• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On: M Sceptile-EX /Malamar-EX /Ariados

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 15
  • 3 Sceptile EX(AOR)
  • 2 M Sceptile EX(AOR)
  • 2 Malamar-EX(PHF)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX(ROS)
  • 1 Hoopa-EX(AOR)
  • 2 Spinarak(AOR)
  • 2 Ariados(AOR)
  • 1 Yveltal-EX(BSP)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Cassius
  • 2 Hex Maniac
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Trainer's Mail
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Professor’s Letter
  • 2 Energy Retrieval
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 2 Sceptile Spirit Link
  • 3 Forest of Giant Plants
Energy: 14
  • 8 Grass
  • 3 Dark
  • 3 DCE
Spinarak – Grass – HP50
Basic Pokemon

[C] String Shot: Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Ariados – Grass – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Spinarak

Ability: Poison Nest
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. Both Active Pokemon are now Poisoned. (Excluding [G] Pokemon.)

[G][C] Corner: 30 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn.

Sceptile-EX – Grass – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[G] Sleep Poison: 10 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep and Poisoned.
[G][C] Assassin Claw: If your opponent’s Active Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition, this attack does 70 more damage.

M Sceptile-EX – Grass – HP220
Mega Evolution – Evolves from Sceptile-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

Θ Stop: Prevent all effects of your opponent’s Pokemon’s Abilities done to this Pokemon.

[G][C] Jagged Saber 100 damage. You may attach up to 2 [G] Energy from your hand to your Benched Pokemon in any way you like. If you do, remove all damage from each Pokemon you attached them to.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Retreat: 2

Hoopa-EX – Psychic – HP170
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Bandit Ring
Once during your turn (before your attack), when you play this Pokemon from your hand onto your Bench, you may use this Ability. Search your deck for up to 3 Pokemon-EX (excluding Hoopa-EX), show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[P][P][P] Hyperspace Fury: Discard 2 Energy attached to this Pokemon. Choose 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon. This attack does 100 damage to that Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Retreat: 2

Hex Maniac – Trainer
Supporter

Until the end of your opponent’s next turn, each Pokemon in play, in each player’s hand, and in each player’s discard pile has no Abilities.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Sceptile Spirit Link – Trainer
Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

Your turn does not end if the Pokemon this card is attached to becomes M Sceptile-EX.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

Forest of Giant Plants – Trainer
Stadium

Each player’s [G] Pokemon can Evolve during the first turn and on the turn he or she plays those Pokemon.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.

Strategy:

Get M Sceptile-EX in play ASAP(taking into account one fact that I may have overlooked previously: Forest of Giant Plants can be used as many times in one turn as you like if it's up. I thought you can only use stadium effects once per turn. However, if the fact is true, then that proves my thought that "stadium effects can only be used once per turn" wrong, further validating this deck as an idea), poison opponent via Ariados's ability, then Jagged Saber away to charge up my Pokemon until they are fully charged, then power away against my foes until all 6 prizes are drawn. If a Mega Evolved or Fire-type pokemon appears, use Malamar-EX, and hope the energy necessary for Malamar-EX to attack at full power is fully realized by luck(its only attack requires flips).

Last edited:
Does Rare Candy stack with Giant Forest of Plants? If so, you should run some in the deck.

Does Rare Candy stack with Giant Forest of Plants? If so, you should run some in the deck.

I'm sorry, but on the first turn for either player, it does not. According to the card's text:

"Choose 1 of your Basic Pokémon in play. If you have a Stage 2 card in your hand that evolves from that Pokémon, put that card on the Basic Pokémon. (This counts as evolving that Pokémon.) You can't use this card during your first turn or on a Basic Pokémon that was put into play this turn."

(I don't know how to quote :p)
Lol, sorry. Derp.

Personally, it's kind of hard to know what needs to be changed until I can play test it, but here is my opinion.
There might be a bit of consistency issue. I understand that you want to use Victreebel's ability to confuse and poison, but that requires discarding energy that you can only get back through the 2 mega turbo and 2 Energy Retreival. Victreebel is also a stage 2, requiring lots of time and space in your deck to set up. And, to be frank, you don't really need poison in the deck. You already have enough firepower on Mega Sceptile to two shot all regular EXs (besides Wailord), and a fairly well powered up Lugia can one shot everything in the format. The only reason you might need the extra damage is if you need to knock out Megas with Mega Sceptile, or if Lugia doesn't quite have enough energy, which would make Victreebel better as more of a tech. Less Victreebel will also make way more room for other cards you might need. If you think the deck would be better with 3 Victreebel than anything, I would suggest more Mega Turbo or Grass Energy.
Unfortunately, I think that there is a little bit of a downside to the Mega Sceptile. The 2 Grass energy that you can attach have to be from your hand, and with only 2 Professors Letter, it isn't going to be too often you get to use the full effect of the attack, letting you attach up to 3 energy per turn. Also, 2 spirit link for your 3 sceptile might be a bit of a problem if you are planning to get a Jagged Saber off first turn.
So my final thoughts?
+ Mega Turbo + Energy Retrieval
+ Sceptile Spirit Link
+ Professors Letter
+ Grass Energy
OR
- Victreebel/Weepinbell/Bellsprout
- Forest of Giant Plants
+ Rare Candy
+ Sceptile Spirit Link
+ Professors Letter
+ Grass Energy

I hope you take this into consideration! (By the way, I am not trying to tell you your deck is bad. I am by no means a great player, so I would love to hear what you think.)

