (sometimes even using Tapu Keke GX as an attacker!)

For Gardevoir GX, I focus more on Decidueye GX, Max Potion, and Espeon EX. Most of the time, I only set up one Zoroark GX for draw support, only attacking with it once or twice. Tapu Koko and Latios are options as well.

What do you do against both of these decks? I'd be interested in hearing your playstyle against them. Let me know what you think, thanks!
Concede :p

Just kidding. I normally attack with Decidueye against Gardevoir, but its hard since I only have 2 Energies. Also focus on spread with Koko and Latios and finish stuff off with Espeon and Tapu Lele.

As for Volc just streaming Zoroarks and using Baby Zoroark usually wins me the game. Sometimes Tapu Lele takes KOs on 'Mons with the spread damage on them.

I guess when in doubt, use Tapu Lele.

Concede :p

Just kidding. I normally attack with Decidueye against Gardevoir, but its hard since I only have 2 Energies. Also focus on spread with Koko and Latios and finish stuff off with Espeon and Tapu Lele.

As for Volc just streaming Zoroarks and using Baby Zoroark usually wins me the game. Sometimes Tapu Lele takes KOs on 'Mons with the spread damage on them.

I guess when in doubt, use Tapu Lele.

So maybe you should up the Grass Energy count to three? How about removing the Latios or Tapu Koko promo? I have honestly almost never used either (I play the one Tapu Koko for the free retreat cost!) and having (technically) two copies of a card that doesn't get much use isn't worth it in my opinion. Might be an option in the long run. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Hey everyone, I just discovered a very hard matchup for Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX. Greninja Break gives this deck a lot of trouble, shutting down your abilities and dealing a considerable amount of damage between Choice Band and Giant Water Shuriken. I'm really considering inserting a Giratina promo to give Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX an extra benefit against this deck, but I don't know what to take out. My best option (in my opinion) is the Tapu Koko promo (though I'm really hesitant to do so) since it doesn't get as much use. I just don't like the idea of starting with it in the active spot with only one Float Stone in my deck. Thoughts?

(By the way, I'm currently on a 8 game win streak since my last edit and I looking forward to seeing how far the deck can go. Wish me luck!)

Hey everyone, I just discovered a very hard matchup for Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX. Greninja Break gives this deck a lot of trouble, shutting down your abilities and dealing a considerable amount of damage between Choice Band and Giant Water Shuriken. I'm really considering inserting a Giratina promo to give Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX an extra benefit against this deck, but I don't know what to take out. My best option (in my opinion) is the Tapu Koko promo (though I'm really hesitant to do so) since it doesn't get as much use. I just don't like the idea of starting with it in the active spot with only one Float Stone in my deck. Thoughts?

(By the way, I'm currently on a 8 game win streak since my last edit and I looking forward to seeing how far the deck can go. Wish me luck!)
Attacking with Decidueye usually wins you thr game. At least, thats how all my games have gone. They also take 3 turns to set up, so you can pick off Froakies or soften things up with Feather Arrow. In my opinion, you shouldnt add a Giratina, its a waste of space. Good luck!

Attacking with Decidueye usually wins you thr game. At least, thats how all my games have gone. They also take 3 turns to set up, so you can pick off Froakies or soften things up with Feather Arrow. In my opinion, you shouldnt add a Giratina, its a waste of space. Good luck!

That is normally my game plan, but what happens most of the time is that I miss the DCE or Grass Energy turn one and I can't apply any pressure early game. As soon as the Greninja is set up, I can't use Feather Arrow or Trade, which is my basic draw support. I may get a Razor Leaf for a few turns, but taking only one prize hurts since I give them the two prize Decidueye GX. Also, Enhanced Hammer hits hard against Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX while under ability lock. Not being able to find Puzzle of Time and having to attach energy to a damaged Decidueye GX is a waste of effort. Maybe I could play a Grass type attacker that can be used in other matches (or another Grass Energy)?

The main problem is not being able to use Trade, so giving myself a few extra turns (by removing the extra damage from Giant Water Shuriken) to draw cards is (in my opinion) is very useful. I'll test it out more.

The only time I'd play the Girantina promo though is if I know a few Greninja Break players are competitors in a tournament. If not, I'll stick to the Tapu Koko promo. Thanks for the advice!

That is normally my game plan, but what happens most of the time is that I miss the DCE or Grass Energy turn one and I can't apply any pressure early game. As soon as the Greninja is set up, I can't use Feather Arrow or Trade, which is my basic draw support. I may get a Razor Leaf for a few turns, but taking only one prize hurts since I give them the two prize Decidueye GX. Also, Enhanced Hammer hits hard against Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX while under ability lock. Not being able to find Puzzle of Time and having to attach energy to a damaged Decidueye GX is a waste of effort. Maybe I could play a Grass type attacker that can be used in other matches (or another Grass Energy)?

The main problem is not being able to use Trade, so giving myself a few extra turns (by removing the extra damage from Giant Water Shuriken) to draw cards is (in my opinion) is very useful. I'll test it out more.

The only time I'd play the Girantina promo though is if I know a few Greninja Break players are competitors in a tournament. If not, I'll stick to the Tapu Koko promo. Thanks for the advice!
No problem! I agree that E Hammer and Shadow Stiching hurt a lot. A lot of the time, I'm able to get 2 KOs with a single Decidueye, while having one up back. If you really think its hard matchup, go for Giratina. Though there no room for a Grass type attacker.

Back