(I don't know how to quote :p)
Lol, sorry. Derp.

Personally, it's kind of hard to know what needs to be changed until I can play test it, but here is my opinion.
There might be a bit of consistency issue. I understand that you want to use Victreebel's ability to confuse and poison, but that requires discarding energy that you can only get back through the 2 mega turbo and 2 Energy Retreival. Victreebel is also a stage 2, requiring lots of time and space in your deck to set up. And, to be frank, you don't really need poison in the deck. You already have enough firepower on Mega Sceptile to two shot all regular EXs (besides Wailord), and a fairly well powered up Lugia can one shot everything in the format. The only reason you might need the extra damage is if you need to knock out Megas with Mega Sceptile, or if Lugia doesn't quite have enough energy, which would make Victreebel better as more of a tech. Less Victreebel will also make way more room for other cards you might need. If you think the deck would be better with 3 Victreebel than anything, I would suggest more Mega Turbo or Grass Energy.
Unfortunately, I think that there is a little bit of a downside to the Mega Sceptile. The 2 Grass energy that you can attach have to be from your hand, and with only 2 Professors Letter, it isn't going to be too often you get to use the full effect of the attack, letting you attach up to 3 energy per turn. Also, 2 spirit link for your 3 sceptile might be a bit of a problem if you are planning to get a Jagged Saber off first turn.
So my final thoughts?
+ Mega Turbo + Energy Retrieval
+ Sceptile Spirit Link
+ Professors Letter
+ Grass Energy
OR
- Victreebel/Weepinbell/Bellsprout
- Forest of Giant Plants
+ Rare Candy
+ Sceptile Spirit Link
+ Professors Letter
+ Grass Energy

I hope you take this into consideration! (By the way, I am not trying to tell you your deck is bad. I am by no means a great player, so I would love to hear what you think.)

Thank you for suggestions!

Come to think of it, I may have one too many of all three cards on the Bellsprout line, and the deck might do better with two of each of the Bellsprout line. The open three are now occupied by one more link, a third letter and one more energy. I wonder if it's enough?

Hi cardjammer,

Personally I would use Ariados instead of Victreebel since he needs much less space in the deck. As several other mentioned it is hard to find a viable partner for M Sceptile Ex. I am not really sold on Lugia Ex since he cannot ohko Mega evolutions and also needs Muscle Band to ohko at least some Pokémon Ex. At the moment I am trying a version which solely focuses on Sceptile Ex and M Sceptile Ex with a tech Malamar Ex in addition to Ariados to have a soft status lock on each turn with M Sceptile Ex. I maxed out on the Sceptile line for this reason and went with an even break between Professor's Letter and Energy Retrieval. Mega Turbo did not seem to be needed but a sold four copies of Trainer's Mail made that deck much more consistent and faster. I also run Cassius in this deck instead of my usual standard AZ to allow me to reshuffle Pokémon such as Malamar Ex, Shaymin Ex and a nearly knocked out M Sceptile Ex back into the deck. This also allows me to reuse the Grass Energies devoted to Malamar Ex to trigger Hyper Hypnosis with Jagged Saber. Did not have the time to test this variant much thus far but I do like the general concept since people only have a limited arsenal of switching and Pokémon retrieval cards.

Hi cardjammer,

Personally I would use Ariados instead of Victreebel since he needs much less space in the deck. As several other mentioned it is hard to find a viable partner for M Sceptile Ex. I am not really sold on Lugia Ex since he cannot ohko Mega evolutions and also needs Muscle Band to ohko at least some Pokémon Ex. At the moment I am trying a version which solely focuses on Sceptile Ex and M Sceptile Ex with a tech Malamar Ex in addition to Ariados to have a soft status lock on each turn with M Sceptile Ex. I maxed out on the Sceptile line for this reason and went with an even break between Professor's Letter and Energy Retrieval. Mega Turbo did not seem to be needed but a sold four copies of Trainer's Mail made that deck much more consistent and faster. I also run Cassius in this deck instead of my usual standard AZ to allow me to reshuffle Pokémon such as Malamar Ex, Shaymin Ex and a nearly knocked out M Sceptile Ex back into the deck. This also allows me to reuse the Grass Energies devoted to Malamar Ex to trigger Hyper Hypnosis with Jagged Saber. Did not have the time to test this variant much thus far but I do like the general concept since people only have a limited arsenal of switching and Pokémon retrieval cards.

My apologies for late reply, but thank you for the lovely Cassius suggestion!

Edited list to account for suggestions, even some Dark energy for Malamar's attack, in case a Fire-type appears in the opposing Active, and putting M-Sceptile in to take weakness would be risky...

But how many Professor's Letters and/or Energy Retrievals did you use? I assume 2 of each. Am I right?

edit: Tinkered with list again, this time to put in a pokemon that makes easy searching for EXes possible. I bet you know what that is, right? It's in the upcoming set...

Last edited:
Back